Age and metabolism

Options
Just wondering does your metabolism slow down the older you get?

I eat the same stuff I used to, and drink the same drinks I always used to, just now they make my belly grow and my bum bigger! lol

I used to be able to eat anything I wanted to and my weight was always 9 stone on the dot, for yeaaaaaars and years, even after having my first child, I went straight back down to 9 stone within a couple of weeks.

I'm not a health food junkie and never will be, nor will I ever be able to do away with my nights out on the tiles, I will never be able to give up cheese !! so how come all these things I used to be able to eat like there was no tomorrow now make my jeans shrink with just a glance!

Rhiannon x

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    YES!
  • skinnymoomoo
    skinnymoomoo Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Ah, I thought so...Thanks for clearing that up for me tehe :)
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Absolutely YES! And you are still young just wait till menopause kicks in! Something to look forward to. Lol
  • recesq
    recesq Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Yes it does, unfortunately.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Absolutely YES! And you are still young just wait till menopause kicks in! Something to look forward to. Lol

This! That's why I'm here. Gained 30 lbs now lost 33 lbs.
  • Maura5
    Options
    Yep, enjoy whatever metabolism you have left! Air sandwiches put weight on me now :-(
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Absolutely... but how young are you?
  • skinnymoomoo
    skinnymoomoo Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I'm 29. . . . . . . . time to cut down on the cheese scones and butter I think! :)
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    You need fewer calories each year. Once you hit your 30s you've got to work harder or cut back on food and drink.

But you've got children so you should be able to burn off a lot just running around after them.

Once they become teenagers (and menopause kicks in) then you'll probably need to keep active and a weather eye on the old calories.

I'm 46 and didn't start putting on serious weight until I hit my 30s and this past 15/16 years has been a real struggle. I'm now on a get Fit by 50 plan of action... just over three years to see if I can bin the belly and win back my waist. It's been 60days so far and I feel tonnes better even though I know I've still tonnes to lose.

Good luck and try not to worry too much... a positive attitude is one of the best tools in your kit! :flowerforyou:
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Just keep doing that 30 day shred and start lifting weights. You may not lose too many stones but you will see your body change for the better.

Night out on the tiles? That's a new English phrase for me! I assume it means at a dance club? :laugh:
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    29? Ah, you're still a puppy.......
    but yes, your body changes- not just w/ age, but due to other factors as well-
    stress being just ONE of them.

Never rule out your health though- get your blood work done on a regular basis-
    and keep track of your cholesterol levels and blood sugar- those can sneak up on you
    while you're not watching.

And if you're concerned, ask your Dr. to keep tabs on your thyroid...I've lost count how many people
    I've come across ( myself included)
    who found out YEARS later that their thyroid wasn't functioning properly-
    and THAT little bugger regulates A LOT in your body- metabolism being just ONE.

Just always good to know your numbers.
    Add it to the list of ongoing tests we women LOVE to get from top to bottom :wink: :laugh:
  • dieseljay74
    Options
    37 (almost) here and I've noticed I have to push harder than before!
  • tiggerbounce411
    tiggerbounce411 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, things I did to lose 80 pounds before didn't work, so here I am. Wait 10 more years and see how hard it is..lol. You can still eat your favorite scones and such, but see if they have a low fat version. If not, then cut them to once a week or so. I know..boo. I used to eat a bagel with low fat, whipped cream cheese every morning with my non-fat vanilla latte. Only took a cpl days to get used to the minor taste change, but all in all was still the same. Now? LOL..not so much.