So easy to overeat!

Options
It never ceases to amaze me how easy it is to overeat. Take this inexpensive trail mix bought at a gas station mini mart. For $3, it contains more than a days worth of calories for someone like me. (I bought it just for that reason for a long trip by air, but other food choices became available.)

Yes, I could easily eat the whole thing. One I had something else for lunch, I didn’t dare open the bag! Since I was able to resist, I’ll take it as a win!

2kiga8voo115.jpeg

fvng2d9eha1g.jpeg

Replies

• cyn_love
    cyn_love Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Holy cow. I love that trail mix. Good job resisting!
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,086 Member
    Options
    Calories can be quite sneaky. Starbucks and other specialty coffee places have multiple drinks which can contain in excess of 2,000 calories by themselves.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    George Washington Carver was right about peanuts. Cheap and full of nutrition.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,923 Member
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Calories can be quite sneaky. Starbucks and other specialty coffee places have multiple drinks which can contain in excess of 2,000 calories by themselves.

Really, that's crazy.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »

I think you'd have to try really hard and add a LOT of extras to get a Starbucks drink to 2,000 calories. Their nutrition info shows that the largest size of their most calorific frappuccinos come in around 560 calories.

And that figure includes using whole milk, whipped cream, and chocolate drizzle.
  • nossmf
    Options
    I will admit, I haven't checked their menu information in a few years, it's entirely possible (even probable) they've made adjustments recently to allay concerns from people now that the information is required to be posted for the general public. But in years past, I counted no less than 3 drinks which met that standard.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Options
    A large Sonic "Oreo Cheesecake Shake" has 1700kcal. I could have one a day (and nothing else) and still loose weight. :p

https://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/sonic/oreo-cheesecake-shake-(large)

But, I don't think anyone is particularly surprised by that!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    That's why trail mix is great for the trail. In my backpacking heyday that was my primary food source other than a hot meal for dinner. I still trail mix quite a bit when I'm on the go, but I have to either buy individual packages or measure out my own from a bulk source.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    Back in the day when I didn't count calories (or had no interest finding out), I would go to the bulk store and fill a bag of various nuts/seeds/dried fruits/chocolate pieces, etc, and would consume the whole thing on my weekly 'trip' back to where I lived from the city.

I absolutely loved it! Can't believe I didn't end up gaining 50 pounds that year!

Another time in my life I remember always getting two chocolate chip cookies from a bakery for the commute home (which took around 1 hour). Later finding out that each cookie was 700 calories lol! Did this for at least two years...om
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Options
    @PAPYRUS3 : I love walnuts, pecans, almonds, pistachios, hazelnuts, you name it, they're great! Even better with dried fruit and chocolate. Packed full of healthy nutrition! (A but too packed, sometimes.)

Add some butter, flower, and eggs, and you have a cookie. :p

Speaking of which, has did anyone else notice articles a couple of years ago saying that the calorie content of nuts has been overstated?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2020/01/20/nuts-may-now-have-lower-calorie-counts-almonds-23-less-here-is-why/
  • nossmf
    Options
    Early in my military career, I stopped at Burger King every morning on my way to work to get French toast sticks and miniature cinnamon rolls. Though tasty, they never filled me up, so I'd eat full meals the rest of the day. Years later I learned that "little treat" was over 1,000 calories! Think it may have had something to do with me gaining 60 pounds over a five year span? (To be fair, frequent large helpings of tater tots and tons of full-sugar sodas with little to no exercise probably didn't help matters...)
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Options
    @nossmf : There's something about tater tots. So satisfying.
  • sjl0210
    sjl0210 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I feel like its easy to overeat and to eat too little. What you are used to, is easy. This example maybe have alot of fat and sodium? But if you are on bulk and dont mind fat its pretty good snack. But I know people struggle to eat the most easiest food with high cals, since they are just used to not eating much. I guess this is why eating is harder than training. Same in my country, high cals snack/food is cheap and easy to access, dont even need to cook. Healthy food require more time to make and more expensive, sadly. Since this mix is called trail mix, I fully understand, on trail you pretty much want this :)
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Options
    @stianjl : Now I'm curious. What country are you from and what is an example of a high-fat snack there?
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    That's technically kind of the point of trail mix... it's meant to be super calorie dense while easy to carry and eat while backpacking.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    to add (since "backpacking" has different meanings in regions of the world): here, it means a trip where you are hiking long distances (off road) and camping.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    to add (since "backpacking" has different meanings in regions of the world): here, it means a trip where you are hiking long distances (off road) and camping.

And carrying everything you need for DAYS under your own power except sometimes water if there's a water source you can use.
  • sjl0210
    sjl0210 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    @stianjl : Now I'm curious. What country are you from and what is an example of a high-fat snack there?

All kinds of nutmix have alot of fat in Norway. Nut in general is high fat, but not the worst fat though.