What’s your pre workout (meal, shake, routine?)

Options

Hi fit fam. My pre workout shake consists of:
1 scoop of creatine
1 scoop of BCAAs
1 scoop of cocoa flavonals
1 scoop of spermidine
1 teaspoon of Saigon cinnamon
1 scoop of collagen peptides

Replies

• SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Just a cup of black coffee 🤷‍♀️

I'm usually at the gym by 5:30 AM and if I have more than that just before lifting I'm likely to puke.
  • DoubleG2
    DoubleG2 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    One cup of black coffee with a teaspoon of raw sugar. Anything more than that at 5:45 am is a no go.

I prefer to lift in a fasted state.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Coffee.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,081 Member
    Options
    I work out at 5am, so before I hit the road I add an Emergen-C packet to 8oz of water with a caffeine pill.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I work out at 2pm so my pre workout is lunch at noon. The coffee is 30 minutes before the gym.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    It's deep Winter here, so often a Lindt chocolate truffle before a workout to steel my resolve. (I've already had nutritious meals. The truffle is psychology. I don't adore my Winter workouts.) Sometimes dried fruit (prunes, pineapple, mango) instead.

In Spring through Fall, peanut butter on Ezekiel pita and a glass of kefir before I row (boats, on a river), a.k.a. breakfast; lunch (varied) before biking because it's usually afternoon. Water and snacks en route sometimes, for longer bike rides . . . something salty like crispy broad beans if it's hot, something like mini Kind bar if I'm peckish or energy is flagging.

For me, fasted workouts are miserable - not only do I feel bad, I also underperform in objective terms. I always eat before. My digestive system is cast iron in this way: No digestive distress from a reasonable meal before even a hard workout.

I prefer food to supplements, prefer overall nutritious eating vs. special timing - not saying that's anything more than personal preference, because we all have different preferences. I do eat some creatine in yogurt some time every day, though. Ceylon cinnamon (1/2 tsp.) in my daily oatmeal (mostly for yum). (I'm a little scared of frequent cassia cinnamon in quantity, TBH.) Plenty of protein everywhere in meals and snacks all day long, plus ridiculous amounts of varied veggies/fruits for ample micros and beneficial phytochemicals. I figure good overall nutrition is a good foundation for both health and fitness, don't usually do special pre/post workout things unless I need them for subjective energy or appetite reasons. YMMV, of course.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Since it's usually 3+ hours since a meal, I'll have a minor snack of about 120-190 calories, such as a banana or a granola bar, or maybe a protein bar if I need that to help make my daily target.
  • JaysFan82
    JaysFan82 Posts: 851 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    I'm up at 630am and at the gym by 7am. My workouts are running for 30 minutes on the treadmill at 6.1 mph(working towards 6.5) followed by 30 minutes of strength training.

For my pre workout:
    I have a whole wheat english muffin toasted with a little I Can't Believe It's Not Butter. I wash it down with 1 measured cup of orange juice.