Think I'm doing it wrong :(

Options
Please be kind to me :)

I lost 2lbs in my first week and was really pleased and now this week I've lost nothing.

I am very active outside of work and run about 30 miles a week, plus swimming, gym and kettlercise and probably exercise 6 out of 7 days. I have in the past gone for a run and then stuffed my face, no doubt using up all the calories I've just burnt up plus more so i have tried not to do this since i started dieting. This week I have used my activity calories and I've used my HRM to work out my calories burnt. Should I be using my activity calories or not?

In relation to what activity level I put on a daily basis, I work in an office but walk around a lot and some days I am out of the office and have to commute to London which involves a fair bit of walking. Should I put sedentary as my level as it is a desk job but not sat on my bum all day??

If I am sedentary then it is 1200 calories a day but on that I think I would need to use some of my activity calories to get more energy as I do long runs of 10 miles +

Sorry for the garble, I have an evening do at the end of October and I'd love to lose 6lbs by then so a little disappointed this morning and want to try and get it right.

Thanks

Replies

• zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    refer to your name "slowly slowly"

i would put sedentry as status and try and net 1200 calories eating most of your exercise calories. if you net 1000-1200 you should lose weight.

but one week is not going to hurt if you have an off week you should catch up next week if you are generally doing the right thing.

here's to hoping next week catches up for you.
  • Mguilmot
    Mguilmot Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    You should see your calories of "net" calories: the calories eaten - the calories burnt.
    So 1200 calories + (example) 400 calories you did extra = 1600 calories.
    If you burn 400 calories extra and do not compensate them you will end up with only 800 calories and that too little, which will cause no weight loss as your body will hold on to everything as much as possible. It's difficult to believe sometimes, but if you try it you will see it within a few weeks :-)
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Two things:

1. Are you eating back your calories? If you are, try not eating them back.

2. Just the same, its only your second week. It wasnt until my third or fourth week my weight loss started being more consistent.
  • 99Tinkerbell
    Options
    Give it time. I agree with xfaultx try not to the eat the earned calories. Just pretend you didn't earn them and you should lose.
  • SailingMike
    SailingMike Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Some things I have learned...
    1. In the first weeks of starting exercise program most folks gain weight because muscle weighs more than fat. SO don't just weigh yourself... MEASURE to see what your body is really doing.
    2. NEVER eat less than about 125O calories... OR try to loose too much too fast. Your body goes into starvation mode and retains fat.
    3. It took YEARS to put on the weight... eat HEALTHY (food pyramid) exercise regularly... and slowly it will come off.
    4. Also, SLOW weight loss is most likely to stay off long term.
    5. DON"T "diet"... just learn to eat properly and exercise regularly. Make your goal "good health."
    6. Eat back at least SOME of your exercise calories. This motivates me to exercise more!
    7. Don't deprive yourself. Learn to have just ONE bite of that cake. Total deprivation may lead to fast weight gain later.
    8. As you gained weight you probably had plateaus going up. Your body remembers these plateaus and will automatically plateau there again on the way down. Some refer to these as "set points." It may take some time and sometimes some adjustments to get past them.
    9. Mix it up. Vary your exercise from day to day and vary your menu. If you get bored you are less likely to be successful.
    10. Fill out your MyFitnessPal.com profile, particpate on the boards and add some friends who will encourage you (and maybe inspire you too) .... and HAVE FUN with it!!
    11. Move More + Eat Less = Lower Weight

"It matters not if we try and fail, and try and fail again. But it matters much if we try and fail and fail to try again."
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Options
    Not eating your exercise calories is doing it wrong. There are some very helpful posts in the forums aimed at newbies explaining in great detail about why you should eat at least most of your exercise calories.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition
  • roebuck1908
    Options
    Give it time. I agree with xfaultx try not to the eat the earned calories. Just pretend you didn't earn them and you should lose.

I agree it does take time
  • pickenslmc
    pickenslmc Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Since you are very close to your goal weight, it might be best to set yourself for a loss of .5 pounds a week, and eat all of your exercise calories.
  • slowlyslowly
    Options
    Thanks for all the quick replies. I have read the newbie posts about exercise and I think I understand the net calories bit as well.

I don't record all the exercise I do as I didn't want to eat too many activity calories, for example I walk an hour a day in my commute but I think this is just life's activity and don't record it. I will try and be more meticulous in my recording of food this week, although I did think I'd been honest and I will try and eat some but not all of my activity calories just in case they are not 100% right.

I do prefer MFP to anything I've tried before like WW or Slimming World and I'm sure it's the right thing for me, I just want to shift this stubborn half a stone!

For my breakfast I have had oatso simple and a banana and just going to have some fruit for a mid morning snack. I have noticed I am not snacking as much and have much less cravings for chocolate and I am less bloated as I have hardly eaten any bread, so there are some good things going on.

Feel much better now that I can do it - thank you!
  • kaybillie
    Options
    Hello !
    Just had to say that l really really liked what you had put here. Very interesting, it all made sense and has given me things to think about, to remember. Yes a very good reply which l think will help many.
    best wishes,
    kaybillie
  • kaybillie
    Options
    Some things I have learned...
    1. In the first weeks of starting exercise program most folks gain weight because muscle weighs more than fat. SO don't just weigh yourself... MEASURE to see what your body is really doing.
    2. NEVER eat less than about 125O calories... OR try to loose too much too fast. Your body goes into starvation mode and retains fat.
    3. It took YEARS to put on the weight... eat HEALTHY (food pyramid) exercise regularly... and slowly it will come off.
    4. Also, SLOW weight loss is most likely to stay off long term.
    5. DON"T "diet"... just learn to eat properly and exercise regularly. Make your goal "good health."
    6. Eat back at least SOME of your exercise calories. This motivates me to exercise more!
    7. Don't deprive yourself. Learn to have just ONE bite of that cake. Total deprivation may lead to fast weight gain later.
    8. As you gained weight you probably had plateaus going up. Your body remembers these plateaus and will automatically plateau there again on the way down. Some refer to these as "set points." It may take some time and sometimes some adjustments to get past them.
    9. Mix it up. Vary your exercise from day to day and vary your menu. If you get bored you are less likely to be successful.
    10. Fill out your MyFitnessPal.com profile, particpate on the boards and add some friends who will encourage you (and maybe inspire you too) .... and HAVE FUN with it!!
    11. Move More + Eat Less = Lower Weight

"It matters not if we try and fail, and try and fail again. But it matters much if we try and fail and fail to try again."