Positive reviews on appetite suppressants (intracranial hypertension)

Options
Hear me out before you get ne wrong
I was ALWAYS anti pills. I was into habit modification and i genuinely think i did have many breakthroughs. But my weight had yet to go down. I was positive that it would, I was just finding ways that worked for me.
But then, yesterday, i got diagnosed with Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension. It could be life threatening if left untreated. I could lose my vision if left untreated. I'm only 23.
There are lots of obese women in my family. None of them have it.
Anyhow, I was given medications. One of them also works as an appetite suppressant. I was told that losing weight can very well treat it.
Now, I had been already working on losing weight. So I am a little annoyed that I have been given outside help. And tbh, I have accepted it because I was having setbacks when I was doing it on my own and I can't afford to have setbacks.
But the appetite suppressant doesn't give the best sensation. Its slightly overwhelming, especially when I think that eating nice foods genuinely made me happy sometimes. It makes ne feel quite full all the time even when I know I should have been hungry by now on a normal day.
It makes me sad that i might not be able to enjoy food the same way ever again.
But to make this less torturous for myself, i thought i could look for people with success stories who used appetite suppressants. Just some positive reviews to cheer me up possibly.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,977 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    But then, yesterday, i got diagnosed with Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension. It could be life threatening if left untreated. I could lose my vision if left untreated. I'm only 23.

I would say - listen to your doctor. Meds have side effects, sometimes the side effects lessen with time.

I'm assuming you're over-weight? Losing weight and keeping your sight is worth whatever temporary discomfort.
  • Dobbythefreelef
    Dobbythefreelef Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Another thing: what i got prescribed isnt mainly an appetite suppressant. It is a carbonic anhydrase inhibitor that also has appetite suppressant properties. My neurologist prescibed me it.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    One of my meds suppresses appetite, but it's for ADHD, so a little different. I just had to really buckle down with my hunger cues and use calendar reminders to help me remember to eat during the day. What I really wanted to tell you though, is that nice foods aren't gone forever. You can't have all the treats all the time, but it's completely possible to work them into your diet. It's a good idea to, actually. It's true that you shouldn't do anything during weight loss that you aren't willing to do afterwards when you're in maintenance. You'll get the hang of it!
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    i have this and am in remission
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    Well, I did love how I felt on Phen/Fen and I did lose weight. (I wasn't on it long because fenfluramine was withdrawn from the market for safety concerns. While there are also safety concerns for Phentermine, it remains on the market, but I wouldn't personally recommend that particular drug.)

Your side effects may decrease in a few weeks. You could also ask your doctor if there is a lower dose you can start on.