Question reguarding HIIT

Options
I have been doing high intensity interval training on a precor elliptical. I do 10 mins before workout and 15 mins after. I set the resistance to 6 do that for a minute then do 30 seconds on 15 as fast as I can. Its really hard and my heartbeat gets up to about 160. I am 31 male. I feel like I should go longer but after the second round I am tired. Does it sound like I am doing it correctly?

Replies

• JennBrown83
    JennBrown83 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I use the precor elliptical too and I love it, without knowing more about ur current weight, height, and what else you're doing during your exercise routine I couldn't begin to answer the question. if you are really concerned that you're doing it wrong/right whatever, then maybe you should talk to someone at your gym or see if you have a personal trainer i'd talk to them. My personal trainer shows me what levels to use and what duration...hope that helps.
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    You have to give yourself a recovery period in there. I typically do 30 seconds all out fast on the elliptical, whatever resistance, and then 90 seconds recovery, slow, no resistance. If you don't give yourself a break you will tire out too easily.
  • hayescarmen364
    Options
    Try changing what your doing for HIIT. Try going 30 seconds of your high level and then 60 seconds rest. I dont know anything about that Machine but I do it when I run. I run 9mph for 30 seconds and jog or walk either 5 mph or walk 3 mph. And do it again for about 20 minutes. Its tough when your first starting out and I know a lot of people who starts trying HIIT saying they feel like they should do more. After a few weeks you will be doing much better if you train hard at it and dont give up. Good luck on it.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    You should feel your heart pumping out of your chest at the end of each round! Then you should recover to the point of being able to breathe again before you start again.

I do a HIIT with Turbofire and she does 40seconds High, 40 seconds low for 7 rounds! Plus warm up and warm down, 20mins all in.

You can do any interval you like, depends on your fitness, but I'd say if you feel you could go longer, then you should go longer! Try 45/45 or 60/60.........??

Good luck :drinker:
  • maui454
    Options
    I do get the heart pumping out of my chest. (it feels great) I am 6ft2 232 lbs and I work out/cardio at least 3 days a week. I have lost 25lbs since April and just on Monday I benched 200lbs. I want to rep my weight. The description of hiit that I heard is run for your life for 20-30 seconds and rest for a minute. Supposedly you can do 20-30 mins and it burns a good amount of calories. I can't afford a session with a personal trainer so I ask advice here. Thanks all
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    don't do HIIT before resistance training, you're wearing yourself out and won't be able to get as good of a workout in. you should prob do HIIT on off days and LISS after lifting imo
  • Katie3784
    Options
    I do HIIT on an elliptical also. What I do is a 5 minute warmup at 8 resistance, then I do 10 rounds of alternating between 20 seconds at level 13 and 40 seconds at level 9. Then I do a 5 minute cool down. HIIT is hard, but it's an incredible workout, plus it only takes 20 minutes. Google "tabata method" and try it out if you want a quick, extremely intense workout.