Any other pescatarians?!

Options
2»

Replies

• StellaRose227
    StellaRose227 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I've recently discovered soy curls and really liked them in the fajitas that I used them in.
  • yb6ysj825w
    yb6ysj825w Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've recently discovered soy curls and really liked them in the fajitas that I used them in.

Thanks! I’ll look for these. I make chorizo often or ground crumbles with firm tofu. I do miss fajitas texture and haven’t found a good substitute.
  • yb6ysj825w
    yb6ysj825w Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    yb6ysj825w wrote: »
    Hello! New member here. Wanted to start a discussion about struggles in getting enough protein as a pescatarian. I primarily eat plant-based with some seafood. Main sources of protein right now are tofu, beans, lentils, chia seeds, and vegan protein shakes (my filler).

Any other protein recommendations I’m missing or should try?

Shrimp is 97% protein by weight and the highest protein % of any food. Fish like sole, halibut, flounder basically most white fish are in the 80% area as well as most shellfish like clam, mussels, oysters and scallops. The fattier cuts of fish like sardines, anchovies, herring and salmon are in the 40% area so it would depend on where you get the best bang for your buck calorie wise if your trying to lose weight. This also covers B12 and omega 3's.

For example 100g's of shrimp has about 20g's of protein for about 105 calories. Atlantic salmon has around 19g's of protein per 100g's and 185 calories.

Not sure what you call adequate protein or what your goals are but it's pretty easy imo consuming enough protein. I get just over 200g's a day but then again I'm low carb and eat animal products for my protein.

I’m in the 35g-70g range in protein a day. This explains my eating all day and not getting full. I do alternate eating canned sardines, tuna, fresh salmon, shrimp, mussels. Fresh seafood can get pricey, so was looking for other alternatives.

I do not eat dairy or eggs and take a B12/D3 supplement.
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    BartBVanBockstaele Posts: 623 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options

Thanks! I’ll look for these. I make chorizo often or ground crumbles with firm tofu. I do miss fajitas texture and haven’t found a good substitute.
    There are also TVP chunks that have the shape of meatballs. I used them a lot before I switched to whole soybeans.
    Here are the ones I used to have. I really liked them quite a bit:
    b20f79txb8gz.png
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options

There are also TVP chunks that have the shape of meatballs. I used them a lot before I switched to whole soybeans.
    Here are the ones I used to have. I really liked them quite a bit:
    b20f79txb8gz.png

Where did you get these? I get TVP from. IHerb
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    edited January 2023
    Options
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    I live in Toronto, and I got these balls from FoodBasics. I also used to get TVP from Loblaws (Bob's Red Mill brand) which I hated because it is very hard, and I got TVP from Bulk Barn which is a lot more pleasant to eat, a bit cereal-like in structure but (of course) with a different taste. However, I no longer eat TVP. I just cook whole soybeans. For that reason, I also no longer eat tofu. I just don't see why I would buy tofu (which largely throws away the carbs and fibre) and TVP (which largely throws away the fat) while I can also eat the beans, and they contain both.

• VegjoyP
    Options
    I live in Toronto, and I got these balls from FoodBasics. I also used to get TVP from Loblaws (Bob's Red Mill brand) which I hated because it is very hard, and I got TVP from Bulk Barn which is a lot more pleasant to eat, a bit cereal-like in structure but (of course) with a different taste. However, I no longer eat TVP. I just cook whole soybeans. For that reason, I also no longer eat tofu. I just don't see why I would buy tofu (which largely throws away the carbs and fibre) and TVP (which largely throws away the fat) while I can also eat the beans, and they contain both.

I just got TVP on a whim as part of an on line order for the website iHerb, I hardly use it except occasion and wat it like cereal. ( lol) I actually love soy beans, white and had been thinking about ordering on line( dried, to soak). I love tofu though. Ihgrt a LOT of fiber already but of course food in its most natural state is best.
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    edited January 2023
    Options

I just got TVP on a whim as part of an on line order for the website iHerb, I hardly use it except occasion and wat it like cereal. ( lol) I actually love soy beans, white and had been thinking about ordering on line( dried, to soak). I love tofu though. Ihgrt a LOT of fiber already but of course food in its most natural state is best.
    That is precisely why I like(d) the TVP from Bulk Barn: it is totally edible without breaking your teeth, the verison from Bob's Red Mill which seems to be better known is highly unpleasant.
    As for soybeans: unless you like that, soaking may not be required. I cook them in a pressure cooker. It is exceedingly easy. I put 500 g of dried soybeans in the bowl, add 550 g of water (i.e. just about 10% more than the beans). Press the button and walk away. I let it cool, and when it is completely cooled down, I put the beans, which are now 1 kg, because the water has been absorbed while cooking, in a container in the fridge. I then rinse the bowl, and I am finished. 2-3 mins of work, tops.

As for fibre, same here. I have a daily intake that is at least double the usually recommended amount.

In the case of tofu, I distinguish between artisanal tofu and industrial tofu. I find industrial tofu disgusting, but good artisanal todu can be positively delicious. There was an artisanal tofu maker close to where I live, but he retired, sadly. However, in my opinion, cooked soybeans can't be beat. They are very tasty, a bit like soft nuts. You can also roast them in the microwave, and I love the taste but they are a bit small, and because of that I am not the greatest fan of using them as a snack. That said, I do occasionally just eat the cooked ones: I put them in a bowl and eat them with a spoon, I don't even add spices. To me, they are that good tasting.

• VegjoyP
    Options
    BartBVanBockstaele thank you for that. I use a crock pot and slow cook I have all kinds of appliances but not a pressure cooker
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,200 Member
    Options
    BartBVanBockstaele thank you for that. I use a crock pot and slow cook I have all kinds of appliances but not a pressure cooker

Note that soybeans are one of the foods that should be boiled for a while before eating, to inactivate protease inhibitors. A crock pot may not get them hot enough for long enough to do that, not sure. It's viable to boil them for the required short time, then transfer to the crock pot for full cooking. I'm not expert, but I think 10-15 minutes boiling may be enough.

I usually cook dried beans on the stove. Consequently, I don't have a full list of beans in my head that need to be boiled a bit, but I believe kidney beans are another one. Also don't know exactly the minimum boil times, either - same reason. Not sure if the reason or time is identical for all types, either.
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    edited January 2023
    Options
    That should work too. You just should (probably) be careful not to overfill it, because soybeans can foam a lot. I used to cook them in the rice cooker, but that was not the best idea I have ever had. For the rest, you just have to cook the beans a few hours longer. I don't know how long, I have heard, but cannot confirm, that they may need something like 8 hours. The biggest advantage of the pressure cooker to me is that if you use the correct quantities, all the water is absorbed by the beans, so you end up with cooked beans you can use immediately.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    Hello! New member here. Wanted to start a discussion about struggles in getting enough protein as a pescatarian. I primarily eat plant-based with some seafood. Main sources of protein right now are tofu, beans, lentils, chia seeds, and vegan protein shakes (my filler).

Shrimp is 97% protein by weight and the highest protein % of any food. Fish like sole, halibut, flounder basically most white fish are in the 80% area as well as most shellfish like clam, mussels, oysters and scallops. The fattier cuts of fish like sardines, anchovies, herring and salmon are in the 40% area so it would depend on where you get the best bang for your buck calorie wise if your trying to lose weight. This also covers B12 and omega 3's.

For example 100g's of shrimp has about 20g's of protein for about 105 calories. Atlantic salmon has around 19g's of protein per 100g's and 185 calories.

Not sure what you call adequate protein or what your goals are but it's pretty easy imo consuming enough protein. I get just over 200g's a day but then again I'm low carb and eat animal products for my protein.

I’m in the 35g-70g range in protein a day. This explains my eating all day and not getting full. I do alternate eating canned sardines, tuna, fresh salmon, shrimp, mussels. Fresh seafood can get pricey, so was looking for other alternatives.

I do not eat dairy or eggs and take a B12/D3 supplement.

From what you're eating, 35g-70g protein seems low. If your food diary were public, we could take a look and perhaps spot bad entries. Some user-created entries have mistakes in macros, micros, and/or calories.

You can change your Diary Sharing settings to Public here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • ehju0901
    ehju0901 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    One item you could add is quinoa. High in protein and very versatile. Lately I've been adding tomato, zucchini and garlic and cooking it in a vegetable broth. I also add it to chili. :)
  • antonyshow
    antonyshow Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to add more nuts and seeds to my diet. I also add Hemp Protein Powder from iHerb