Foods I've been eating more of for better health

Options
Whole wheat anything! - multi-grain doesn't usually count, but is better than refined. I've switched to eating whole wheat tortillas, mostly whole wheat bread, whole wheat crackers, baking with white whole wheat flour (tastier than regular to me), and I use whole wheat pasta when I can. Today at Trader Joe's, I found wheat crumpets, so I'm gonna give them a try.

Basil- I take basil supplements, I eat fresh basil, and I eat pesto WHENEVER possible because I love it so much. Basil is good for you.

Garlic- I cook with dried or fresh garlic a lot. Delicious and good for lowering bad cholesterol.

Dark chocolate- antioxidants and no butter fat. Vegan when high quality.

Cinnamon- also has antioxidants, and has anti-viral (including HIV) properties in the whole form, as well as anti-cancer in the lower digestive system.

Spice, not Salt- substitute the salt you add to your food with pepper or salt-free seasoning/fresh herbs whenever possible and you may decide you don't need the salt. Spiciness also boosts metabolism.

These are just a few things I've been focusing on during my dieting journey. What healthy foods have you started eating more of ?

Replies

• luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    no bread here. no sugar here. Lots of fresh fruits and veggies and lean protein :)
  • theboobninja
    theboobninja Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    For sure! Sounds like you are on a super hard core lifestyle change. Summer is a great time for heirloom tomatoes and peaches. I'm gonna miss it.
  • joakool
    joakool Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I didn't know Basil was that good for you - - I thought it just smelled good! LOL. I try to eat more fish now. As a matter of fact, I had an ahi tuna steak for dinner tonight. :smile:
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    When I go to the grocery store on the weekend, I buy 2 kinds of fruit to eat during the week. I try to mix it up as much as possible!

This weekend I plan on buying Blueberries and Bananas and have 1 each a day. I just read in Runner's World that these were both EXCELLENT for runner's!!

Yeah! I'm looking forward to eating next week. I'm a dork! haha.
  • mary020378
    Options
    im waiting for my loca grocery store to carry walnut oil. its very healthy high in omega 3s to help cut that belly fat. very excited to start using that and it will give foods a good walnutty taste when i do need to use it
  • theboobninja
    theboobninja Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Apparently being obsessed with food works if you put the right energy into it. I really love shopping for groceries personally. Blueberries are great! And grapes as well- mostly the skin though, and they are good for people with sleep problems because they have a bit of melatonin in them.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of focusing on the YESes not the NOs..

Lower LDLs
    Salmon- also... lean protein - happy fats for brain function
    Olive Oil- also... lean protein - happy fats for brain function
    Mango
    Oatmeal
    Red Grapes

Anti-arthritis
    Tumeric
    Ginger
    Cinnamon

Natural Anti-biotic (very low level not a substitute for penicillin)
    Honey
    Garlic

Anti-Oxident
    Cranberries
    Blueberries
    Dark Chocolate
  • ymvestal
    Options
    Lots more fruits and veggies, high protein, minimal processed carbs.