Hitting 60 and just can't lose like I used to

Options
I have always been able to lose that 5 or 10 lbs, except for the past 3 years. I think I am on the right path with more exercise and now tracking my macros (tracking calories didnt work!). My issue is I am physically HUNGRY frequently and have never had this problem before, especially when eating high protein. I cant figure out a solution. All ideas are welcome!

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,605 Member
    Options
    Hi Marty,

If tracking calories didn't work, you might have been doing something wrong with tracking. How have you been tracking calories? It looks like you just joined MFP yesterday, so you must have been using some other tool. Do you use a digital food scale?

Getting macros lined up can help with the hunger/satiety, but it's calories that matter for fat loss & weight management.

Exercise can earn a few more calories, but it's often over-estimated. How are you tracking the calories you burn with exercise? What does a typical day/week look like with respect to food/exercise? Your food diary is not open.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,853 Member
    Options
    Different people are sated by different things: Experiment.

For some, it's protein, for some fats, for some volume (like lots of low calorie, high fiber, nutrient dense veggies). Even timing of foods or nutrients can matter for some people. In a few cases, people have individual foods that they find especially filling.

Use your food log, think about days or time periods when the hunger hits. What's the context? It can be the eating pattern, but it can also be stress, boredom, poor sleep quality/quantity, habit, etc. (If the root problem isn't fueling or nutrition, the best solution probably isn't food.)

Some types of exercise may trigger appetite, either the day of or sometimes the next day. Sometimes snacks or nutrient timing can moderate that.

Just for illustration, not because I think it'd work for you: I found I needed to get a solid breakfast with plenty of protein, then protein through the day. A small snack, usually protein-y, was useful if I started to get hungry well in advance of a planned meal. (I even kept small, tasty, but not too tempting shelf-stable snacks in my car so I could nip hunger in the bud before it got out of hand.) At some meal(s) sometime in the day, I need volume, usually a big (big!) portion of veggies. While I was losing - not so much now in maintenance - strength training spiked my appetite. A small sweet snack before, a small protein snack after - those seemed to help. (I don't care whether it's placebo effect, if it subjectively works. ;) )

Also, trying to cut calories too deeply for current body weight or energy demands can be a problem. Losing more gradually but manageably can sometimes get us to goal weight faster than a more extreme deficit that triggers periodic over-eating, multi-day breaks in healthy routine, or even giving up altogether. Ditto for restricting manageable-calorie treats that a person could moderate instead, if restricting results in over-consumption eventually.

It may not be true for you, but one thing people sometimes don't recognize when comparing weight loss to younger years is how much daily life activity patterns change over those years. When I was 20, I had a physical job, rode my bike and walked more because I didn't have a car, did active things to socialize. That gradually changed over the years. There can be factors in young adulthood, too: Chasing toddlers, remodeling or landscaping to make a nice home, DIY for projects or heavier home/yard work because of budget constraints, and more. Later life is often a "settle in and enjoy what we've earned" phase, with less of that stuff, more food-heavy or sedentary social activities.

That stuff can add up to hundreds of calories a day, no joke. But it can be somewhat reversible, with deliberate attention. There's a thread here where many MFP-ers share their ideas for adding movement to their day without requiring lots more time:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1

Not all those ideas work for everyone, but it's likely to find some in there that can work.

You can figure out a routine that works for you, looking at the all-round of eating, exercise, non-exercise activity, sleep, stress management and all. It's kind of like a fun science fair project for grown-ups, if you look at it that way . . . with a big payoff in quality of life at the end, potentially.

I used MFP to lose 50+ pounds at age 59-60, have been maintaining weight in a healthy range for 7+ years since, now 67 (after about 3 previous decades of overweight/obesity). It can work. Finding new, personalized, sustainable long term habits is key, IMO: Relatively happy routines we can continue almost on autopilot, permanently, to stay at a healthy weight.

Best wishes for long-term success!
  • MartyF4
    MartyF4 Posts: 12 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Thanks all! I have been exploring the WHY of eating for a while so mostly in tuned to that. I have horrible insomnia that I know if I solve that it will help immensly as I eat a little to relax me back to sleep. Noom required me to eat 1350 calories, I only weighed 108 to start (I am very petite) and my happy weight is 95 (yes that it within my BMI range). MFP lets me set the goal at 900 for a few days or weeks which I KNOW with lots of protein at each meal will help to just get my weight loss started (its working already). (yes, I eat a little more if I am feeling weak). I am retired so I dont sit at a desk all day but I do notice that I dont have the same energy for high intensity exercise like I used to although I am quite active with dogs, gym, pickleball etc. I dont walk as fast or hike as fast so yeah thay might be adding up. I read yesterday the HIIT a few times a week is really important for us midlife folks so trying to work that in.
  • MartyF4
    Options
    Based on your feedback I think I need to make little changes in my morning and evening routines, like 15 min on the exercise bike in the evening if the TV is on. I am a bit slow in the morning due to sleep med hangovers, maybe 10 min of yoga or a short walk a few days a week would help. Thanks again for your inspiration!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,853 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    MartyF4 wrote: »
    Thanks all! I have been exploring the WHY of eating for a while so mostly in tuned to that. I have horrible insomnia that I know if I solve that it will help immensly as I eat a little to relax me back to sleep. Noom required me to eat 1350 calories, I only weighed 108 to start (I am very petite) and my happy weight is 95 (yes that it within my BMI range). MFP lets me set the goal at 900 for a few days or weeks which I KNOW with lots of protein at each meal will help to just get my weight loss started (its working already). (yes, I eat a little more if I am feeling weak). I am retired so I dont sit at a desk all day but I do notice that I dont have the same energy for high intensity exercise like I used to although I am quite active with dogs, gym, pickleball etc. I dont walk as fast or hike as fast so yeah thay might be adding up. I read yesterday the HIIT a few times a week is really important for us midlife folks so trying to work that in.

I'd advise caution about HIIT. Yes, it has benefits, but there's a context that some of the more starry-eyed advocates don't go into.

A lot of things are called HIIT these days, and some of them claim benefits based on studies of cardiovascular HIIT (research done on stationary bikes, for example). The further the "HIIT" is from the exercise type studied, the iffier the claims.

A common modality these days that's often called HIIT is fast-paced circuit training, either with relatively light weights (so high reps, low weight), or with calisthenics/bodyweight exercises. Those can be reasonable modalities, with some caveats. If a person is new to exercise, or even just new to that particular type of exercise (lifting, calisthenics), these can be high risk. Strength exercise not only is more effective when done with good form, it's safer.

Combining those strength-training modalities with fast pace and high intensity has injury risk, from either or both of going so fast that good form isn't followed, or from fatiguing part way through so that good form isn't followed. Injuries can result.

You mention being retired, so I'm going to guess that you're more like 50 or 60-something than 20-something. I don't know about you, but for me (now 67), injury has a higher penalty than it did when I was younger: I heal slower (so more time off from training), and a de-train (lose conditioning) faster, so a break of any given length results in more fitness backsliding than it used to. I still do things, including some things that are quite physically challenging to me, but I'm more cautious about injury risk as a consequence.

In general, if someone is relatively new to exercise, or resuming after a long break, I'd suggest starting with more moderate intensity exercise, then adding higher intensity gradually as fitness improves. That intensity can be HIIT (of some suitable type) or simply shorter higher-intensity steady-state work. From the perspective of what I learned via coaching education (for on-water rowing), starting with moderate intensity, then adding higher intensity after getting base fitness in place, is a better way to build overall fitness. It's true that it doesn't get you to the reputed benefits of high intensity as quickly, though.

If new exercise is happening alongside a calorie deficit for fat loss, I'd also point out that one is adding two new physical stressors: Reduced fuel, and increased demand. That's OK, and yes those can be long-term beneficial stress, but I think it's useful to consider the total stress load and not go all out in both of those. Fatigue bleeds calorie burn out of daily life (non-exercise) activity, potentially, too, so combining those can backfire a bit. Too much cumulative stress - those plus any other physical/psychological stress in our lives - can also have health consequences, even if it's theoretically "good stress".

As an aside, I'd observe that elite athletes' training does not consist of all high intensity every workout, or generally even every other workout. In those kinds of training regimens, high intensity is more like a condiment or side dish, not a daily main meal. High intensity exercise is potentially time-efficient for its benefits, which can be real, but potentially those benefits are not as well-rounded from a fitness and health perspective, even for us regular folks. A mix of intensities has benefits, too. It's a nuanced issue, lots of research and debate ongoing, but IMO worth giving some thought. I feel like HIIT is overhyped and a little trendy in the blogosphere now, but that's just one li'l ol' lady's opinion.

Best wishes!

• MartyF4
    Options
    Thanks for the great feedback, yes 60 and have been very fit uo to 4 years ago. Hate losing a year to injury. Appreciate your thoughts and will apply!