Road to 40 and beyond!

Options
Hello everyone I got on the scale Valentine’s Day and I was 242 pounds and while that put me in the cuddly teddy bear dad bod space that was not where I wanted to be for my 40th birthday on march 14th. Fast forward to today I am 234. I have been doing a combo of eating clean and working out hard to get my over all health up (Insanity, Tonal, and Peloton). I have thrown a few vitamin supplements in and a BCAA powder to help with recovery. My goal is Sub 220 while I am sitting on maroma beach bringing in my 40th year! I welcome all the support love and suggestion of the community. What’s working for you? What hasn’t worked? I want to hear it all. Come along and keep me company on my journey. I hope it is as beneficial to you as it is for me!

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,344 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the community and your weight loss journey!

I'm not sure what you mean by "clean eating." That means different things to different people. Working out hard can help your overall fitness, but the one thing - the only thing - that will work for weight (fat) loss is to make sure you stay in a caloric deficit.

The thing, the ONLY thing, that will work out long-term is to develop habits you can stick with indefinitely. If you can continue "working out hard" for the rest of your life, then that's an option. You still will need a calorie deficit to lose fat. Without good habits you can maintain, even if you get to your Beach Goal Weight for your birthday, if you don't stick with it, you won't stay there.
  • nay0m3
    nay0m3 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Happy almost 40th! Sounds like you are kicking things off on your journey with some great moves!

Curious what do you do to "work out hard"?

Have a great day!
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    I'm a math guy by nature, and your numbers make me a little nervous...

Feb 14: Weight 242
    Feb 21: Weight 234 (lost 8# in 7 days)
    Mar 14: Weight 220 Goal (need to lose 14# in 21 days)

While losing a total of 22# is more than realistic, I balk at the time-frame involved. A standard goal is a pound per week; an aggressive goal is two pounds per week. You claim to have lost more than a pound per DAY, with a goal of FIVE POUNDS per week going forward. The only possible ways these numbers can occur is through massive water loss, not actual fat.

Be careful, my friend. There's zero reason you can't succeed at a fitness program at your age, but this is recklessly unhealthy, IMHO.
  • Maelogic
    Maelogic Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Mtaratoot and Nossmf both of you shared really good advice thank you for being concerned enough to care. It means a lot. I fell off of a mountain literally and figuratively. During my road to recovery I let my self indulge in foods I never would have eaten while I was fighting and playing sports. The pastas, cakes, prime rib and fried chicken I missed out on during my prime I made up for when I was hurt lol. But over all I prefer to feel comfortable in my body rather than seek comfort from food. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed every bite but l rather not have difficulty putting on my shoes because my belly was in the way.

Nay0m3 thanks for the bday wishes! My most favorite series of workouts for getting lean and shredded have been the original Insanity regimen by Shaun T my body responds really well to it. I do that in the morning with minimum two hours break in between then lunch I do a peloton ride (Hanna Frankson is my go to instructor she is very genuine)
    And before dinner I do a tonal set I am currently finishing up the 4 week fast track with gabby. Not all of these are every day insanity is 6 days a week (one of the days is a yoga day) and the four week fast track on tonal is 4 days a week. One day a week I do absolutely nothing but rest (which may include acupuncture /chiropractic/ massage therapy or some combination).

I have some food sensitivity so while I am training my diet is very simple and simultaneously puts me in a caloric deficit but I never eat less than 1500 calories because that would absolutely not allow my body to protects my organs and have enough fuel to help my muscles recover from workouts adequately. This app is super awesome because it makes it super easy for me to track my meals which are in my diary.

Again thank you all for taking the time to say hello I hope to get to know each of you as well!