Recovery from Other Substances?

Okay,

I qualify as a food addict. I don't mean I over eat a little bit once in awhile. I mean I'm a food ADDICT. I'm addicted to it, and I've paid dearly for that addiction. I'm now in "food recovery", learning to live healthy and to eat sensibly.

But I'm wondering how many true addictive personality types we have out there. I'm in recovery from other substances (ie, drugs and alcohol) too. I'll have 5 years off of the other stuff on September 2nd. It's been a long process but now it's all about maintenance. I have to say that of all the things I've had to do in my life, recovery from food addiction has definitely been the hardest. I say that because I don't have to be around drugs and alcohol every day of my life. I don't have to look it square in the face three to five times a day. But food, on the other hand .... I have to somehow reconcile my relationship with food so that I can and do deal with it every single day.

Anyway, I'm just wondering how many people out there are not only in recovery from food, but from other substances as well. Maybe we could start a support group or something?

My best, best, best wishes to all of you!

Replies

• fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Hi Darla and welcome to MFP. Congratulations to you on your weight loss so far! An addiction to food has definitely got to be the hardest one because drink and drugs you don't need to live. Food? Ah food, you HAVE to eat, so every day you are faced with the same dilemma. I think you are fantastic to have got this far and wish you all the best in your journey to a fitter and healthier life.
    If you need a friend, just add me. :flowerforyou:
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    hey darla, good to see you. I admire you , for putting yourself out there and being honest

No vices here, other than Im addicted to food as well. If its in the house, Ill eat it, thats why I cant have it in the house for the time being. Maybe some day Ill find the answer, but what I am doing now is working for me, also no kids in the house, and that helps.......

hey, just wanted to say how proud I am to have you as a friend , as well as seeing that others have the same amount of problems with addiction like I do...........were all in this together...........Im proud of you and I have nothing but respect for you quitting your other stuff as well as your commitment to losing weight..........Your friend, Lloyd
  • darla499
    darla499 Posts: 402 Member
    Thanks both of you.

Fiona, you're right ... food addiction is by far the worst!

And Lloyd ... what can I say? I love you!
  • What works for you? I am coming to an end of a two week vaca. I did great the first week only one binge. then i baby sat my niece an i ate all of her cereal, i was horrified with myself, i have been eating again non stop... with anything i can get my hands on, even foods i don't like. I just dont know how to stop this distructive behaviour. I have never seen anyone professionally & would like to challnge myself.

any suggestions?
    Nicole
  • kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    Hi I'm going to be 2 years abstinent Sept 1, one day at a time, so I know what its like to be a food Addict!.
    Recovery is a daily thing, you have to reach for it each day with any substance..and with food so many people don't see it as an addiction. Well it is...it ruins lives just as much as alcohol and drugs..I'd not paid attention when driving and eating..my family were terrified for my health. I didn't have relationships because food was my life. I work every day to work steps and live my life with out food to be my crutch and I love what my 12 step program has given me back. Congrats on 5 years!
  • darla499
    What works for you? I am coming to an end of a two week vaca. I did great the first week only one binge. then i baby sat my niece an i ate all of her cereal, i was horrified with myself, i have been eating again non stop... with anything i can get my hands on, even foods i don't like. I just dont know how to stop this destructive behavior. I have never seen anyone professionally & would like to challenge myself.

any suggestions?
    Nicole

Hi Nicole,

Geez, I wish I could say I had the answers :wink: But I don't. All I can tell you is that it's something I deal with on a day-to-day basis.

The lady who posted after you, kerrymh has come to the same solution I have and that's working with a 12 step program. I can't imagine trying to "live clean" without it. Therapy is always an option and I've found it helpful in the past but my 12-step program helps me with all that too, now.

I appreciate all of those of you who were able to identify. Thanks. It's nice to know there are others.

Best of luck in all you do.
  • darla499
    Hi I'm going to be 2 years abstinent Sept 1, one day at a time, so I know what its like to be a food Addict!.
    Recovery is a daily thing, you have to reach for it each day with any substance..and with food so many people don't see it as an addiction. Well it is...it ruins lives just as much as alcohol and drugs..I'd not paid attention when driving and eating..my family were terrified for my health. I didn't have relationships because food was my life. I work every day to work steps and live my life with out food to be my crutch and I love what my 12 step program has given me back. Congrats on 5 years!

Kerry!!!!

Thank you for identifying!! And congrats on hitting the two year mark in September! That's outstanding! I'm hitting the 5 year mark September 2nd! But I have a little further to go to be totally abstinent with food. I've applied a 12--step program to food before through CEA-HOW but got a bit discouraged because of the "start from day 1" for what I considered at the time to be "little slips." I've been applying my 12-step program to my eating just as I do with my other substances, but have not gone back into a food specific program yet. But I've been seriously thinking about it, especially now that I'm on a plateau.

Do you mind sharing more about your 12-step program? You can message me if you prefer.

Thanks again for identifying!
  • kerrymh
    Hi Sweetie, I don't mind
    I go to Overeaters Anonymous for the last 2.5 years or so. Its AA but adapted for food addiction.
    So its basically the 12 steps, support, using the tools , food plan, reading, sponsorship, service, action plan (exercise), phone, writing, (gee I'm blanking on the other 2 haha).
    You decide your trigger foods and your food plan, what I need to stay away from is different from other people. I can not eat chips..just can't but a cookie doesn't bother me. Its about honesty. Its not a diet. But through avoiding compulsive eating behaviors and figuring out the step work I am living life with less resentments and with a stronger sense of self and a support group of people who truly understand who I am to the core. I also feel my sense of serenity from knowing that something larger than me has my best interests in mind. My group is my higher power (since I'm more spiritual than religious).
    You and me both also decided on wls..and don't get me wrong that is a big part of my wt loss. But this is my sanity..so that I don't obsess about food all day, all night and hate my life now that I can't binge eat any more. I love my life, I love OA and I love my band I call it my 10th tool.
    oa.org will have a list of where a oa meeting is near you, as well as phone and online meetings.
  • darla499
    Hi Sweetie, I don't mind
    I go to Overeaters Anonymous for the last 2.5 years or so. Its AA but adapted for food addiction.
    So its basically the 12 steps, support, using the tools , food plan, reading, sponsorship, service, action plan (exercise), phone, writing, (gee I'm blanking on the other 2 haha).
    You decide your trigger foods and your food plan, what I need to stay away from is different from other people. I can not eat chips..just can't but a cookie doesn't bother me. Its about honesty. Its not a diet. But through avoiding compulsive eating behaviors and figuring out the step work I am living life with less resentments and with a stronger sense of self and a support group of people who truly understand who I am to the core. I also feel my sense of serenity from knowing that something larger than me has my best interests in mind. My group is my higher power (since I'm more spiritual than religious).
    You and me both also decided on wls..and don't get me wrong that is a big part of my wt loss. But this is my sanity..so that I don't obsess about food all day, all night and hate my life now that I can't binge eat any more. I love my life, I love OA and I love my band I call it my 10th tool.
    oa.org will have a list of where a oa meeting is near you, as well as phone and online meetings.

Thanks soooo much!

I think you've just convinced me to get back into a Food-specific 12-step program. I never did try OA. But from what I understand it simplified the whole concept instead of complicating it, which is what I did when I was in CEA-HOW.

Yaaayyy! I'm excited again.

Thank you! You've made a difference in at least one life today!!!

HUGS!
  • kerrymh
    Hugs back Darla! If you have any questions feel free to ask. I'm no expert but I can help out however.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    bump:flowerforyou:
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    excellent post Darla.........I thought about this post at the gym this am and know that Im like the rest of all of us.......Ill admit to it, just wanted to say how important it is knowing Im not the only one whos going thru this.........thanks Darla for being honest and talking about this subject....................Lloyd
  • darla499
    excellent post Darla.........I thought about this post at the gym this am and know that Im like the rest of all of us.......Ill admit to it, just wanted to say how important it is knowing Im not the only one whos going thru this.........thanks Darla for being honest and talking about this subject....................Lloyd

(((((Lloyd)))))

Thanks for sharing here. It means a lot because you are like THE example of what sensible eating and exercising can do. 150 pounds!!!! Lloyd, do you know how amazing you are???!! And you always find the time to encourage and motivate. You're right ... it sure helps to know we're not alone in this.

Thanks for always being there.
  • darla499
    Hugs back Darla! If you have any questions feel free to ask. I'm no expert but I can help out however.

LOL! Be careful what you ask for :laugh:

I may drive you crazy with questions!!!

Thanks!
  • sebrat
    sebrat Posts: 31 Member
    Hi, I am in CEA HOW. I just started back about 2 weeks ago. As you could probably tell by the foods I'm tracking (Can you guys see that on my page) I'm still in the beginning. One of the things I need to do is reach out to others. Since I'm on here and Facebook a lot, I figured that seeing if there was extra support on here could also work with my outreach calls I make to others in my group. I know I have days where all the extra help is a blessing.
  • darla499
    Hi Sebrat,

I'd love to talk with you!! I'll send you a message. I'm on facebook multiple times a day so we can talk there to.

Are you still in CEA HOW?