Celery!!!?

Options
2»

Replies

• BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    I love Celery! Raw, cooked (as long as it still has ‘bite’). Loved it as a child, love it now…

It doesn’t need anything added, it’s fine as it is, crunchy, refreshing and really tasty!

Love it in a three bean salad (kidney, broad & green beans, red onion and celery), also very finely sliced in coleslaw. With apples and sweetcorn relish.

I almost always use it in soups, stir fries, braised in vegetable stock as a vegetable side.

I get through a couple of heads of celery a week, by myself. 🤷‍♀️
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 I went out to dinner last night in NYC to an austrian/french restaurant (Koloman) as an appetizer we had celeriac tartar which was raw celeriac grated and prepared with condiments usually used for beef tartar. It was wild. Very good. I have used raw celeriac in salads before (i soak it in acidulated milk first to keep it from browning), but this was a new experience.

@Lietchi the celery I was raving about at the farmers market was green celery - smaller very intense and quite green. A completely different experience. I liked it raw as well as cooked. I also love fennel - raw or roasted. When I roast it I just cut it in half, drizzle with a few drops of olive oil, salt and pepper, and a grating of parmiggiano (maybe some paprika for color).

I read an article that suggested that people who dislike subtle tasting foods/find them bland — i believe they were analyzing cucumbers specifically — may have trained their palate to prefer more intense flavors that do not occur naturally. The article was discussing a study specifically related to cutting out the use of high fructose corn syrup and suggested that participants who switched to a diet that did not incorporate highly sugared/processed foods suddenly found these vegetables tasty in ways they had not previously appreciated. Of course I can’t find the article because I was reading it before I was thinking about this thread…. It makes sense intuitively because if I taste something intensely sweet and then eat something less sweet after I can’t taste the second food at all.

• NewGrl64
    NewGrl64 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Grill it with a little olive oil and garlic salt. YUM.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    Options
    I read an article that suggested that people who dislike subtle tasting foods/find them bland — i believe they were analyzing cucumbers specifically — may have trained their palate to prefer more intense flavors that do not occur naturally. The article was discussing a study specifically related to cutting out the use of high fructose corn syrup and suggested that participants who switched to a diet that did not incorporate highly sugared/processed foods suddenly found these vegetables tasty in ways they had not previously appreciated.

That makes sense. I found many foods- especially fruit- were more flavorful after I began weight loss, which included cutting HFCs, candy, processed foods- oranges and strawberries in particular.

I’ve always loved cucumbers, though. A fresh cucumber from the garden, sprinkled with a little salt?

I’ve been spending a lot of time in Germany lately, and have discovered they use thin cucumber slices on savory breakfast sandwiches. First of all, yes for sandwiches for breakfast! And it’s amazed me how much taste those slivers of cucumber add. They amp up the flavors of everything.

Even now that I’ve learned I don’t have to be so strict and eat some processed foods (primarily Nugo bars, sugar free products, and the occasional chips) and sweets (Doughnut Sundays) I‘be been fortunate enough to retained the New and Improved taste buds. 👍🏻
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    @springlering62 - Those 'NuGo' bars are so good...on a whim I purchased one of them and now have a few nibbles every night now. 'Addicted' to highly processed/sugary 'thing'...I'm thinking eating some of these things isn't doing my taste buds any favors though...

Glad you are able to 'retain' your improved taste buds with incorporating these highly palatable foods.
  • paints5555
    paints5555 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

There are some veggies I prefer with a little salt or other seasoning, but lots of them taste great to me plain. I love most veggies, exception for lima beans and most seaweed. (Others can have my share of those, if they like them.)

I never liked lima beans as a child as my mother always used to cook them to death and they were always dry and unappetizing. Once I had fresh (properly cooked) lima beans I realized that I really like them.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 I went out to dinner last night in NYC to an austrian/french restaurant (Koloman) as an appetizer we had celeriac tartar which was raw celeriac grated and prepared with condiments usually used for beef tartar. It was wild. Very good. I have used raw celeriac in salads before (i soak it in acidulated milk first to keep it from browning), but this was a new experience.

@Lietchi the celery I was raving about at the farmers market was green celery - smaller very intense and quite green. A completely different experience. I liked it raw as well as cooked. I also love fennel - raw or roasted. When I roast it I just cut it in half, drizzle with a few drops of olive oil, salt and pepper, and a grating of parmiggiano (maybe some paprika for color).

I read an article that suggested that people who dislike subtle tasting foods/find them bland — i believe they were analyzing cucumbers specifically — may have trained their palate to prefer more intense flavors that do not occur naturally. The article was discussing a study specifically related to cutting out the use of high fructose corn syrup and suggested that participants who switched to a diet that did not incorporate highly sugared/processed foods suddenly found these vegetables tasty in ways they had not previously appreciated. Of course I can’t find the article because I was reading it before I was thinking about this thread…. It makes sense intuitively because if I taste something intensely sweet and then eat something less sweet after I can’t taste the second food at all.

That makes a lot of sense. Now that I think about it, I liked vegetables more back when I could taste more in general. Now unless there’s some kind of flavor whomp, they’re just all bland and mushy feeling in my mouth. I thought I got most of my taste back after COVID, but I may have been optimistic.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    @Hiawassee88 that looks so good! :yum:

I used to just compost celery leaves or use them and the ends to make soup stock, but I recently learned to dry out the leaves (ditto celeriac) and they're really nice to sprinkle on all kinds of dishes. I had seen "celery salt" before but had no idea what it was. Well, now I frequently use it without the salt and am quite pleased with it. It is surprisingly flavorful.
  • Kupla71
    Kupla71 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    After many years of disliking raw celery I finally decided I would give it another try. Well. I still can’t say I like it. I love the crunch but don’t like the taste. I have tried it with cream cheese. Seems like a waste of cream cheese. I will try it with various other things such as peanut butter, hummus, maybe some salt. I happened to buy organic too. Has anyone out there gone from disliking celery to liking it? If so, what did you pair it with?
    - wanting to like celery
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    I enjoy celery in many things. But the bomb back in the day was peanut butter on it! We had it on the lunch menu in school.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,270 Member
    Options
    @Kupla71

I don't remember ever disliking celery. I remember thinking it was kind of boring, but never disliked it. I remember peanut butter filled celery being very delicious. I never even heard of "Ants on a Log" until just a year or so ago; I never had that growing up. I also remember my mom "peeling" the strings off. I never bother with that; never have. I think she still does, even if she is going to slice it thin for things like tuna salad.

If you don't like the flavor, there's probably nothing you can do about that except wait and try it again another time in the future.

Funny - I was talking to my dad a few weeks (or months) ago about celery and adding it to probably my bean salad (dried beans, cooked, with lots and lots of vegetables and some olive oil and balsamic and spices). He wondered if it added much aside from crunch. I told him yes, it has flavor. He asked the same thing about parsley. Good fresh parsley does have flavor. That goes in my bean salad too.

A friend who ate some of my bean salad commented that "she didn't like parsley, but now she's reconsidering." Tastes can change.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    @Kupla71

I don't remember ever disliking celery. I remember thinking it was kind of boring, but never disliked it. I remember peanut butter filled celery being very delicious. I never even heard of "Ants on a Log" until just a year or so ago; I never had that growing up. I also remember my mom "peeling" the strings off. I never bother with that; never have. I think she still does, even if she is going to slice it thin for things like tuna salad.

If you don't like the flavor, there's probably nothing you can do about that except wait and try it again another time in the future.

Funny - I was talking to my dad a few weeks (or months) ago about celery and adding it to probably my bean salad (dried beans, cooked, with lots and lots of vegetables and some olive oil and balsamic and spices). He wondered if it added much aside from crunch. I told him yes, it has flavor. He asked the same thing about parsley. Good fresh parsley does have flavor. That goes in my bean salad too.

A friend who ate some of my bean salad commented that "she didn't like parsley, but now she's reconsidering." Tastes can change.

I "peel" celery. I learned to do it here in Italy. It takes off the tough outer strings. I use the peelings to make broth.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

My 'issue' with raw celery isn't that it's bland, quite the opposite, I find (green) celery quite strong and particular in flavor. Which is why I don't particularly like (green) celery stalks for dipping for example. So either raw white celery for me (and even then, rather diced more finely and mixed with other veg) or cooked white/green (also integrated in a dish).

The most frequent/well known use of celery here, is for moules marinières (mussels): mussels prepared with sauteed celery and onion (and often white while) - I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    @Lietchi : I totally agree with you! Celery has a distinct flavor. I clearly need to go to Belgium and eat moules marinières at a nice little restaurant by the sea!
  • Kupla71
    Kupla71 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I think celery has a very distinct flavour too. I tried it with hummus and kind of enjoyed it. Better than the cream cheese I thought. I’m making a chicken stock right now out of chicken bones, celery, onions and carrots. I like celery cooked. I have 2 stalks left. I think I’ll try peanut butter on one and use the other for tuna salad sandwiches. So many uses for celery!
  • drana325
    drana325 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I like Celery