I lose weight but then I don't keep it off.

Options
Hello every one I am getting started again. I lose weight but then I don't keep it off.
I want things to be different this time.
Glen

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's a bit of a mind game, for sure.

Make it happen.
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    So what are you going to do differently this time from all the other times? What have you done in the past, and how can the MFP community help you fix the problem, assuming that is what you want?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Regaining weight is directly caused by eating more than you need to. Learn NOT to overeat once you lose weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• markswife892
    markswife892 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hello every one I am getting started again. I lose weight but then I don't keep it off.
    Glen

I wish you good luck this time in maintaining your weight loss! it's difficult for sure.
  • Jess_Below_30
    Jess_Below_30 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. @Sinisterbarbie1 asked some good questions. If you’re like me, you don’t have an answer yet. If you do, share then tho!
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    @Jess_Below_30 a couple of things that I think are helping me with maintenance are that I lost weight relatively slowly (a little under 80 lbs over about 2 years) and I did so by measuring and recording everything so that I was very mindful of what I am eating. I have continued with the measuring and recording, and I realize that my maintenance is only a few hundred calories above my losing weight level. This is not because there is anything wrong with my metabolism - smaller bodies require less energy. So I have merely adjusted my maintenance lifestyle to be ever so slightly different than my active weight loss life style. For me, going in realizing this meant I was not going to try some drastic diet that I couldn’t keep up forever or cut things out of my life that I intended to return to after I was done losing weight. I needed to do everything in moderation that I was going to continue to do, and make peace with eliminating certain things forever that just didn’t serve my health or diet goals well.
    Perhaps adopting a mindset now that you can live with for the long term will help you as well - good luck!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,201 Member
    Options
    Glen

You have excellent practical advice from others above. I will add this:

Mindset - how you think about things - is very important. In particular, how you define yourself is very, very important.

You say "I lose weight but then I don't keep it off. I want things to be different this time."

That's a mindset - one that doesn't create much conceptual room for change.

Can you shift it just a little? For example, can you at least shift it to "I used to lose weight, but then I didn't keep it off. I will make things be different this time."

It's a tiny shift in mindset, in one sense. But I think it has some power. Just a thought.