Low T, Empty Sella and IBS (but trying to lose weight)

Options
So, I'm a 52 year old guy, 5' 9" and weigh in around 254. I never thought I'd be at this weight and I'm disgusted. Forgive me for sounding like an old man, but I feel terrible and I'm now having an issue with my right knee -- so I'm drawing a line.

I have Empty Sella Syndrome, which means my pituitary gland is flattened, thus lowering my average Testosterone to 150-250 range (the rest of my endocrine system functions normally). I've been on hormone replacement (shots) and it didn't help much, but thickened my blood, so I had to get off the Testosterone. Dieting is also tough, because I suffer from bad IBS, so many foods make me sick. I'm also pre-diabetic, but can't tolerate Metformin. So, I'm back to MyFitnessPal to see if I can make some changes (also just changed insurance, so dealing with a whole slew of new doctors).

SO, MY QUESTIONS ARE: Does anyone have IBS or other stomach-related issue that makes losing weight difficult? And what types of foods do you tolerate? For instance, I can't each lettuce very often, so I find that spinach is easy on my stomach. I'm allergic to spray releases, preservatives for leafy veggies (bagged lettuce), and sugar alcohols. That knocks out a number of dietary options for me, but I'm looking for any advice. I don't want to creep up to 275 or 300. That's how I got here.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,131 Member
    Options
    Well, asking for specific limited input is going to naturally limit the responses.

No need to eat food that doesn't serve you. Eat the food you like, in the calorie limits you are given. There is a number of calories at which you will lose weight, it may be lower or higher than what this site (or anyone else) tells you, so log your food. Everything. Make notes to yourself about what foods give you issues and just don't eat those. Do that for a month and see how you do...adjust at the end of that time if you aren't losing or losing too fast.

All of us have some limitations. You can find your way, I have faith in you. There are a million foods - lettuce and grains and whatever else affects you just aren't on your personal menu. Easy enough. Eat the 999,000 other foods. :)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,024 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at a fodmap diet or other elimination, inflammation type diets, maybe take a look and take one for a test drive for 30 days and see what happens.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,007 Member
    Options
    My mother has IBS and is able to eat foods high in insoluble fiber, like salads, after first eating soluble fiber. I don't see that exact article, but it's on this website somewhere, and here is a good one on the benefits of soluble fiber for IBS.

https://www.helpforibs.com/diet/fiber1.asp

She also takes acacia powder:

https://www.heatherstummycare.com/p/suplmts_acacia/tummy-fiber-acacia-senegal-pouch/
  • jeditemple
    jeditemple Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at a fodmap diet or other elimination, inflammation type diets, maybe take a look and take one for a test drive for 30 days and see what happens.

Thanks -- I looked it up and saw some red flags on my part. I'm going to give it a try like you said.
  • jeditemple
    jeditemple Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    All of us have some limitations. You can find your way, I have faith in you.

Thanks! Just really need the encouragement right now.

• Rockymountainflyer
    Rockymountainflyer Posts: 26 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Log calories and find ways to move - ride bike, sit down rowing etc. If you eat less, you'll save money on food, so spend the money on what you need to move and/or quality food you love - berries, smoked salmon etc! A year from now will pass whether you take control of your health or not. I lost 20% of my weight, but it took 15 months. I developed severe food allergies at about age 50 and can't eat out, even trust friend's cooking. I can't eat most packaged food due to cross contamination. Figure it out! I bought an oil sprayer to fill myself, a spiralizer for zucchini noodles, i can have the chorizo at natural grocers. You can do it!
  • drv123
    drv123 Posts: 63 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options

OP this is the way. I'm close to your age, same height and have IBS. I started out at 276 and am down to 245 after 3 months. Check out the FODMAP stuff, find the foods that work for you then stick to it and you'll get it going.

For me the difference is night and day, I no longer have any pain and feel like I'm slowly shrinking back to what I should be at in terms of weight. Tracking things on here really helps work out what causes symptoms and what doesn't.
  • MeganLuna13
    MeganLuna13 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I don't have IBS but due to having to have my large bowel removed, I have a lot of food intolerances. Glad it's not just me who can't have lettuce! I'm 2 stone down in just under 2 months, it can be done. Just eat what your body does like but make sure it's within your calorie allowance for the day. If you eat less than you burn, you will lose weight. Plus, be kind to yourself. :) Good luck!