Accessibility

Options
I am frustrated that the barcode scan and create recipe functions are now premium only. I would buy the premium subscription if there were not glitches in the app. My exercise calories fluctuate randomly. First look 1,000 cal, next look 140 cal. in the same day. Also the premium subscription is so expensive. I have used the free version for years and it would be a shame if I had to find another app.

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,231 Member
    Options
    I am frustrated about it too. Since there's only three things I can do about it, I have a choice:
    1. Be a premium member
    2. Use the free version and not use the scanner
    3. Leave MFP

The only option that is untenable for me is the third. It would be very unfortunate FOR ME if I had to leave the app/website. Even with all it's current bugs and glitches, it's got powerful tools.

Best wishes in all your endeavors if you leave, but please realize the only one it will be a shame for is yourself. Just like whether or not to eat that second doughnut, the choice is all yours.
  • Sparkuvu
    Sparkuvu Posts: 2,556 Member
    Options
    Quite a few that I associate with on here use a different site for logging and use this to continue social interaction with their 'friends' on here. I personally feel that MFP is very far from accuracy in logging and do not feel confidant that anything improves in the premium---they pretty much cut off their own arm and a leg cutting out half or more of their members who were contributing to an updated data base.
  • herblovinmom
    herblovinmom Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I am frustrated that the barcode scan and create recipe functions are now premium only. I would buy the premium subscription if there were not glitches in the app. My exercise calories fluctuate randomly. First look 1,000 cal, next look 140 cal. in the same day. Also the premium subscription is so expensive. I have used the free version for years and it would be a shame if I had to find another app.

Create a recipe feature?? Mine still works.. I’ve been free user for many many years and I’ve created lots of recipes. It worked today even, I sure hope they don’t remove that feature from the free users. I got over the barcode scanner being taken away. It was only accurate half the time and I’d have to create a food anyways…It’s one thing to create a new feature for premium users only but to take away a previously free feature from your loyal users is just blatantly rude.
    I have yet to find a food tracking diary app that i enjoy as much as MFP so I stay…
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options

You're frustrated that the scanner is no longer free.

I'm frustrated that people keep complaining about the scanner being switched to premium only, and do it in parts of the Community that MFP staff don't normally read . . . and do it several months after the change was announced, and AFAIK several months after it was implemented.

Here, you're just complaining to other regular MFP users who have no more power than you do to change things . . . and the more time passes, the more you're mostly complaining to one of two kinds of other regular users: (1) those who don't use the scanner or don't use it enough to care that it's no longer free, or (2) those who decided premium was worth paying for, either because of the scanner or other features.

If you want to complain someplace MFP staff might read it, post in here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/feature-suggestions-and-ideas

. . . or up-vote one of the other complaints about it that's in there.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Sparkuvu wrote: »
    Quite a few that I associate with on here use a different site for logging and use this to continue social interaction with their 'friends' on here. I personally feel that MFP is very far from accuracy in logging and do not feel confidant that anything improves in the premium---they pretty much cut off their own arm and a leg cutting out half or more of their members who were contributing to an updated data base.

They actually haven't cut off any arms or legs. Membership is at all time high and since Francisco Partners acquired the app in 2020, revenues have gone through the roof namely due to pushing the premium feature. Would I buy it...no...don't need it bar code or not. But from a business standpoint and revenue generation it's the right move.

At this point, it's becoming increasingly difficult to find a diet and/or fitness app where the free version is anymore than the bare basics. Subscriptions are where the money is at and most apps are trending the same way.
  • LisaMoxon155
    LisaMoxon155 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I use the scanner and recipe building all the time and I am not paying for it