New... and lost :(

Options
I have put on a lot of weight, in a relatively short time. I now weigh an embarrassing 225 lbs, and I hate the way I look and the way I feel. I keep starting 'day one' over and over and can't figure out a good way to contine. I can't find that drive, that motivation or possibly the support I need to continue. December 2009 I weighed between 160 and 170 lbs. Then a whole lot of stress came into my life, and the weight went up horribly. By April I was 190, and just keeps skyrocketing.
I don't know where to start, or what to do
I'm envious of those who can do it, but I sit on the sidelines and watch in awe
I'm desparate for help......

Replies

• rolliepollie087
    rolliepollie087 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    You need to start by setting small goals for yourself. If you can't do it all at once, it is okay. =) Work up to it.
    Maybe this week, your goal is going to be logging every single thing you put in your mouth into the food log on MFP.
    Week 2. Log like you did last week, and this week you're going to aim to drink half of your weight in ounces of water.
    Week 3. Throw some exercise in ;)

Just some examples for you. Start small and work up to big. =)

For motivation, take "Before" pictures. Check out the Success Stories in the forums. Watch The Biggest Loser online. It helps to see others who have pushed themselves, and will give you the oomph you need to realize you can push yourself, too. =)
  • Future_vision7
    Options
    Hi, you're in the right place for assistance!

Everyone has down days but you've made the first step and decided to do something about it! You need to keep your focus, and inputting what you eat and how much exercise that you do is the best thing i've ever done, and i've met some amazing people on her who are supportive and motivational.

There's plenty of low impact and easy exercises to start with, and then you can progress from thee. Find a few like minded souls on your journey and who knows what the possibilities are!

Good luck!

:drinker:
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    What She said above! Also, makes some friends on here! They have been wonderful motivation for me. Get into a challenge group. I hate to disappoint my team mates so that gets me moving on those days that I just don't want to exercise. You can do it!!!
  • shanmont
    shanmont Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    oh and yes!! Small goals are definitely the way to go.
  • phocid
    phocid Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    You sound overwhelmed. I like the advice of setting smaller goals for yourself. I honestly have not figured out the total amount of weight I need to lose. I know it's over 100 lbs, but I have no clue how much over. Instead, I choose to focus on just today. What can I do today, now, to be successful. It's kind of a Jedi approach to weight loss.

Maybe you're on to something, starting day one over and over. Every day is day one. You'll get there if you can focus on small, manageable chunks.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Realistic goals that are attainable is the best way to go.

When I was about 40 lbs overweight, for years I'd try to lose them all at once and would not be happy until I did, and I always failed. Because it was not realistic.

Realize weight loss is not instant, or fast, or easy. If it was, none of us would be fat and the diet industry would not make any money.

Unless you are morbidly obese, realistically you will only lose about 3-10 lbs a month. Starvation will only hamper you. It takes discipline, a lifestyle change, and hard work, but these are not things that you cannot accomplish.

Set incremental weight goals. Reach them. Move to the next. When you take a long road trip, you have several mini destinations along the way. This is like that.

My goal for the summer was 20 lbs lost. I achieved that. I have about another 20 to go. I realize that that won't happen in another season since I'm close to my end weight and it takes a lot of work to lose the last 20... so I've set a very difficult but attainable 15 lbs by the end of fall, with an overall goal of being under my goal weight before spring.

Best of luck to you.
  • sunshineshica
    Options
    You need to start by setting small goals for yourself. If you can't do it all at once, it is okay. =) Work up to it.
    Maybe this week, your goal is going to be logging every single thing you put in your mouth into the food log on MFP.
    Week 2. Log like you did last week, and this week you're going to aim to drink half of your weight in ounces of water.

For motivation, take "Before" pictures. Check out the Success Stories in the forums. Watch The Biggest Loser online. It helps to see others who have pushed themselves, and will give you the oomph you need to realize you can push yourself, too. =)

I agree..Start with small goals
  • Happyhappy352
    Options

Could not have said it better myself!!
  • tallp
    Options
    Hello and Welcome,

Firstly can I just say congratulations!!! You have taken the 1-2-3 steps. It gets easier from from here. Don't get me wrong though, there might be times when it gets harder but you will also be stronger mentally to fight it and carry on.

I lost some weight last year, was down to what I weighed when I was 18, Yippee and then stopped paying attention. Christmas came calling and didn't leave till March. By which time I had piled on all the weight again.

My lifestyle changed with a new job and all the distractions that go with it.

The thing that has gotten me fired up about losing it again and keeping it off for good the the life and health of those around me. I want to be around for my kids and to be able to play with them with out being too knackered. Also my Dad had a series of heart attacks and a stroke because of his weight and now he is stuck in a nursing home and not able to enjoy his grandkids.

You may not have that kind of situation around you but find something worth doing it for, even if it is to be a happier, healthier you.

You will falter along the way but remember to pick your self up and carry on. When I started back a few weeks ago, weekends would kill me what with eating out etc. just make healthy choices where possible and where not possible, enjoy the "treat"

It should be fun and not a drudgery otherwise you wont stick to it.

I think it is important to recognise that you want to change your lifestyle for a better one and not just dieting to lose weight.

I hope this has helped you and maybe we can spur each other on. I need to get down to 90kg! The last time I was that weight I was about 14!!!

All the very best and know this: You have taken the hardest steps already, it gets easier every day. It really does.

Cheers

Tallp
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I don't like The Biggest Loser. I think that gives people a false sense of hope - and reality is those people work out 10-12 hours a day, while only eating minimal calories. (This is why they have doctors on stand by ALL THE TIME!) I wouldn't use that for motivation!

But start with a small goal - like lose 10 pounds. Start cutting things from your diet that are bad (i.e. soda, sweets, etc) - not everyone can do it cold turkey!
    Exercise and eating right are huge. And after a couple weeks of working out - you'll have so much energy you won't know what to do with yourself. (this is coming from someone who spent 28 years basically being a couch potato, and I was at 303.4 on January 1 - now I'm at 228). I eat healthy - and I have become a gym rat.

Figure out what you're doing it for. Why do you want to lose weight. You have to do it for yourself or someone very important to you -i.e. your kids. also, the number on the scale is not as important as people make it out to be. it's mostly about how you feel -- Be sure to incorporate weight training into your work out as it helps you burn fat/calories faster. :)

Good luck - stick with it!
  • Lorilync
    Options
    Hi there and welcome!! I totally understand how you are feeling.....the good news is...you are in the right place!!! :) I agree with what everyone above has said. The hardest part is taking the first step...but you've done that...so now it's just keeping it up. Small goals are important and don't focus so much on the scale....pay attention to how your body is feeling. You can make lots of friends on here to help with the motivation!

Best of luck on your journey....just be POSITIVE!!!

-Lori :)
  • sk2775
    sk2775 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Welcome. You got some great advise above. As everyone has mentioned, take it one day at a time. Set yourself small goals and before you know it, you'll be meeting them one by one. I started on this journey 6 months ago, and just by logging in my food intake and get moving, I have been able to lose around 48 pounds thus far. What has kept me on this pace is logging in all the food that I eat, and moving. I introduced exercise very slowly....30 minute walk here and 30 minutes cardio there and before I knew it, I was working out 4-5 days a week.
    You can totally do this. We are all here for you for support. Feel free to add me :-)
  • rgarcia676
    Options
    i'm fairly new here....where can i find a challenge group!!?? good job new & lost for taking the first step!