views on sugar free water flavoring packets

Options
I never had a problem drinking straight bottles of water and still dont but recently, I tried a zero calorie (zero everything) sugar free water flavoring packet and it was soooo delicious, its like a treat!! Now I'm totally addicted and drink bottled water with one of those packets like 4 times a day. I feel so guilty because it has all that fake stuff but they are so good! I bought all different brands and flavors and I love them all. what do you guys think about them?? I'm saving calories this way because when i feel liek eating out of boredom, I drink one of these!

Replies

• DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I don't really have a problem with em, I usually do the same.

Once I got off soda years back, I went to diet for awhile, then cut it out altogether.

I pick up random crystal light, and similar juices whenever they're on sale, regardless of the artificial sweetners.

I find them pretty strong though, and usually cut it to half a pack + 1L water.

There's way worse things you could be drinking.
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I would say stay away from them. Google whatever artificial sweetener is in it and you'll see lots of studies/articles on the negative side effects of them. I myself use True Lemon Lemonade which is sweetened with Stevia.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I would say stay away from them. Google whatever artificial sweetener is in it and you'll see lots of studies/articles on the negative side effects of them. I myself use True Lemon Lemonade which is sweetened with Stevia.

You say stay away from them, yet you use stevia?

Stevia has been linked to several long term side effects which has made it a reason for controversy and doubt in the recent years. Although it has been used since centuries by the natives, there are several claimed dangers of stevia. The following are some of the claimed dangers or side effects of stevia.

* Firstly, it is said to be the biggest hindrance in the process of metabolism in the body. Regular consumption of stevia slows down or stops energy metabolism and hence, disrupt the process of conversion of food into energy.

* Secondly, one of the biggest stevia dangers is its link to cancer. When tested in a laboratory, it was found that stevia was capable of bringing mutations in cell's DNA or the genetic material. This is only a claimed side effect as this effect has not been observed in human beings till date. However, scientists and researchers have still not confirmed whether stevia can cause this mutation in human beings or not.
    * Thirdly, difficulties or problems in reproduction is also believed to be one of the stevia side effects. Long term regular consumption of stevia is claimed to affect the male reproduction system, specially leading to a decreased amount of sperm production. When tested on female animal, it was found that stevia led to decreased number of offsprings.
  • JenFerguson1
    JenFerguson1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    thanks guys:) I still feel like I need some more feedback
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    I avoid artificial sweeteners. If I need some flavour in my water I squeeze a fresh lemon into it.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,097 Member
    Options
    I noticed that the little packets, like the ones that you add to 1 bottle of water, gave me lots of air in my stomach, also known as GAS.

I've heard numerous people complain about this. Beware! I don't use them because of this.
  • JenFerguson1
    Options
    haha I have gas a lot anyway from all the veggies I eat!
  • girard5
    girard5 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I personally stay away from artificial sweeteners and opt for some fresh lemon or lime if I need to add a kick to my water.
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Honestly if you want to find information on something like that I would go to a peer reviewed scholarly journal so you can see the most up to date research on the subject. There is so much bull **** on the internet, too much contradicting information.
  • JenFerguson1
    Options
    i agree!
  • redhead91
    Options
    Personally I hate aspartame, but I would never judge anyone who drinks it. I drank tea flavored with it for a few days straight and had migraines for 2 weeks and craved sweets every day I used it. I think that if it helps you drink water, then have it but try and limit your comsumption. I wrote a paper on this subject when my High School switched to all diet sodas in the machines. Aspartame can reduce concentration and cause many problems if consumed in excess*. Again, it's your choice, but I would suggest using something with splenda or truvia :)

*excess being the key word here
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    My friend turned me onto fruit in water, especially berries. You can use fresh, but I like to use the ones that I have neglected to eat and are just about going bad... because then I feel like I'm not wasting anything... anywho... freeze them, and use them as ice cubes. Flavors the water, makes it sweet, and a tasty treat at the end of the glass!
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Herbal teas are made of awesome. They give me some flavour in my water for 0 calories. I get berry, spiced mint, honey and lemon, rooibos chai, and apple flavours myself.
  • suthengent
    Options
    Instead Try Aldi FIT & ACTIVE Lemonade! Its around $0.67/ea (32oz) They have several different fruit choices! (0 Calories, Sugar Free, Caffeine free, Very low Sodium, 0 Carbs) Sooooo GOOD!
  • JenFerguson1
    Options
    great advice everyone!! thanks!!!
  • FL_Nettie
    FL_Nettie Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    For me, my philosophy on water addititives is use it in moderation. Most, if not all, contain chemicals that cause anything from headaches to digestion issus to cancer. It seems like every month there's a new, great, safe sweetener until the next new, great, safe sweetener comes along then the previous one is bad for you. If you use them once in awhile, I don't think it would be harmful. I like both Crystal Light and Mio, but I don't use them everyday. Try squeezing real lemons or limes in your water or throw a few grapes or strawberries into you glass.
  • sandi228
    sandi228 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I find that I drink more water by using them. I think you have to do what works for you. I also use 1/2 packet to 16.9oz bottle. I love the 4c brand teas and vitamin sticks. I have also brewed herbal teas and sweeten with honey. I will always use the packets, when I die I don't think people will say; if only she didn't drink those flavor packets! Keep drinking!