Weight loss Help

Options
Hi I’m new here I’m 28 years old and I’m overweight and I seem to can’t get my weight under control. I find my self constantly overeating and then regretting it. I don’t have any real support at home from my family. My husband says I can lose weight but he doesn’t support me like I would like him to. I don’t have a work out partner I’m just not good at working out alone because I give up to easily. How can I turn my life into a healthier lifestyle and work out by myself?

Replies

• nay0m3
    nay0m3 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    @delesiatate A good place to start is just to make one small change and the most monumental change I have personally experienced and I have read others have experienced is by simply ensuring you are getting enough protein. .8-1 x your body weight or goal weight depending on how much you have to lose.

Start there then think about moving a bit more. Maybe a walk after dinner. Maybe a walk on a break at work.

Then maybe focus on drinking more water.

Then look at calories.

Then, then, then there are so many steps to take but you don't have to do it all at once and you don't NEED anyone but YOU <3 Though I do understand how nice it would be to have a supportive husband, as I am SO grateful for mine!

Go through and read stories here. There are some super inspiring people here who will be there to support you as you start taking steps forward.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    All of the above. Start with one change at a time. And you don't need to exercise to lose weight - it can be done entirely by eating less.

In what way do you over-eat? Is it at meals or snacking?
    If it's meals, could you start by reducing your portion sizes a little? A smaller amount of pasta or one less potato or a smaller spoonful of sauce etc won't be particularly noticeable but will mean you eat fewer calories. Add more (raw, steamed or boiled) veg if you want volume. You may also find that if you add more protein to your meals and bulk your plate up with more salad or veg, you'll generally feel fuller for longer and therefore less inclined to eat more.
    If it's snacks, either stop buying stuff that's tempting or have it locked somewhere that other family members can access and you don't know where it is or go and do something else instead. Before I reach for a snack, I have a drink of water and wait five minutes. I usually find that I don't actually want the snack. Just in case, have other low-calorific options available such as an apple or some celery or plain popcorn.

If kids don't want a piece of fruit then the logic is that they're not actually hungry they're just bored or thirsty; the same can be applied to adults too.

I read something on here, a long time ago, that asked a non-smoker why they don't think about smoking. Most non-smokers probably never think about it; it's just something that we don't do. Equate that same thinking to stopping yourself from eating something that you don't really want / need. Eventually you can train your brain to not 'need' that slice of cake or second glass of wine or whatever.
  • CrazyMermaid1
    CrazyMermaid1 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Having MFP friends who support me has been very helpful. I suggest looking through the forums and if you see someone’s answers are relatable, consider sending them a friend request.
  • sbelletti
    sbelletti Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Stop waiting for support from others. YOU can control your weight if you choose to. Don't give the power to achieve or fail to anyone else.

Are you truly committed to making changes? Then make them! If you need help with setting calorie or macro goals, exercise options, etc, then you'll find all the assistance you need from us on MFP.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Hi I’m new here I’m 28 years old and I’m overweight and I seem to can’t get my weight under control. I find my self constantly overeating and then regretting it. I don’t have any real support at home from my family. My husband says I can lose weight but he doesn’t support me like I would like him to. I don’t have a work out partner I’m just not good at working out alone because I give up to easily. How can I turn my life into a healthier lifestyle and work out by myself?

I'd first encourage you to make sure you have a sustainable calorie deficit:

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg

If not, this can happen:

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/

binge-low-calorie-diet.jpg
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I'd first encourage you to make sure you have a sustainable calorie deficit:

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg

If not, this can happen:

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/

binge-low-calorie-diet.jpg

Hence the "I'm eating 1,200 calories a day and can't lose weight"
  • sjl0210
    sjl0210 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My opinion: try to focus on your diet. You dont need to track everything, but try to eat only healthy food. Drink a lot of water and get protein in. If you feel hungry, try to eat food that doesnt have much carbs or fat, like a salad or something. Or drink something when you feel hungry. But dont skip meals, eating too little can make you also not lose weight. For workout, do walking everyday. If you have more energy you could lift weights or do other sports that you prefer :)
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options
    stianjl wrote: »
    My opinion: try to focus on your diet. You dont need to track everything, but try to eat only healthy food. Drink a lot of water and get protein in. If you feel hungry, try to eat food that doesnt have much carbs or fat, like a salad or something. Or drink something when you feel hungry. But dont skip meals, eating too little can make you also not lose weight. For workout, do walking everyday. If you have more energy you could lift weights or do other sports that you prefer :)

My opinion, and what worked for me to lose weight and keep it off is to TRACK EVERYTHING. For sure try to eat healthy food because that provides the nutrients your body needs, but you can easily eat way too much healthy food. I think avocados and almonds are healthy. I can eat a day's worth of calories in ten minutes. I can also overeat brown rice. Set good goals, track what you eat completely, consistently, and honestly, then observe over time to assure that the results you see are the results you expected. If the results aren't what you expected after several weeks, you can make some changes.

The only way eating too little can keep you from losing weight is if it is so little it keeps you from performing your daily routines and activities. If you don't eat enough to get off the couch, you'll burn fewer calories. What makes you lose fat is being in a calorie deficit. Eating less is how that happens, and eating healthy is how you fuel your body and make sure that you don't feel hungry with a lower calorie intake.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    For exercise, Leslie Sansone got me back into working out after an injury. Her Walk at Home DVD's are varied (some use resistance bands, weight belts, hand weights, leg cuffs, floor exercises, etc. -- I've got 'em all) and she's very chirpy but by golly, she kept me coming back. It's been over 10 years now for me working out at home with Leslie. I'm not the gym type, not terribly athletically gifted (ha! understatement!) but there was something about her approach that felt doable, and it's easy to up the intensity as you go along. Just thought I'd suggest it because maybe she'll click with you :)