Newbie Runner NSV

Options
NotGoddess
NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
I just started running (jogging...wogging?) in August, doing the c25k program in preparation for a 5k on October 17.
I am determined that I will complete it even if I walk the whole way. I normally walk 4+ miles so I knew I could.
Today I realized I might just be able to RUN the whole way.

Today I ran for 30 minutes straight, 2.8 miles according to my Nike+

Last week I was ecstatic that I ran 10 minutes, then 15 on the next run. I only planned to attempt 20 today but when I got to that point my heart rate was good (~87%) and I just kept going. I can't even describe how elated I feel. In August I was huffing and puffing just to get my 60 seconds in and now.....wow. Just WOW.

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Isn't it just the best feeling to do something that you always thought was just not possible?
    Well done, enjoy your race!!
  • UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    AWESOME!!!! Congrats on a job well done!! :drinker:
  • LizC26
    LizC26 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    That's amazing...I just signed up for a 5K in March and all I can run for right now is about 60secs....Thanks for the motivation :)
  • cornerofgreystreet
    Options
    Thats outstanding!! Congratulations!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I love reading newbie runner NSVs cause I was there not very long ago :)

Congratulations and good luck on the 5k! Have fun!
  • aggiecs
    aggiecs Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I started C25K about a month ago and I LOVE it!! Congrats on your NSV and enjoy your first 5k!
  • jude666
    jude666 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    That is amazing congratulations! You are where I hope to be myself in a few weeks. I re-started the programme this week, this time i've started it with a friend of mine. I already feel much more determined this time round than i did before and I cannot wait until i can run for a whole thirty minutes without stopping. I would very much like to be a runner! C25K is an amazing programme.

Hope you manage to get through your 5K I'm sure you will x
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Yeah! Great job. doesnt' it feel good....
  • Maura5
    Options
    Hey! I just started running 'for real' also. My youngest daughter send me this website www.halhigdon.com to guide my training. She used his program to train for a 1/2 marathon she ran over Labor day. She did great so I figured I could at least do ok. Check it out. And keep on running!
    Maura
  • KateeWade
    KateeWade Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello Goddess - how long have you been doing the C25K program to work up to running the full 30 minutes, I just started.
  • roadrunner32
    Options
    Great achievement! Keep it up and don't forget it will get easier in time!
    Enjoy the 5k run, I'm pretty sure won't be your last :)
  • mommyami1
    mommyami1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    That's so exciting!!! Congrats! It's such a wonderful feeling to know you can do something that seemed like just an idea not too long ago. I'm about to finish that program so I just bought a new sensor for my Nike+ to keep track from now on. I was excited to see that you're using it, and it seems to be working!!! Have a great time training for your 5K. You can do it!!
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    @Riley_girl: I started August 4.

I followed the program very well the first four week, then got 'stuck' on week 4 moving into week 5.
    Week 4 is where you do two 3min/5min runs. I'd do great one day then barely do the first set 2 days later.
    So I started using my HRM as a guide- jogging slower and slower until I was able to finally finish week 4.

On week 5/6 I kinda went my own way-just seeing if I could jog 3-5 min longer than last time, using my HRM as a guide.. as long as I could keep it under 90% I knew I could keep going (even if I didn't want to :). Once it crept up to 92% and I couldn't bring it down by jogging slower or changing my breathing, then I knew I'd probably be stopping pretty soon. I'd push myself to go just a little faster for that last bit then slow and walk until my heart rate got back down to ~75%. Then I'd turn around on the trail and repeat, going for as long as I could or until I reached the spot where it would take me 5 min to walk back to the start (for my cool-down).

I can't say that's for everyone, but it seemed to help me that while I had a time/distance goal in mind, I was mainly trying to push myself just a little further each time.

I am surprised at how much I love the Nike+. It seems like such a simple tool but it really does help. I have a Nano and I can hit a button during the run to get current time, distance and pace. I -think- it also creates a set-point that is uploaded to Nike. I need to check on my next run because it'll be even better if I can 'mark' spots on the run.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!