Does weight lifting increase sex drive?

Options
I am noticing my libido is in high gear. Its kind of annoying lol

Replies

• tphughes2008
    tphughes2008 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Any type of exercise, that’s maintained 4 to 5 times a week will have significant impact on libido. I would definately say mine increased about 50% after I dedicated to 4 to 5 days a week .
  • joowelz
    joowelz Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Is there science behind that? Lol I work out 6 x a week.
  • I_AM_ISRAEL
    I_AM_ISRAEL Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Aerobic exercises increase blood flow to the genitals, which can, in turn, increase libido and improve erectile function. Cardio also helps reduce stress and anxiety, both of which are major libido killers. So if you're looking to get in the mood, a little sweat session may be just what you need for a better sex life.
  • LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Could it be you feel more confident and have more body positivity which leads to increased sexual desire?
  • joowelz
    joowelz Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Yes possibly
  • JaysFan82
    JaysFan82 Posts: 851 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    My sex drive has gone up significantly since I lost 155 pounds and got into fantastic shape. A combination of feeling better about myself and increased energy. Always ready to go now haha
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,089 Member
    Options
    Weightlifting increases testosterone, which occurs in both men and women (just at higher concentrations for men usually). So yes, there's scientific reasoning above what was mentioned above.

Now if I can only convince my wife to lift and get that same reaction, life would be grand...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Weightlifting increases testosterone, which occurs in both men and women (just at higher concentrations for men usually). So yes, there's scientific reasoning above what was mentioned above.

Now if I can only convince my wife to lift and get that same reaction, life would be grand...

This. And testosterone is sometimes administered for some to increase libido.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I can confirm it does! 😬
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I can confirm it does! 😬

@yirara out of curiosity- do you find your doms are lessened / you’re recovering quicker from exercise on testosterone? I was prescribed a v low dose as part of HRT but can’t take it as I still want to compete. Curious to know what difference it might make to my lifting though!
  • yirara
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I can confirm it does! 😬

@yirara out of curiosity- do you find your doms are lessened / you’re recovering quicker from exercise on testosterone? I was prescribed a v low dose as part of HRT but can’t take it as I still want to compete. Curious to know what difference it might make to my lifting though!

Can't say as I'm still not allowed to do strong training because my biceps might flip into my elbow. 😅 Still healing from surgery. And now I need to be even more careful
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I can confirm it does! 😬

Can't say as I'm still not allowed to do strong training because my biceps might flip into my elbow. 😅 Still healing from surgery. And now I need to be even more careful
    Ohh yes sorry - I forgot about your injury! Hope you’re doing okay?
  • yirara
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I can confirm it does! 😬

Ohh yes sorry - I forgot about your injury! Hope you’re doing okay?

No worries. In theory I can do everything again, including crawling into a cave on my tummy. But there's a risk of getting a popeye deformity if I do too much too soon. So... better be careful