Do you think antidepressants made you gain a lot of weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• ghrmj
    ghrmj Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on why you take them. I took Zoloft (25 years ago) and gained weight. But my BMI was like 17 and I was taking it for an anxiety/OCD disorder - at that time in my life my anxiety killed my desire to eat. So the medication did what it was supposed to and I gained weight.
    My opinion is that it is the change in one's mental state that influences the weight gain/loss - not the medication per se. But maybe that is splitting hairs.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    nay0m3 wrote: »

I am hopeful I truly can find the ability to navigate PMDD on my own!

If you aren't already familiar with it, I highly, highly, highly recommend NaProTechnology. Their approach is very different from conventional gynecological practice (in the US, at least) but is solidly backed by research. Finding local providers can be tricky sometimes but I know a lot of people who have been helped by it.
  • sheahughes
    sheahughes Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Definitely No
    Been on cymbalta for 4 years and others previously.
    Currently on highest possible dose
    Anti depressant medication has had no effect on my weight loss or weight gain
  • pink_mint
    pink_mint Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Definitely Yes
    It really depends on which one. When I was on Celexa 15 + years ago I gained. Then when I was on Wellbutrin I lost. It also depends on your unique reaction to the meds. It is not helpful when people say that it has nothing to do with you meds if you gain weight. Yes it's behavior, however some meds just increase your appetite to where you're depressed if you don't eat. That was my experience.
  • JLG1986
    JLG1986 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Maybe No
    Raely101 wrote: »
    I gained a lot of weight but was it the anti-depressants or was it the depression? In my case I think it was the latter.

Yup, I second that!
  • ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Definitely No
    I have been on Lexapro for 15 plus years and I have maintained and even lost more weight on it. Currently I am tapering off Lexapro and starting Presitq due to increased anxiety. I remember trying Zoloft and my appetite soared through the roof. I could see how one may gain weight if the drug makes you tired. I honestly believe that it depends on the drug and how it reacts with your body.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Definitely No
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    [My No vote is because there are antidepressants not associated with weight gain, such as Wellbutrin, which I took off and on for 20 years until it stopped working for me, and while I think it's fair to say something like "Some antidepressants can increase appetite" I don't think it's fair to make a blanket statement that "Antidepressants cause weight gain."]
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    From the Mayo Clinic:
    Can antidepressants cause weight gain?
    Answer From Daniel K. Hall-Flavin, M.D.
    Weight gain is a possible side effect of nearly all antidepressants. However, each person responds to antidepressants differently. Some people gain weight when taking a certain antidepressant, while others don't.

Generally speaking, some antidepressants seem more likely to cause weight gain than others. These include:

Certain tricyclic antidepressants, such as amitriptyline, imipramine (Tofranil)
    Certain monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs), such as phenelzine (Nardil)
    Paroxetine (Paxil, Pexeva), a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI)
    Mirtazapine (Remeron), which is an atypical antidepressant — medication that doesn't fit neatly into another antidepressant category
    While some people gain weight after starting an antidepressant, the antidepressant isn't always a direct cause. Many factors can contribute to weight gain during antidepressant therapy. For example:

Overeating or inactivity as a result of depression can cause weight gain.
    Some people lose weight as part of their depression. In turn, an improved appetite associated with improved mood may result in increased weight.
    Adults generally tend to gain weight as they age, regardless of the medications they take.

Ugh, I am sleeping SO well on Remeron, but my appetite is ridiculously high. I thought it's been like that since my surgery Nov 3, but perhaps it goes back to when I started the Remeron, which was earlier in the fall. I'm under a lot of stress and self-medicating with food, and don't know how much of my appetite is physical and how much is emotional.

Remeron + gabapentin + melatonin (and larger bladder capacity now that I no longer have uterine fibroids) is giving me the best sleep I've had in 20 years but I can't deal with overeating due to being hungry all the time. I'd been thinking it was emotional so it's good to have read this, and confirmed in a quick search for "remeron increased appetite."

Back to the doctor...

I sent an email to my doctor and got back an "I'm sorry to hear...make an appointment." At first the scheduler said the earliest phone appointment was 2 months out. I told her this was unacceptable. Then she found one a month out. Then she said she'd sent a note to the doctor to try to squeeze me in.

Meanwhile, I've halved the Remeron, which is the dose I started on last fall. I've had an 18 month break from Wellbutrin/Bupropion and plan to ask on going back on that.

As for sleep, well, there's something legal in my state that works fairly well which I discontinued when I started the Remeron but have quite a stash.

ETA: the scheduler called back and gave me an appt today at 2. :smiley:

I'm a veteran with health insurance through the VA and I have found it imperative to be aggressively proactive with my healthcare, but I'm sure this can be valuable with regular insurance as well.

People, don't settle for an antidepressant with bad side effects - there are so many out there - the trial and error is worth it - work with your doctor.

I've been taking a half dose of Remeron the past two nights and am not sleeping as well, but haven't tried adding in other stuff yet.

I'm going to be starting on Trintellix (vortioxetine) when it arrives in a few days. It's not in the VA formulary but my doctor got it approved because we have tried so many other antidepressants. Oh, and she said Remeron is their antidepressant MOST associated with increased appetite. FFS. >.< :angry:

So I've been on half dose of Remeron for a week and my appetite has decreased from "ravenous" to "able to meet calorie budget if I earn 700 exercise calories and eat at maintenance" which is about 550 calories more than I want to be eating.

I started the Trintellix today and last night will be the last dose of Remeron. Definitely having to work harder at sleep hygiene in order to get a good night's sleep.

I'm still really angry at my psychiatrist. This is the second time she flubbed my meds. The first time I had side effects that landed me in the ER.

Making a note for myself and others who may be interested that it took about 5 weeks of being off Remeron for my appetite to return to normal.

I ended up not continuing with the Trintellix. I felt overmedicated and not safe to drive during the day and felt that my sleep was adversely affected at night.

I'd like to go back on Wellbutrin via Contrave when I am eligible in a month or two after I finish the VA MOVE program and get to see the MOVE doctor, the only type of doctor in the VA who can prescribe weight loss drugs.