Losing my motivation

Options
I need the sun and autumm is depressing, even worse a Chicago winter......It is time to Hibernate, eat and watch movies under the covers.:yawn:
How do you guys deal with it? How do you motivate yourself?

Replies

• WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    Sometimes i have my water bottle and some gum with me when watching movies under the covers. In the winter, i bundle up really good and go for walks when I can or do indoor exercise. See if that helps. :smile:
  • ninismom
    Options
    get ye self to thy gym. Hopefully they also have a tanning bed. Tanning beds will help with the doldrums. Take it from a former hoosier who now lives in FLA. Good luck. Don't get sucked under the covers..... April is a long way away.
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    i love walking around in the fall. it's the only exercise i get these days, but walking at least two hours a day (to and from work is an hour) seems to be paying off. slow and steady, but i'm happy with that.
  • sarahttini
    Options
    <--- Book yourself a vacation someplace tropical (like my picture) so you have a goal to work towards or think about an outfit that you'd love to rock during the holidays.

I live in Hawaii and when it's hot out...it's hard to find motivation to want to go and work out! It's just the opposite, I like to stay inside where it's cool and watch movies. :tongue:
  • mmuzzatti
    mmuzzatti Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I agree, I have only heard stories about Chicago and will never visit it in the winter due to the fact that I so love the Chicago that I only know in the summer. With that said I have I live in DC and it gets cold here too. I have given myself a NSV of travel to Aruba in January so I have something really great to look forward too. Why not try something like that. Could be simple as Florida or South Carolina. Just a thought. Good luck...see you in April!
  • Stutz77
    Stutz77 Posts: 113
    Options
    Last winter was hard for me. I grew up in Buffalo, NY but I have lived the last 4 years in Key West, FL until last winter when I had to move to Montana. That took me some getting used to. Back home I loved fall, and winter was fine until New Year's then it can go. I forgotten than. I spent most of last winter working out at the gym for 2 hours every night and then I would come home and take either a long hot bath or shower and then crawl into bed with a good book (love to read murder mysteries and those chick books) I would fall asleep pretty fast though. I am hoping this year maybe to be better adjusted to winter and try and enjoy some winter sports. Will see!

Just keep up your motivation as best as you can and remember your MFP friends are here to help!
  • Giraffe33991
    Giraffe33991 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Yup, I moved to FL 10 years ago. The humidity sucks, but I'd rather be frizzy than depressed. I do miss the change in seasons though (rainy season to dry season doesn't count!)
  • vettermr
    Options
    I need the sun and autumm is depressing, even worse a Chicago winter......It is time to Hibernate, eat and watch movies under the covers.:yawn:

I live in Chicago too and have the same problem. I joined my gym last winter and since I have nothing else to do, I workout after work so I don't have to leave once I get home. Taking my gym bag with helps a lot.
  • aquasw16
    aquasw16 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I just joined a gym, I am going to start taking group classes in hopes to meet some people who also like to be active!
  • lovestobaketoo
    lovestobaketoo Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I am from the burbs, so I hear ya!! I do buy really good winter outdoor gear, including treks for my shoes to stay movingoutside:)
  • farfalledibaciodinotte
    Options
    LMAO! I'm a life long floridian from Orlando, and now I'm living inOklahoma City ... I was born in Ohio soo I LOVE LOVE LOVE the AUTUMN!!! I love the smell of the air when it finally turns from summer to fall... I would so much rather be cold than hot. haha
  • Stoosshelby
    Options
    Chicago can be depressing in the winter! But I always start a project in the fall that will carry me through til spring. This year I am building a doll house for my grandaughter. Oh, that and I eat lots of sugar free jello! :)
  • alm0dni
    alm0dni Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am the same way...WInter is horrible! However I noticed my biggest problem I had was myself. I made excuses for EVERYTHING! It was too hot, or too cold, or raining, or I was just TOO tired. But I have started tp change the way I am thinking. It is hard, but it can be done. I tell myself that I CAN do this and that I will not give up! It is worth the goal in the end, if I don;t stick to it, I will just end up fatter and unhappy with less energy :(
    Tonight I wasn't going to work out. I was walking with my little boy teaching him how to skate. And he said, "I can't do this!" And I looked at him and said" You can do anything you WANT to do!" Then I thought to myself, well I can't go telling my 5 year old that he can do anything he puts his mind to and then just give up on myself! SO I went home and worked out! I have to say when it is all said and done, it feels pretty damn good!
  • shannon_stallone
    Options
    I feel the same way..I live in Illinois and the autumn has been so depressing lately...I have made a promise to myself when I'm watching tv to fit some free weight time and situps in...I work on my feet all the time so on my days off I don't feel like doing anything, but I'm forcing myself....
  • WenniL
    Options
    I live in central ohio. Spring and fall are my fav seasons. I work in construction so in the summer I'm usually working too much or out of town too much to go work out, but in the winter, I don't like to be cold. I make a deal with myself...
    1. Make a calander for yourself. Everyday you make it to the gym give yourself a star or a sticker or something.
    2. Set a goal. for every month or quarter you make it to the gym X number of times(my number is 18/mo. - I don't go on weekends), give yourself a reward. Those new shoes you want...that new purse, splurge on that expensive pair of jeans, etc.
    3. If it's a horrible day, I tell myself "ok, if i'm willing to give up that sticker for today, and if i can run up and down my stairs X number of times, do X number of sit ups/mountain climbers, etc ...then I will skip the gym for today". Set a goal for running up and down staris or sit ups/mountain climbers or whatever that is going to be a challenge to you.

I hate doing mountain climbers, so for myself...I say if I do 100 mountain climbers and am willing to give up that sticker....then stay home from the gym. But the key is....if you're going to pass on the gym....you gotta do the work at home. And you can't give in....if you didn't make that goal, then you can't have the reward....don't just go out and buy that new purse just because you've given up and you think you really want it.

I also agree with the previous posts about the nice warm vaca place...if you can afford that. But, me personally...I can't afford a vaca like that...so i stick to more affordable things for me. Purses, shoes, jewelery....etc. Whatever you like that you wouldn't normally spoil yourself with.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

Get under the covers with someone and have an AWESOME workout
  • Circa1964
    Circa1964 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I seem to "hibernate" every winter also. I struggle. I need to read these posts to see if it will help me also. I live in Oklahoma, at least I don't have similar weather. It gets cold, but not like you have it.
  • CarlaJean140down
    CarlaJean140down Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Love BigDaddyBRC's idea but if it is not an option then I agree with hit the gym...I love my gym....I go there regularly...even in the summer! I have met so many people there, and we all have the same purpose in mind...and we hold each other accountable for being there! It is a lot easier to go knowing you have people to support your efforts :)
  • shannon_stallone
    Options

Get under the covers with someone and have an AWESOME workout

Haha thats great!