Sugar Cravings

Options
HELP!

I crave and adore healthy nutritious food during the day, but have a crazy sugar cravings at night. I feel pretty confident that this is just a "bad habit" I developed as a kid, but how do I kick it?

Thanks alot!

Replies

• johncowart
    johncowart Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Whats your carb intake like?
  • skinimin
    skinimin Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    chewing gum is pretty good for curbing the cravings. otherwise a few berries or something should do it. it' not really good to eat at night though, no food at least an hour before bed.
  • aeckels616
    aeckels616 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    The less sugar you eat, the less you will crave it. While you're weaning yourself off, try healthy substitues. One of my favorites is plain greek yogurt with some Truvia or Purevia sprinkled in, and some fresh berries.
  • californiadeb
    californiadeb Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I consulted a registered sports dietition because I was afraid I was "addicted" to sugar or had some sort of psychological problem with sugar cravings because I would get such strong ones in the afternoon. She looked at my food diaries and said I wasn't getting enough protein at breakfast and lunch. It was amazing - as soon as I upped my protein intake, sugar cravings went away! Just a thought - how much protein are you having?
  • californiadeb
    californiadeb Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I consulted a registered sports dietition because I was afraid I was "addicted" to sugar or had some sort of psychological problem with sugar cravings because I would get such strong ones in the afternoon. She looked at my food diaries and said I wasn't getting enough protein at breakfast and lunch. It was amazing - as soon as I upped my protein intake, sugar cravings went away! Just a thought - how much protein are you having?
  • Newpilgrim
    Options
    Wow...thanks for this! I don't get a lot of protein in, nor fat for that matter (which I know helps with saity). I'll try upping that and thanks for all the great suggestions!
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    some sort of fruity tea with a little bit of honey, though if this a night time thing you may wish to watch the caffeine.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Protein is a good suggestion. Another alternative is eating a date or two: high in fibre, low in cals, yet sweet to taste.
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Stop eating sugary foods ::shrug:: Really though...just stop. Worked for me. I eat fatty foods, it curbs the cravings to zero!

--yours truly
    A former (recovered?) sugar addict.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    OHHHHH I love dates!!!!!
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    The less sugar you eat, the less you will crave it.

I find the opposite! The more i tried to cut things out, the more i craved it! Absence makes the heart (or in this case stomach) grow fonder (or more demanding:P )

So, i dont cut anything out, therefore i get no cravings!