Triathlon

Options
Hi all, My name is Sarah.
I really want to get in shape for a triathlon. I'm a swimmer. I've never really been a runner, but I'm trying to get into it. Cycling will be a challenge too since I haven't ridden my bike in a while. Anyway, I haven't decided when and where I am going to do my first triathlon yet, but I'm training for it. I want to lose 25 lbs and build up my endurance. Anyone have any advice about training for triathlons?

Replies

• aquasw16
    aquasw16 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Look at beginnertriathete. They have great plans to help training. Also, if you have never been a runner try C25K to train for a 5k since you have to run one in a tri...it is awesome!
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    im the exact opposite. i love cycling and will happily go forever, im recently into running so would be able to handle a shortish running leg, but i have never really been a strong swimmer. that is i can swim, but not fast or for any decent distance.

unfortunately of the 3 diciplines it is the least accessible.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    use trifind.com to look for local triathlons, and beginnertriathlete.com to find a nice work out plan. also, pick up the book "your first triathlon" by joe friel. helped me a lot. i'm planning on doing my first triathlon in june. i was a swimmer in college, but haven't swam much in the last few years. never much of a runner, but recently i've been riding my bike a lot, and i love it. its slowly been helping me build my cardio endurance, and i've been able to run 3-4 miles at a time. the triathlon i'm doing is a sprint, and i'm looking forward to it.
  • FL_Nettie
    FL_Nettie Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I just completed my first sprint triathlon on Sunday and loved it! www.active.com and www.fitbie.com both have some articles on triathlons and training.

I'm not a runner either, so I concentrated mostly on running (plus I'm thinking of doing a half or full marathon in December). I did some swimming and biking once in awhile. A couple of times I did combination workouts. Unfortunately, I was sick for almost a month before the race but I trained when I could. So for me, my first triathlon was more about finishing and getting the experience than having a fast time. And I think that helped because I was able to relax and enjoy myself.

You may also want to work with a trainer to help build your endurance. My trainer has taught me some great exercises that I wouldn't have thought to do for endurance (sprint runs, hill sprints, jumping jacks between strength training sets and more).

Good luck and enjoy yourself!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    I just completed my first sprint triathlon on Sunday and loved it! www.active.com and www.fitbie.com both have some articles on triathlons and training.

I'm not a runner either, so I concentrated mostly on running (plus I'm thinking of doing a half or full marathon in December). I did some swimming and biking once in awhile. A couple of times I did combination workouts. Unfortunately, I was sick for almost a month before the race but I trained when I could. So for me, my first triathlon was more about finishing and getting the experience than having a fast time. And I think that helped because I was able to relax and enjoy myself.

You may also want to work with a trainer to help build your endurance. My trainer has taught me some great exercises that I wouldn't have thought to do for endurance (sprint runs, hill sprints, jumping jacks between strength training sets and more).

Good luck and enjoy yourself!

wow! congrats!!!!