Intermittent Fasting

Options
1philcollins
1philcollins Posts: 13 Member
edited December 2022 in Motivation and Support
Intermittent fasting has no value if eating before and ending the fast with high carbs and sugar intake. The best benefit is no carbs before, during and after intermittent fasting.

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,224 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you think the benefits are. The benefit of making it easier to stick to a calorie goal due to a limited time for eating, that seems of value no matter what macros the person is eating.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting has no value if eating before and ending the fast with high carbs and sugar intake. The best benefit is no carbs before, during and after intermittent fasting.

That's ridiculous
  • BlindSins
    BlindSins Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    🙄
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    Options
    Should add to the title of your thread with your song "I missed again"

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    What 'value' are you attributing to IF other than weight loss? From personal experience, I ate over 200 grams of carbs yesterday and I was down .6 lbs on the scale this morning - and I do IF every day.

Calories > IF > food choices each and every day of the week.
  • JezarUK
    JezarUK Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    People are knocking this comment, but I've done Intermittent Fasting before whilst doing Keto and I lost weight VERY quickly.

I'm doing Intermittent fasting again now (not doing Keto) and I'm not losing anything (which is of course frustrating) and am wondering if there might be some truth in what this OP is saying.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    Options
    JezarUK wrote: »
    People are knocking this comment, but I've done Intermittent Fasting before whilst doing Keto and I lost weight VERY quickly.

I'm doing Intermittent fasting again now (not doing Keto) and I'm not losing anything (which is of course frustrating) and am wondering if there might be some truth in what this OP is saying.
    Because if you DON'T account for the calories you're taking in, you won't lose weight. If you IF'd for 12 hours and your calorie intake to lose weight is 2000 calories and you ate 2100 calories, you won't lose weight. And you should probably NOT do IF or keto if you can't keep up the lifestyle. Like other diet approaches, it should be a diet you can do for life or you'll likely regain weight from going back to the way you like to eat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,656 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    JezarUK wrote: »

And I've done calorie counting without intermittent fasting or keto - eating from when I get up in the morning until shortly before bed, averaging over 150g carbs daily - and lost weight pretty quickly myself.

IMO, it's almost as if you're missing something in the equation. (Literal equation: CI < CO ;):drinker: ).

P.S. I'm not dissing IF or keto. If they help a person manage calories more easily, or give an individual other benefits in their perception, that's great. Neither one is universally necessary for weight loss.