Protein powders

Options
What is everyone's favorite go to protein powders? Brands, flavors, protein amounts??? Whey protein or plant based?
I'm currently using a plant based that has 20 grams in each serving.

Replies

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    Any of several whey brands that have a sale on of whatever flavor is cheap at the time, out of Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard, Dymatize Iso100, and I recently got some Muscle Milk powder in Xmas sales around $30 for 5 pounds, and I like the taste of that and the macros are decent.

I'll have 35g-50g daily total in 2-3 servings through the day, depending how much I need to meet my daily protein target.
  • heart3313
    heart3313 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    That's great!
  • clairrob
    clairrob Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My favourite so far is the Applied Nutrition whey and whey isolates, their strawberry flavour is gorgeous, the choco bueno not so much though :( 47g of protein and 187 calories for 2 scoops.

And I have recently bought the protein pancake mix from Protein Works (just add milk or water) and it's so nice. 32g of protein per 'batch' and 203 calories.
  • RosyBest
    RosyBest Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Pemier Protein (chocolate) it is sooo good And it has 30g of protein!
  • dkingdom1
    dkingdom1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Currently using Optimum Nutrition- it’s 24g protein in 120 cal per scoop (for the vanilla flavor). The chocolate peanut butter is ok but not as versatile as vanilla. I used to hate the taste but now I blend it just lightly with 8oz almond milk.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    MP Combat 100% whey cookies and cream.
  • heart3313
    Options
    clairrob wrote: »
    My favourite so far is the Applied Nutrition whey and whey isolates, their strawberry flavour is gorgeous, the choco bueno not so much though :( 47g of protein and 187 calories for 2 scoops.

And I have recently bought the protein pancake mix from Protein Works (just add milk or water) and it's so nice. 32g of protein per 'batch' and 203 calories.

That's a insane amount for 1 serving! Wow!
  • heart3313
    Options
    Has anyone tried a pea based protein?! I like it a lot as it's easier to digest for me... I found this info on google too..
    "Studies show that pea protein powder can help build muscle when paired with resistance training. In one 12-week study, weight-lifting men who consumed 50 grams of pea protein per day gained the same amount of muscle as those taking whey protein"

Just interesting to try different things along this journey :)
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,008 Member
    Options
    I typically use ready-made shakes from Body Fortress, 40g protein for 180 calories, as it's easy to just throw one into my gym bag and go. I also keep one in my work desk for days work won't allow me to eat lunch, or if my projected protein for the day doesn't look like it'll be covered through food alone. The taste and texture are close enough to a milkshake that I enjoy drinking it for its own sake, let alone the protein it provides.

I haven't tried the powder version, though there are times when the ready-made shake is sold out so I have a small supply on hand to supplement if needed in the future.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I’m a fan of Syntrax Nectar. My favorites are Roadside Lemonade and Caribbean Cooler. 23 grams of protein for 100 calories a scoop.
  • PeteLee1491
    PeteLee1491 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard Whey (Vanilla Ice Cream Flavor). They sell the 80 serving size at costco for $71, compared to the 73 (or 5 lb) serving size from most other places, that costs $85, and you get less. It's a steal!

It tastes great, and is great for the macros, 1 rounded scoop (29.4g) is 120 Cal, 3g carbs, 1g fat, and 24g protein.

I also find that the Vanilla Ice Cream Flavor is a much better tasting vanilla than the "Vanilla" Flavor of the same brand. Highly recommend.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    heart3313 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried a pea based protein?! I like it a lot as it's easier to digest for me... I found this info on google too..
    "Studies show that pea protein powder can help build muscle when paired with resistance training. In one 12-week study, weight-lifting men who consumed 50 grams of pea protein per day gained the same amount of muscle as those taking whey protein"

Just interesting to try different things along this journey :)

I have not tried pea protein, but unlike most plant based proteins, it's actually a complete source of all 9 amino acids just like meat. I'd say one benefit to pea protein vs whey is that whey is pretty much just a protein supplement...pea protein being plant derived has other nutritional qualities like fiber and more vitamins and minerals.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I've honestly never found a brand of vegan protein powder that I actually liked a lot or loved. I prefer Whey Protein Isolate (vs. Concentrate) because I find that concentrate isn't the best friend of my digestive system. LOL.

The ISO100 protein powders have all been good that I've tried. Really most whey protein isolate ones I've tried have always been the best.

If you choose to use a vegan protein powder just make sure that the protein sources used make up a complete protein. Usually they do (but there have to typically be more than one type of protein -- unless you're using soy).
  • Thewonderofitall
    Thewonderofitall Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have decided that Pea Protein is the best for me.

I like this:

17d5y5ui0sfe.jpg

• heart3313
    Options
    That's awesome about the pea proteins. I have a great one... message me and I can share :)
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Leanfit Protein & Greens, vanilla. Disclaimer that I've never tried it on its own - I make a smoothie for breakfast on weekdays and throw a scoop in there.
  • Ghostofachance
    Ghostofachance Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    The vegan Orgain is a solid choice - 21g of protein and 150 calories/serving. I like the chocolate fudge flavor in plant-based milk. I also like the Huel Complete Protein but it is expensive compared to other options.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,895 Member
    Options
    When I use to use protein powder it was Optimum Nutrition Gold. I get enough protein now without supplementing. If a persons diet is lacking protein it appears either plant or animal powders are pretty much the same and not worth worrying about. imo
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    One caution against pea protein is that there is the possibility that peas are linked to infertility, to the degree that they have even been studied for possible use as contraceptives. (This link is to a blog post, but the author links several relevant studies, though a couple links are sadly broken as the post was originally made in 2018.) It seems like this could be the case for both men and women. It's not definitive, but enough to make me nervous as far as my own consumption. (And before you say "I've seen you around, penguinmama, and don't you already have six kids, you crazy lady?" I would say, you're right, but for people of reproductive years fertility problems can often be a warning for other things, even if you're not especially concerned about your own childbearing.)

I stick to whey, and nutritional yeast, but I'm not really sure that "counts" as protein powder per se, though I do use it as a supplement. I'm not a shake person but add it to other foods, preferring as little change to taste and texture as possible.
  • sjl0210
    sjl0210 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Tbh I only buy the ones on sale with highest amount of protein per scoop o:)