Best Gym Progression App

Options
Hi

I have been training for a long time and decided to set up my first serious training block of three mesocycles with built in phase potentiation and progression.

I busted my *kitten* researching about progression and making the most scientific program I possibly could. However I dont want to manage a ton of schematics in in my OneNote on every training.

What is the best training log app? (iphone)

I need to log the following data:

Exercises
Target Reps
Target Weight load
Target Rest
Target RIR (how close to failure am I going on the set)

Would love some input before paying for anything!

Replies

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,589 Member
    Options
    I use my own creation in Google Sheets.

e.g. for my first upper day it looks like this, each column shown separated here as "|":

Lift | Rep Range | Set
    Barbell Row | 6-10 | Set 1 | weight | reps
    - | - | Set 2 | weight | reps
    etc.

Then different color coded cells for dumbbell press, and so on.

Then I insert two columns for the next sessions weight and reps. Before the workout, I enter the expected weight for each set. During the workout, I enter the reps, and adjust the weight if needed. After the workout, I color code my cells where weight or reps have increased or decreased.
  • Michaelfloe
    Michaelfloe Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Do you have a template that you use or something? Does it work nicely on a phone?
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,589 Member
    Options
    I made it myself. It looks like this. Every two columns is a session (weight, reps), and the black bar there is a deload recently. It works fine on phone, except the deload week shows up as white cells instead of black. Because apparently that's a theme color, and I use dark theme on phone but default white theme on desktop. All the other colors are correct, so maybe I just need to use a different custom color for deload.

e9ag6jzynrc7.png
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,838 Member
    Options
    If your only goal is logging, what's wrong with taking a pad of paper and a pencil to the gym? Or are you looking for something to provide graphs and automatic long-term trend lines? And even in that case, I recommend using the paper log at the gym, inputting the data into your app/metric of choice after, so you are not tempted to browse the phone/net between sets.
  • Michaelfloe
    Options
    Thanks for that, might give it a shot if I dont find an app I like.
  • Michaelfloe
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    If your only goal is logging, what's wrong with taking a pad of paper and a pencil to the gym? Or are you looking for something to provide graphs and automatic long-term trend lines? And even in that case, I recommend using the paper log at the gym, inputting the data into your app/metric of choice after, so you are not tempted to browse the phone/net between sets.

Well I dont think looking at your phone is going to lose you any progression as long as you do your rests and workout as planned! The goal is to plan progression every week and know exactly what I did last week and then in 3 months be able to see my progression so I can plan the next 3 months after that learning from the data and thus have a more optimal progression week to week as well as long term, reducing the level of guessing needed when it comes to reps, load etc.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,838 Member
    Options
    If you are capable of checking your phone without getting lost in your phone and unintentionally spending far more time than anticipated, then you are a better person than I am, lol. I keep things intentionally old school in the gym: paper notes, iPod music, wristwatch for rest between sets.