Water intake struggles

Options
Anyone else ever struggle with drinking water? Or are you struggling to drink water? I for sure am struggling. I always have ever since I can remember.
I have think it goes back to my younger childhood years. I honestly only remember having soda or juice or milk served when we ate. An milk was very rare for me because I am lactose intolerant.
Does anyone want to be accountably buddies or give me tips on how to improve my intake. I really don't like it enjoy water at all. Less if it's cold water 😕. Please and thank you in advance.

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,276 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why you think you 'have' to drink water? Juice, soda, coffee, tea,... all contain water and will hydrate you.
    What's more, even water in food counts as well: soup, vegetables and fruits...

If calories are the reason you want to switch, you can find low/no calorie alternatives for sodas, tea and coffee are low calorie if nothing else is added, there are flavorings you can add to water...

I'm not trying to derail you 🙂 but perhaps you are overestimating the need to drink (pure) water.
  • LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    I'm not sure why you think you 'have' to drink water? Juice, soda, coffee, tea,... all contain water and will hydrate you.
    What's more, even water in food counts as well: soup, vegetables and fruits...

If calories are the reason you want to switch, you can find low/no calorie alternatives for sodas, tea and coffee are low calorie if nothing else is added, there are flavorings you can add to water...

I'm not trying to derail you 🙂 but perhaps you are overestimating the need to drink (pure) water.

YES! Well said.
  • HappyNaNaof2
    HappyNaNaof2 Posts: 14 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    @Lietchi , @LiveOnceBeHappy
    I was told I needed to start drinking more water due to kidney issues. I suffer from chronic kidney stones and severe chronic kidney infections. I do drink fresh natural teas also. Those I was told to start limit how much I drink.
    As for foods I will try and incorporate more fruits and vegetables into my diet.
    Thank you both very much
  • Bj0223
    Bj0223 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Ouch, kidney stones are painful. I add lemon slices to my water and it helps, you can add all sorts of fruits/cucumbers to add flavor. I also like the water flavorings like Mio, just a tiny bit adds flavor.
  • HappyNaNaof2
    Options
    @Bj0223 I've never heard of those water pack add ins. Maybe there not available here in Mexico. I'll have to look for some over the summer when I'm visiting Texas.
    Yes, chronic kidney stones are the worse. I've had four times already. Luckily was able to pass at home.
  • llShelly9294ll
    llShelly9294ll Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I also have a very hard time with water intake. Severe reflux and Crohns. It was advised by a doctor to me that I try decaf herbal teas. I suffer from nausea badly and take daily zofran. Something about the warmth helps me. There is lemon zinger, berry zinger for a sweet and tart taste if you add your artificial sweetener. I will soon try warm water with lemon. I no longer can do it, but some do crystal light. Good luck. I would also love to here from more that have a tough time with water intake. Thanks and hope this helps someone
  • HappyNaNaof2
    Options
    @llShelly9294ll My doctor also wants me to do decaf on any type of drink. Caffeine is bad for heart issues I have.
    I'm liking fresh ginger root tea prefer it hot. I know some people like it cold. Maybe you might enjoy it also. I've found it soothing for stomach aches.
    Thank you very much
  • H1There
    H1There Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Water is great. A family member’s cancer team encouraged it heavily because it flushes things out more than anything with flavor in it because your body needs to use water to process those out. I drink a tumbler full and watch a video on YouTube while I sip the whole thing. 24 oz and do that multiple times a day. It helps to set a reminder as well (or my family member reminds me since we live together). Hope this helps :)
  • HappyNaNaof2
    Options
    @H1There As a cancer survivor and having my mom pass from cancer I can use this to help me remember. My kidneys will also appreciate me drinking the water. Thank you for sharing 😊
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,509 Member
    Options
    Have you considered drinking fruit infusion teas? Contain no sugar (well, next to none I suppose) and can have lots of flavour. My personal favourite is rosehip/hibiscus as it's very fruity and very red. If you can't find it easily, it's often available in Polish/other Eastern European shops. It's also very tasty when chilled. Or try other fruit infusions.
  • Moondoggie9155
    Moondoggie9155 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    For some reason I find carrying a container with a straw ( like my yeti) I tend to drink a lot more water. Don’t ask me why but it works for me. Before that I would really struggle with water intake
  • MartyF4
    MartyF4 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I tend to like warm drinks in the winter. I use a little lemon juice and monk fruit sweetener or fresh mint leaves. And then there are the Costco cases of selzer. Sometimes I put my selzer in a wine glass and add a wedge of orange or cucumber or rasberries. Makes me feel like I am having a cocktail.