Getting burnt out counting calories?

Options
Does anyone else start losing their motivation to count calories? Like after a month I start cutting corners - start trying to "memorize" my calorie count for the day.

Any solutions?

Replies

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,773 Member
    Options
    You get somewhat of a feel for what you’re taking in calorie wise after you’ve been counting for awhile and how those calories affect you and your body composition. The thing with counting is it keeps you accountable.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,532 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Is the issue about the mental regimen of counting, or the time it takes to enter stuff in MFP? Because if it's the latter, it's only a few minutes per day for me. My regular meals are saved, my recent foods are frequently used, and the majority of the time it's just a quick cut and paste to enter today's inputs. If it's the former, well that's part of the journey. If you want results, it helps to be accountable to yourself.
  • dvoncino
    dvoncino Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    @Retroguy2000 - It is more of the latter. For foods I eat all the time, I agree it is easy to enter into MFP. When I have a more "complicated" meal (like at a restaurant) or a totally new food, going through the process of finding it on MFP and recording it properly does burn me out over time. Additionally, I do snack quite a bit. I know snacks add up so I want to record them. But constantly adding every thing little thing into MFP is somewhat draining.

I'm really just curious if anyone has been able to reduce some of the friction here.
  • sbelletti
    sbelletti Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I prefer to prelog my meals every day, usually the night before. I get all the logging done at once, then if it's in my Diary I eat it. If not, I can decide if I want the hassle of going back in and updating my diary or (what usually happens...) choose not to eat the food. Win-win for me.
  • tomcustombuilder
    Options
    dvoncino wrote: »
    @Retroguy2000 - It is more of the latter. For foods I eat all the time, I agree it is easy to enter into MFP. When I have a more "complicated" meal (like at a restaurant) or a totally new food, going through the process of finding it on MFP and recording it properly does burn me out over time. Additionally, I do snack quite a bit. I know snacks add up so I want to record them. But constantly adding every thing little thing into MFP is somewhat draining.

I'm really just curious if anyone has been able to reduce some of the friction here.
    As far as restaurants you won’t be able to be super accurate so just get it close and not worry about it. Some places list the calories though. Try to err on the high side rather than the low side if they don’t list the calories.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,558 Member
    Options
    dvoncino wrote: »

Different people find different styles of logging easier and more natural. Some people find logging to not be the right tool for them.

You'll need to figure out what route works best for you to get to your goals, and take responsibility for both finding and implementing it. There is no alternative to that . . . other than giving up your goals. There's no magic, just boring old "taking responsibility". I wish it were otherwise.

I agree with others that logging is a more complicated skill than many appreciate. There's a learning curve, and there will be more mistakes at first, and it will take longer at first. That's how learning works, right? If logging is the right tool for you, just keep chipping away at it.

Like others have said, once I understood the tool, got meals/recipes/frequent foods set up usefully to my routine, learned how to find good database entries, honed my estimating skills for meals out . . . it was easier, took less time. (It sometimes surprises new folks to learn that getting/using a food scale at home is one of the ways to save time, not just to be more accurate.)

It's a rare day now - nearing year 8 on MFP - that logging takes me even as much as 10 minutes. For me, that's an absurdly tiny price to pay for staying at a healthy weight after around 30 previous years of overweight/obesity, and feeling confident that I get the good overall nutrition I need for health. I admit, nowadays I do skip logging the occasional d ay or few, either because I'm busy, or it would be only a super-approximate estimate anyway, or something like that.

But I logged like it was religion all through just under a year losing weight, and for some months into maintenance, so I was confident in my routine. (Now I have a vague idea of the off days' impact, just watch the scale as guardrails around the off days.

I'm a different style than some of the others: I usually just note what I've eaten on a piece of paper (blank side of junk mail), log it into MFP at the end of the meal or day. At first, I did need to pre-log bits of dinner to dial into my goals, but now I come close enough most days just on intuition, and my late day logging tells me what size of treat there's room for, if I want one.

If I need to estimate, I estimate, then let it goal. What's the worst that could happen? Wild estimates are rare, were even when I was logging meticulously every day. Even being off by 1000 calories (improbable after a bit of practice) is only a third of a pound of body fat, tops. Meh. I won't be that far off very often, and if I try never to lowball my estimates, lows and highs will probably balance out.

Logging may not be the right tool for you. We have no idea. To find out, you'll need to buckle down and give it a fair chance. If that's undoable, pick a different weight management strategy. Calorie counting isn't the only option, it's just a quite transparent and simple one.
  • DebbsSeattle
    DebbsSeattle Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    It is a choice. For me, I will need to log forever. 102 days in and every time I try to eat first log second I blow it. I do have preset meals that I know that are “legal” to eat then log and I allow fresh veg to be a freebie if I forget to measure grams. It is the same willpower that I draw upon to ignore sweets or say “NO” to late night snacks. If it is important to you, you will find your best method.
  • Rockmama1111
    Rockmama1111 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Yes, I get burnt out on logging, but I might just be burnt out on thinking about my diet constantly. I wish I could be one of those people that decides to lose weight and then starts eating less and making better choices, but I’m not that kind of people anymore! If I stop logging now, I’ll be ordering takeout and having midnight ham sandwiches in no time. I’ll get sloppy.

I won’t do it forever (it drives me crazy when I’m cooking because I don’t like following recipes) but if I really want to lose weight (I do) I’ve got to commit for the short term. My hope is that I gain new habits and won’t need to worry about reducing calories ever again.

One additional benefit of logging is the nutrition data I get. I’m more health-focused than looks-focused this time around. I’ve been able to make some adjustments that I wouldn’t have known to make. For example, I’m consistently very low on potassium, so it’s more potatoes and bananas for me!
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,532 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    @dvoncino

It's very possible you're doing new foods and restaurants more often than I am. I agree it can be an inconvenience, but even in the absence of specific nutrition info from the restaurant, you can ballpark estimate it, or maybe cut and paste from a similar meal at a different restaurant that's already in your diary.

e.g. I had brunch at some restaurant for the first time this weekend. When I got home I added several of my own saved meals which had some of the components, e.g. scrambled eggs, biscuit, sausages, etc. and cobbled together an estimate for the meal I had. Sure it may be off, but it's a starting point, and it didn't take me long.

What saves me time I think is I'm very focused on my protein goal, so most of my day is pre-planned in advance, so I can put more or less into my protein powder drinks as required to meet my target.

Other people have a generic food item saved for "stuff", which may be 100 calories of say 60% cals carbs, 30% cals fat, 10% cals protein, as an example, just pulling numbers out of the air to represent a typical snack maybe a cookie or whatever. And they fill the diary with several "stuffs" as needed.

Coincidentally, I just had a pre-workout snack, and this cookie type is something I very rarely have. Rather than look it up and check the info blah blah, I know the total calories are 170 so I just added 2 of a common snack I have to get the same calorie total. I don't care that the macros would be off a gram or two off in this case. Quick and easy.
  • nsk1951
    nsk1951 Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I get you ... cause I am debating giving up logging as well. I've been logging my food for 10 years .. (not under my present User Name, and not always on MFP, but other apps). Had it made a big dent in my weight? Not really ... Oh , I've lost 70 pounds over time, but logging food didn't cause me to lose.

What it did do was help me focus on the quality and quantity of food I ate.

I agree ... if your diet is self-made and varied due to your creativity with your recipes, it does get to be a pain and time consuming to log ... more so in other apps than here on MFP ...

As someone else suggested ... can you snap a photo of your plates for every thing you eat and keep a photo diary somewhere that you can reliably and faithfully revisit? Or can you snap a photo so that you can create the food to log later on? ... both things are those I resort to.

Good luck what ever you decide to do. The important thing, I think, is to be aware of the food and of how you feel before, during, and after eating it.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,403 Member
    Options
    Yes, I get burnt out on logging, but I might just be burnt out on thinking about my diet constantly. I wish I could be one of those people that decides to lose weight and then starts eating less and making better choices, but I’m not that kind of people anymore! If I stop logging now, I’ll be ordering takeout and having midnight ham sandwiches in no time. I’ll get sloppy.

I won’t do it forever (it drives me crazy when I’m cooking because I don’t like following recipes) but if I really want to lose weight (I do) I’ve got to commit for the short term. My hope is that I gain new habits and won’t need to worry about reducing calories ever again.

One additional benefit of logging is the nutrition data I get. I’m more health-focused than looks-focused this time around. I’ve been able to make some adjustments that I wouldn’t have known to make. For example, I’m consistently very low on potassium, so it’s more potatoes and bananas for me!

I am curious if you "aren't that kind of people" with respect to food choices and portion control, what do you plan to do after you reach your goal weight? Many people find maintaining their weight loss as hard or harder as losing, and many people including me still log. After you reach your goal (your short term commitment), what will be the difference then that you won't be ordering takeout and having ham sandwiches?

I encourage you to go ahead and give some thought about what you'll do and how you'll manage your food choices and portions BEFORE you get there. Then as you get close, you can maybe slow down your loss rate and settle in to maintenance.

• tomcustombuilder
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »

I am curious if you "aren't that kind of people" with respect to food choices and portion control, what do you plan to do after you reach your goal weight? Many people find maintaining their weight loss as hard or harder as losing, and many people including me still log. After you reach your goal (your short term commitment), what will be the difference then that you won't be ordering takeout and having ham sandwiches?

I encourage you to go ahead and give some thought about what you'll do and how you'll manage your food choices and portions BEFORE you get there. Then as you get close, you can maybe slow down your loss rate and settle in to maintenance.
    Losing the weight is easier than maintaining for many people. The fat loss phase has an end to it however maintenance is pretty much forever and maintenance can in some cases be the cals you end up with after leaning out or maybe just a little higher.

If you plateau for a few weeks when you get to your goal weight that’s a good sign you’re at maintenance there.

Once the weight is off many people consider “job done” and just go back to the way they used to eat in the pounds go right back on fairly quickly

• Rockmama1111
    Rockmama1111 Posts: 262 Member
    Options

I have managed my weight fairly well for my whole adult life. I took off pregnancy weight three times in the past 25 years and am not new to the process. I’m back because I’ve put on 20 pounds since 2020. Middle age, pandemic, getting comfortable, all the excuses. I have 7 pounds to go and I’ve upped my calories and am going very slow, so not far off from maintenance. I’m retraining myself, really. I will stop logging at some point and my plan is to watch the scale a little closer and I will return to logging for a while when/if it creeps up, and way before it climbs 20 pounds. And I’m also breaking habits like too much takeout and midnight ham sandwiches. Since I’m only about 80 days in, I still need to log to make sure the habits stick, and to keep the needle moving in the right direction. Based on my history, I’m pretty confident that I have a good plan for me.

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,777 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    @dvoncino a few more questions for you re: counting calories fatigue... how large of a deficit are you applying? How much weight did you lose this past month for example? How much weight do you need to lose to get within the normal weight range?

Are you viewing calorie counting as the enemy or are you viewing it as the opportunity to maximize your eating within the parameters of achieving your goals? Are YOU using calorie counting to help YOU make decisions and achieve your goals, or is it an unwanted evil imposed by a cruel universe?

Are you tired of counting calories or are you tired of trying to lose weight--weight loss fatigue, unsurprisingly, being a potential side effect of trying to lose weight!?
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,403 Member
    Options

I have managed my weight fairly well for my whole adult life. I took off pregnancy weight three times in the past 25 years and am not new to the process. I’m back because I’ve put on 20 pounds since 2020. Middle age, pandemic, getting comfortable, all the excuses. I have 7 pounds to go and I’ve upped my calories and am going very slow, so not far off from maintenance. I’m retraining myself, really. I will stop logging at some point and my plan is to watch the scale a little closer and I will return to logging for a while when/if it creeps up, and way before it climbs 20 pounds. And I’m also breaking habits like too much takeout and midnight ham sandwiches. Since I’m only about 80 days in, I still need to log to make sure the habits stick, and to keep the needle moving in the right direction. Based on my history, I’m pretty confident that I have a good plan for me.

I wish you success. It sounds like a pretty solid plan.
  • dvoncino
    dvoncino Posts: 3 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    @dvoncino a few more questions for you re: counting calories fatigue... how large of a deficit are you applying? How much weight did you lose this past month for example? How much weight do you need to lose to get within the normal weight range?

Are you viewing calorie counting as the enemy or are you viewing it as the opportunity to maximize your eating within the parameters of achieving your goals? Are YOU using calorie counting to help YOU make decisions and achieve your goals, or is it an unwanted evil imposed by a cruel universe?

Are you tired of counting calories or are you tired of trying to lose weight--weight loss fatigue, unsurprisingly, being a potential side effect of trying to lose weight!?

I've lost about 5lbs this month, and hoping to lose another 15lbs. My maintenance calories are ~2,200 and I typically try to finish the day from 1,600 to 1,900.

I know that calorie counting is effective and my friend. I want to do it. It has worked for me in the past, many times. But I find that it is not sustainable. At some point I stop counting, and sure enough the numbers on the scale will start going up.

I think I'm looking for a system that is somewhere in between recording everything in MFP and tracking everything in my head. Because neither approach here has worked for me over the long-term.