Anyone else dealing with menopause madness?

Options
Aside from the 6 month at a time break from a period, hot flashes from Hell, and night sweats, the weight gain has been the worst to deal with. How are you managing it if you are experiencing it? I'm counting calories, being accountable, working out almost everyday but the scale doesn't budge. Any suggestions? It's so aggravating.

Replies

• Rockmama1111
    Rockmama1111 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Ugh. Yes. It is no picnic. I will say that I think my symptoms have lessened once I started focusing more on nutrition, or maybe it’s consistent walking, or drinking more water (less bloating?). Or maybe I just feel better in general? Getting enough protein and fiber have been my biggest areas of focus. And a lot less alcohol, so that could be a big factor.

I did have to really hone in on where I need to be calorie-wise to be not cranky but still lose. My loss is slower than in the past, but it’s happening,

Hugs to you.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    Results are mixed, but there's some limited research suggesting that strength training can be helpful.

It's kind of normal for our daily life activity to decrease over our adult years, and for our muscle mass to decline, and for us to become less fit in general. I don't know if any of those are true for you at your current age vs. when you were 20, but if they are, taking steps to reverse them can pay off.

I admit, menopause for me came on as a result of chemotherapy in my mid-40s, and the difficulties of menopause were somewhat hidden in the noise of cancer diagnosis, treatment (surgery-chemo-radiation-drugs) and recovery. I know a good bit about combatting symptoms individually (hot flashes and what-not) without resorting to hormone replacement therapy. (HRT is way off limits to women like me whose tumors were estrogen-fed.) If you have no reason to avoid it, talking about HRT with your doctor might be useful.

Some vitamins, if deficient, can contribute to hot flashes and the like. From memory, I think it's E and the Bs, maybe B-6 especially. My advice would be to try to get a robust daily intake of varied, colorful fruits and veggies, vs. trying to supplement. Anything that improves your overall nutrition has potential.

There are some prescription meds (other than HRT) that help some people, too. Talk to your doctor.

In non-medical interventions, some things I and my non-HRT-eligible peers did are carrying a hand fan (like the paper ones); and using those gel-filled, flexible, reusable cold packs on one's neck at night (I preferred mine with a towel over). (At extreme points, it can help to keep a small cooler bedside with another frozen gel pack to pull out in the middle of the night.)

Given the mechanisms that underlie hot flashes, I found that it helped to avoid any external heat spikes. (My body seemed to grab them and run with them, once they were triggered.) I stopped wearing sweaters, preferred multiple thin layers I could peel off at the slightest sign of perceived warmth.

By the time (way late, stupidly) I got around to losing weight, I was long into menopause. (Menopause, around age 45-6; weight loss, definitely age 59-60.) By that point, pure calorie counting worked for me. It's worth noting that calculator estimates of calorie goals are only a population average. Any one of us can find that we need more or fewer calories than our demographic.

My advice would be to start with an MFP or other calculator estimate, stick with that for 4-6 weeks, then adjust based on real world results, using the assumption that 500 calories a day is about a pound a week. Be careful about exercise calorie estimates, whether using MFP, a fitness tracker, or a TDEE calculator estimate. We're all individuals, not exact abstract statistics. Once you have 4-6 weeks of personal logging data, use that to adjust goals.

IME, that can work.

Wishing you success!

• NC_Gardener
    NC_Gardener Posts: 20 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    It's probably why I'm back here, lol. 30lbs jumped on me doing the same things that used to keep my weight stable 😳 On that front, I've figured out that I need to exercise, but I don't get those calories anymore. Then I need to count calories to make sure I don't eat too much. That's all ok.

Anxiety became an enormous problem during perimenopause! Just huge. I now take Buspar and it fixed it like 90%? Good enough!

My hot flashes have mostly stopped, but I thought they were kind of fun. I had to take off clothes and fan myself, but it felt like I could burn a whole village like Godzilla or some superpower! It was wild and I swear: a fun thing to imagine during them 🤣😂

Edit- Oh, I should mention that my thyroid levels at the doctor's dropped a lot from what they used to be, but still in the normal range. So I started two supplements for that. It did help my calorie counting to work, definitely. And my mood, which is the main reason I started with supplementing.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Here's a great thread on peri and menopause: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10482404/is-it-over-yet-the-perimenopause-thread/p1

Somewhere in there I talk about never having hot flashes and having taken black cohosh with dong quai for years, and that Gabapentin worked for night sweats for my sister.
  • MamaJammy
    MamaJammy Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I found Ashwaghanda and Evening primrose supplements help with the hot flashes and mood swings. I also take melatonin occasionally when I get sleepless. I gained 20 lbs in the last two years but am now down 7 lbs slowly just being consistent and having more on calorie target days than above target.
  • journey2ahealthierme
    Options
    Yeah, I'm gaining even though I'm technically doing everything 'right'. But exercise is doing wonders for my mood, my extreme periods and my body shape, so, ya know? I figure I've got enough to worry about. I'll keep logging, keep accountable, keep exercising and if the pay off for less symptoms is no weightloss on the scales? I'll take that...
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I'm about to turn 49, so I am peri-menopausal. I've been here for over 10 years and I've been in maintenance for the better part of a decade now. I know how to lose and how to maintain. Every year I take a couple of vacations where I don't count or restrict myself in any way and I always gain 2-4 pounds. Then I get home and get right back on track and the pounds melt away.

Well, they used to. Sometime in the last 1.5-2 years my system quit working. I'm guessing hormones must be disturbing the process because I neither gain nor lose on a predictable schedule anymore. And I don't mean "X pounds per week." I mean I spent 9 weeks trying to lose the weight from my last cruise and only lost half a pound, but then I took a week off at Christmas in which I ate and drank like I was at a Dionysian all-inclusive resort and didn't gain an ounce! I've got to figure out this new body of mine because it's not as straight-forward as the old one! :D