Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What’s your pet hate at the gym?

1789101113»

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,887 Member
    Speaking of saunas, I remember a guy from a couple years ago who wore one of those sweat-suits, the ones which look like plastic bags to super-overheat the wearer, entice excessive sweating for weight loss, which he then wore inside the sauna. I'm not a medical doctor, but the very idea just seems so incredibly unsafe to one's health.
  • BO and farting and people who strut around showing off their body.
  • AllyCGR
    AllyCGR Posts: 5 Member
    I can’t stand the loitering and machine/equipment hogging! I get that you need to do multiple sets, but can you shorten the time between? 30 minutes at a machine is kind of rude, especially when it’s supposed to be a 30 minute circuit area.
    I’ve resorted to grabbing a few dumbbells and finding a corner to do my whole work out.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,002 Member
    people who sit on a machine and text or look at their phone in between sets. just do your workout! i am waiting my turn!
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    My last gym (thankfully now bulldozed) was built with women as an afterthought. The men's locker room was conveniently located with its own private pool area entry. The women's locker was placed at the end of a cold hallway where a trip to the pool involved walking across the main lobby. 😡
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,114 Member
    csplatt wrote: »
    people who sit on a machine and text or look at their phone in between sets. just do your workout! i am waiting my turn!

It is within your ability to ask that person if you can work in a set while they are resting. That eliminates your hate!
  • Rockmama1111
    Rockmama1111 Posts: 264 Member
    Loud talkers. They’re often the non-stop talkers. I rarely go to the gym, but there’s one in my building and it was raining and I needed Fitbit steps. This guy was in the weight room, like 30 feet and around a wall from my treadmill, just yammering on and on and on and on with his buddy. Shuuuuuuuuuuut uuuuuuuuuuup.

Also, this applies to everywhere that isn’t a gym too!
  • putotherpeoplefirst
    putotherpeoplefirst Posts: 31 Member
    Not wiping down the equipment and people who fart!
  • Borntexan43
    Borntexan43 Posts: 10 Member
    Saving equipment for your significant other for their next set...😡
  • TattedInStilettos
    TattedInStilettos Posts: 331 Member
    Ppl sitting on a machine not using it but they on thier on their phone... I don't understand why not go to the sitting area...
  • Doug_T
    Doug_T Posts: 148 Member
    Crowds
    Namely all the high school kids crowding around equipment and flexing all homo-erotically at themselves in the mirror. Ego lift one set for 2 reps then flex and make kissy faces at themselves for 10.
    Also new one, the people who jump in on your equipment when your taking your breath in between sets. I have no problem if someone wants to work in with me but don't just jump in.
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 657 Member
    edited April 2023
    I got a personal trainer roughly 3 months ago. Went from personal training to a very small group trainer, which was a different coach than the personal trainer at the same gym. She was absolutely lovely but when I had pain she would tell me, it’s all in the mind, just be positive. I was really surprised by this because I had a broken thumb, and previously had broken both wrists. It made me not want to complain and fight through the pain. I nearly cried by the end of the session.

I realized if I don’t feel safe where I train it’s not the place for me, and I stopped my membership. It’s disappointing but I can take what I learned and either continue on my own or go to another gym and communicate that issue immediately so I’m paired better next time.

So I guess my pet peeve- joining a gym and pay a lot of money for them to give you a really young trainer that doesn’t quite understand the difference between mental toughness and injury.