For the Ladies

Options
I was just wondering if anyone here has had an follicular cyst I think that’s what dr said it was? I've never had one until here recently I think I might have one now another stink flare up . I'm experiencing cramplike/stabbing pain on my left side, right side & basically all around lower abdomen as well nausea bloating that makes look pregnant when not pregnant as 7-9 months . If anyone has ever suffered from this type of cyst what is the best types of Foods to Eat & Foods that should Avoid ? I haven’t been told what I should Eat & Avoid. I can already tell ya love my chocolate, ocassionly sodas, rarely coffee & sometimes Teas.
If there’s a diet any of ya do for the following ir any sort advice help or input.

I was on a 2 year weight loss journey bandwagon then this stinking thing it jumped the tracks & now my weight went up due bloating now I’m determined to get back on that bandwagon and get wheels up n running.

I thank ya for read in’ my big long post hope y’all have great day.

Replies

• Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 712 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Follicular cysts are sometimes just called ovarian cysts - I had a roommate who used to get them almost every month. I did fertility treatments for a while and I ended up getting a couple after they concluded. Many people have them every month and don’t ever know because they are not ordinarily painful. They are not really caused by what you eat, though some people suggest increasing fiber and say they get some relief from certain foods. They are hormonal in origin. They definitely can cause bloating, but that is not fat gain and should subside once the cyst resolves. More importantly, you should not let it slide if this is a recurrent thing and comes with pain and severe bloating because it can indicate significant problems. Here is what the Mayo clinic has to say about them, but go see a gynecologist to make sure you aren’t risking your fertility or don’t have other associated problems like endometriosis.
    https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/ovarian-cysts/symptoms-causes/syc-20353405
    Here is some advice on home remedies (including diet) but if you are in pain and severely bloated go to the doctor!
    https://www.healthline.com/health/womens-health/ovarian-cyst-treatment-at-home#takeaway
  • royalsmash728453
    Options
    Yes I see a dr for this stuff but never gotten prescribed any medications had google what to take so I take OTC Midol
    It’s like a bandaid helps for short while but atleast it’s something for the pains.

But with all my body has been thru yep I have gained weight with having the cysts all body’s are different and I’d wished I not gained the weight but it is what it is.

I eat healthy greens & fresh produce and chicken. This example
  • katemcd495
    katemcd495 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I had one years ago. Pain so bad I was puking. Went into the ER. They thought my appendix had ruptured, but when they went in it was the cyst that had ruptured. Got my appendix out anyhow since they were there. lol
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I've recommended this a few times but IMO with these kinds of issues it can be beneficial to see if there are any doctors who practice NaPRO around you if that isn't an avenue you've explored before. It's a different approach to gynecological health than what is typical care for women in the US and has helped several friends of mine including a few who have had ovarian cysts.

A healthy diet can only help you in terms of healing; so it's good you're paying attention to that! :) I hope you get some answers and have these resolve soon. :)
  • royalsmash728453
    Options
    I’m eating foods from a website that it is just for feminine health issues. When I go onto their website I slide recipe to make for a 1 person meal. I have uploaded some recipes from femininehealthclub.com onto MyFitnessPal and let them do work and I swapped out stuff all way down to lowest of low calories could see imaginable. I’ve been quite a few diets and none seemed to work for my body & these foods that I cook with not as extreme bloating as what had been. I wish i knew what kind of drink could make that I could bake at home that it removes / cleanses out the toxins or sugars that will help with weight loss jumpstart. I wish had wrote down what drank about 3 yrs ago I lost a bit of water weight or fluid buildup then boy oh boy I then with exercise and drinking that stuff eating all different types of diets was on I ended up losing round 40 lbs. I can not have grapefruit , avocado upsets me ….. then get this crappy stuff that being told there is no cure ya got to live with it & eat healthy and what nots. Ask drs allz times what is the correct portion size because I’m also trying lose weight as well. It’s called portion distortion huh what on earth is this ?? I asked are you saying if a recipe calls for say 1 cup of spinach I’m to eat what 1/2 or 1/3 cup of spinach then yes you are… I was very confused plus I don’t think that’s what it really is it ? I was also told calorie count , portion size & stay away from sugars. Well if ya think about some of our Fresh Produce has Sugars in it but it’s own natural sugars no Harmful Added Sugars…..

I said am i to steer clear of my fresh fruits then 🤣 & carrots . The dr said eat the
    “ Your Whole Foods and plant based”

So with myself I’ve never been really told what is the approbate serving sizes when measuring into the meal prep containers after the meal is already cooked.

So yup clueless as ever & need any bodies help
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,359 Member
    Options
    I’m eating foods from a website that it is just for feminine health issues. When I go onto their website I slide recipe to make for a 1 person meal. I have uploaded some recipes from femininehealthclub.com onto MyFitnessPal and let them do work and I swapped out stuff all way down to lowest of low calories could see imaginable. I’ve been quite a few diets and none seemed to work for my body & these foods that I cook with not as extreme bloating as what had been. I wish i knew what kind of drink could make that I could bake at home that it removes / cleanses out the toxins or sugars that will help with weight loss jumpstart.

There is no such drink, food, or supplement. But there are plenty of web sites that will want to sell you one anyway, usually not cheaply.
    I wish had wrote down what drank about 3 yrs ago I lost a bit of water weight or fluid buildup then boy oh boy I then with exercise and drinking that stuff eating all different types of diets was on I ended up losing round 40 lbs. I can not have grapefruit , avocado upsets me ….. then get this crappy stuff that being told there is no cure ya got to live with it & eat healthy and what nots.
    If you have water retention that is due to a health condition, such as heart disease, consult your doctor.

If you have normal water fluctuations of a few pounds up and down, let your body do what it wants to do. Several-pound water weight fluctuations from one day to the next are part of how a healthy body stays healthy, and it's a bad idea to interfere with that. Our bodies know what they're doing.

Yes, it affects scale weight. But what most of us want to lose is body fat, right? Ideally permanently? Trying to manipulate normal, healthy water retention is a complete distraction. Ignore it, look at your weight trend over 4-6 weeks or longer to see the gradual fat loss.
    Ask drs allz times what is the correct portion size because I’m also trying lose weight as well. It’s called portion distortion huh what on earth is this ?? I asked are you saying if a recipe calls for say 1 cup of spinach I’m to eat what 1/2 or 1/3 cup of spinach then yes you are… I was very confused plus I don’t think that’s what it really is it ?

Portion size is what you want it to be, within your personal calorie and nutrition goals.

Maybe you're exaggerating but "portion distortion" is a real thing - we get used to eating bigger portions of everything. Spinach is low calorie, high nutrition. Spinach portion distortion is usually not a problem.

What is a portion distortion problem?

Log what you normally eat. Look at what you logged. Find the spots where a food contributes a lot of calories, and doesn't have enough nutrition (or satiation, or tastiness to you, etc.) to be worth those calories. Reduce portions of that.

What things those are is individual. For many of us, they include very calorie dense things such as oils, butter, fatty meats, fried foods, sweet baked goods, dressings; sweetened drinks like soda/pop, sweet coffee drinks, sweet tea, fruit juices; alcoholic drinks; or side dishes we've simply gotten used to eating in big amounts for filler, like pasta, rice, bread. You can find out which things you're eating in too-big portions for you by looking at the foods you log.
    I was also told calorie count , portion size & stay away from sugars. Well if ya think about some of our Fresh Produce has Sugars in it but it’s own natural sugars no Harmful Added Sugars…..

I said am i to steer clear of my fresh fruits then 🤣 & carrots . The dr said eat the
    “ Your Whole Foods and plant based”
    The national/international nutrition bodies (NIH, NHS, USDA, WHO, etc.) do not regard the sugars in fruits, veggies, or no-sugar added dairy as a problem. Added sugars are what they single out. Added sugars make it easy to get too many calories, can make it hard to get good nutrition if we limit calories but eat lots of added sugar, and can cause dental cavities.

It's theoretically possible to eat so much of fruits or sweet veggies or no-sugar-added dairy foods that we can't get enough protein or enough healthy fats into our eating without exceeding our calorie goal. That's not a practical problem for most people. If it is a problem for you because you eat truly huge amounts of fruit and not enough protein, then yes, eat less fruit and more protein.

Reviewing your food logs will reveal whether that's a problem for you or not.

So with myself I’ve never been really told what is the approbate serving sizes when measuring into the meal prep containers after the meal is already cooked.
    The best answer is to get a food scale, learn the tips and tricks for using it efficiently, then use it. Weigh as many parts of your eating individually before cooking them (i.e., measure each ingredient raw as you cook), and log them. You will soon learn what the appropriate portion sizes for you. \

Personally, I don't think portion control containers are helpful. Some people like them. For me, a portion container for veggies is going to have a lot more calories if I fill it with sweet corn kernels rather than raw cucumbers. That doesn't mean I can't eat corn, it just means I'd fine-tune my portions of either corn or cucumbers to my personal tastes and needs.

You have eating preferences that are individual, either because of taste, satiation, affordability, practicality, and more. Your food log, plus your knowledge of yourself, is what can tell you how much of each food you should eat to hit your calorie goal while staying mostly full and happy.

So yup clueless as ever & need any bodies help

Just start logging whatever you eat, and reviewing your logs. Based on what you see, adjust your routine eating patterns in ways that better meet your personal goals. It doesn't have to be perfect from the first day. Just keep working at improving it until you have a sustainable set of routine new habits that accomplish your goals.

Best wishes!

• penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    As usual @AnnPT77 has very good advice.

There's really nothing magical (though it would be nice if there was!) If your doctor wants you to eat specific foods ask why and if there are alternatives that might suit your tastes better. I wouldn't force yourself to eat things you don't like.

I think learning how to measure your food will be a great skill to help you manage your calories. A food scale is inexpensive and small and adaptable to any way of eating that you find works for you. Keeping track, honestly, of what you eat is a great first step. Once you know, accurately, what you're actually eating, then you can get some insight into where to go to cut calories and manage your weight.

I can't say whether this will be true for you, but there are a lot of chronic health conditions that seem to go away or at least improve when the weight comes off. Our bodies are complicated systems and we don't always know why something works but can still observe that it does.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,718 Member
    Options
    Portion containers already tells me "loose logging".
    NOT EVERYONE "needs" help in figuring things out.
    I *DID*.

I am sure that there is a saying somewhere that what you don't measure and don't know you can't control.

My opinion only, of course, but I wanted to eat the MOST I could; while STILL achieving my goal of weight loss. I wanted to consider and implement changes I could see myself making long term.

I GIFTED to myself the tool of LOGGING as ACCURATELY AS I POSSIBLY COULD. Because that would give me knowledge, the ability to review my logs, the ability to then evaluate what was working out or not working out for me. The ability to adjust.

There is/was a cost in time to implement that. The cost was disproportionately large in the beginning. There were side effects too. None of the side effects were un-helpful to me at least in the context of giving me a better ability to control my weight trajectory.

And after this build up: Logging as accurately as I could.

--nothing in my mouth until fully logged by weight. fully logged by correct entry. entry cross referenced with government sources (used to be USDA now food data central and similar)

Yes. I am not talking after the fact. BEFORE.

The side effect especially in the beginning is a reduction in eating because frankly the effort is not worth it. And a reduction in eating out because frankly it is difficult to log accurately when eating out. And an introduction of simple to log foods that would help take the edge off while preparing a more complex meal (see apples) which I could then put off for a few hours. None of these things were bad for me when I was Class III obese and implementing a significant deficit.

Sure. I now log after the fact. Loosely. Sometimes using "equivalent' entries. That's eight years later. A good six or seven of which I've been at a "normal" weight.

If you weigh what is in your portion control bowl and implement what I write above you won't be wondering about what you're eating and what portion size to use. You will see the calories that you're spending on each and every item. And you will be able to implement substitutions and decide which items are worthwhile to you and which ones are not.

Do make sure you eat at least the minimum amounts of proteins, fats, and fiber. Beyond that there is a wide gamut of preferred eating methods. Which you CAN discover for yourself.

Your long term weight trend will be dictated by your long terms balance of Calories in vs Calories out.