Carbs

Options
I'm trying low carb diet. How does my carbs used for day go from 8% to 5% after I added a meal?

Answers

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,383 Member
    Options
    Your percentage of carbs will change every time you add food, unless that food coincidentally has the same carb percentage as the foods entered already.
    MFP calculates the carb percentage based on the total amount of carbs and the total number of calories entered, so it's logical that it changes as you log more foods.
  • KATHY_GOOD1
    KATHY_GOOD1 Posts: 4 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    I'm glad to see another person doing low carb. I started a low carb journey this week and I'm figuring it out. I really analyze my meals on the MFP food log, especially the carb column, and use the pie chart at the bottom.

Today I saw if I had an entire avocado it would push me over my carb goal, so instead I had half an avocado and added sour cream to my breakfast omelet, and that kept me in the carb range I wanted today. Every item I enter into the food log changes the percentage, and I really had to learn how to figure out carbs until I 'got it', but I am still learning and have a long way to go.

I am incorporating intermittent fasting with my low carbs. I have lost weight this week, and here is my journey so far:
    Tues 1/30 Fasted 20 hours. Meals were super high in calories and carbs. Waaaaay over my goals Didn't surprise me because this was my first starting day and I wasn't trying to be perfect.
    Wed 2/1 Fast 22 hours. Meals were still high in calories and carbs, and way way over my goals, but I did make plans to swap out foods that are raising my numbers before I made a trip to the grocery store.
    Thur 2/2 No fasting - calories 1772; carbs 8%
    Fri 2/1 No fasting - cals 1601; carbs 7%

The only way I am able to keep carbs low is by using the MFP food log pie chart. My understanding of the equation used to calculate carbs is:

[(total grams of carbs X 4) / (total calories)] X 100 = Carb Percentage

I'm still learning but quite happy with dropping a couple pounds this week. Good luck to you!