Protein

Options
I have been here a week and I just have a question for anyone that can help. Is going over on protein bad?

Replies

• jenszoo
    jenszoo Posts: 19
    Options
    I have been here a week and I just have a question for anyone that can help. Is going over on protein bad?
  • Tess
    Tess Posts: 16
    Options
    what would you consider "going over on protien"?

I need a LOT because of how active i am. If i don't get enough i have a blood sugar crash.
    I do however try to get it from a wide variety of sources....Meats, beans, avacados, grains, nuts etc.

I'd be interested to hear what others have to say about your question.
  • girth
    girth Posts: 5
    Options
    For an active woman trying to achieve lean muscle mass, the rule is 1gm per pound of body weight.
    Muscles love protein, but in excess- a calorie is a calorie and if not used can be stored as fat.
  • jenken99
    jenken99 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    1 gram of protein for each pound that we weigh or pounds that we want to lose? i didnt even eat all my proteins is that a bad thing?
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    For an active woman trying to achieve lean muscle mass, the rule is 1gm per pound of body weight.
    Muscles love protein, but in excess- a calorie is a calorie and if not used can be stored as fat.

I think that's if you're building hardcore. I read 1-1.2g/kg of your weight. You want enough to build your muscles and for glycogen reserve, but too much will store as fat. As said.:drinker:
  • jenszoo
    jenszoo Posts: 19
    Options
    Yesterday MFP said my goal was 62. I ate 95 which is over 33. It mostly came from chicken at dinner and turkey lunch meat. But if it's 1/per pound why did MFP set my goal at 62? I think I need to go back and re-read the "extra calorie" link.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    It's anywhere from 1.2-1.7g per kg of body weight according to the American College of Sports Medicine. To find your weight in kg, divide the lbs by 2.2.
  • cstang
    cstang Posts: 28
    Options
    I, too, had a problem with too much protein and thought I'd look into it myself, here's what I found in an article on Wikipedia called "Protein in Nutrition":

According to the recently updated Dietary Reference Intake guidelines, women aged 19–70 need to consume 46 grams of protein per day, while men aged 19–70 need to consume 56 grams of protein per day to avoid a deficiency. The difference is because men's bodies generally have more muscle mass than those of women, or this may be attributed to weight difference by taking 0.8 g(of protein)/kg of lean body weight

Other recommendations suggest 0.8 gram of protein per kilogram of lean bodyweight per day while other sources suggest that higher intakes of 1-1.4 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight for enhanced athletes or those with a large muscle mass.

How much protein needed in a person's daily diet is determined in large part by overall energy intake, as well as by the body's need for nitrogen and essential amino acids. Physical activity and exertion as well as enhanced muscular mass increase the need for protein. Requirements are also greater during childhood for growth and development, during pregnancy or when breast-feeding in order to nourish a baby, or when the body needs to recover from malnutrition or trauma or after an operation.

Because the body is unable to store energy in the form of protein, excess consumed protein is broken down and converted into sugars or fatty acids. The liver removes nitrogen from the amino acids, so that they can be burned as fuel, and the nitrogen is incorporated into urea, the substance that is excreted by the kidneys. These organs can normally cope with any extra workload but if kidney disease occurs, a decrease in protein will often be prescribed.

Many researchers think excessive intake of protein forces increased calcium excretion. If there is to be excessive intake of protein, it is thought that a regular intake of calcium would be able to stabilize, or even increase the uptake of calcium by the small intestine, which would be more beneficial in older women.