10 mile race

Options
I am running my first 10 mile race this weekend. I am hosting a little dinner play-date the day before. The friend coming over said I would need to "carb up" on pasta. What should I eat the night before? Morning of? The race is an hour and a half drive, so I will have time for a light breakfast. Thanks (:

Replies

• wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    You want to eat that meal leaving plenty of time for it to pass through your body BEFORE the race. Really cuts down on the mid-race bathroom breaks. 18 hours is one of the numbers I've heard, which works for me. Depends on how quickly your body processes :)
  • Marcel7
    Marcel7 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I can understand carbing up if you are an experienced runner who does not need to lose weight. However, if your goal is to lose weight, I would question this strategy.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    "Carbing up" has changed over the past few years. It used to be a big pasta dinner the night before, but that could leave quite the load in your guy, and the "runners trots" the next day.

You should spend the 3 days leading up to the race simply adding a few extra servings of complex carbs to your meals: baked potatoes, sweet potatoes, and so on.

On race morning, eat a simple breakfast (that you've already tested) that has simple and complex carbs in it. I prefer a whole wheat waffle with peanut butter.

Ten minutes before your race starts choke down a gel pack or some Gatorade (but not both). That will top off the tanks for the race. You'll then want to take in more fuel every 40 minutes or so during the race.
  • AZTrailRunner
    Options
    I can understand carbing up if you are an experienced runner who does not need to lose weight. However, if your goal is to lose weight, I would question this strategy.

Runners subscribe to a different eating strategy than dieters. Ten miles will easily burn 1200+ calories.
  • dga1972
    dga1972 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt carb load the night before, it will leave you feeling bloated, especially if you drink alot of water with it. I made that mistake on my first 5k. Instead consistently throughout the day before, eat small portions of complex carbs several times that day, along with healthy fats and protein. I basically saying, Dont sit down and have a huge plate of spaghetti for dinner the night before!

I am running my first half marathon on Saturday and I am planning on using this exact plan. I will eat a bagel about 1 1/2-2 hours before the race, that's it. Do what you did during your training and what your body is used to before your long runs.

Good luck!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Good advice here... eat something for breakfast that you know will sit well in your stomach (I like a fruit muffin with peanut butter and banana) and a decent amount of dinner the night before, but don't try anything new that you haven't eaten before, that might have dire consequences.
    The other good advice I received was to drink plenty the day before, the night before so you start out well hydrated. Then you can get in a steady amount of water in the morning but make sure you get to the race in time to line up for the toilet.
    I ran a 12k race and was amazed at the number of people I saw lining up for the toilet in the first few km of the race!
  • AZTrailRunner
    Options

I am running my first half marathon on Saturday and I am planning on using this exact plan. I will eat a bagel about 1 1/2-2 hours before the race, that's it. Do what you did during your training and what your body is used to before your long runs.

Good luck on your first Half!!! :happy:
  • tigerbluefly
    tigerbluefly Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I ran a 10 mile last month and I usually have carbs all day the day before a race. I have pasta for dinner but I make sure it's white pasta, not whole wheat, and not a huge portion, just a regular size bowl (1-1/2 cup). No protein with it though, just pasta and a light sauce.

The morning of my 10 mile I also had to drive and hour and a half to get to it. I packed a bagel with a light spread of natural peanut butter on it, and a yogurt. That's my normal morning race meal, and a coffee. I aim to be done everything 2 hours before the gun though, including all drinks. So pack something, eat it on the way and by the time you get there and mingle a bit and get ready, you'll be good to go!

Have a great race!!
  • dga1972
    dga1972 Posts: 16 Member
    Options

Good luck on your first Half!!! :happy:

Thanks