Getting back after life's bumps

I won't get into things but have had to crawl over some hurdles the past few months.
I feel like I'm starting over from square 1. Any advice from those who've had to deal with life changing circumstances and recapturing the positive mindset you once had?

Thanks for any ideas.

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Welcome back! I wondered what happened.
  • Plasicage
    Plasicage Posts: 324 Member
    Don’t over think it, just start logging! It’s that simple. Even if you’re not in mindset yet, it will kick in.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    @snowflake 954 Thanks. Yeh, I had some health issues and then some mental issues because of the health issues. :/ But I'm kind of back. It feels very foreign to me now and I'm so far behind that I simply go somewhere else. :(
    @Plasicage I did start logging yesterday again and that's definitely a positive major step to getting back in control.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    I always feel strange when I come back after the summer and haven't logged on for 3 months. It all comes back. Just jump back in and you'll find that some will remember you and give support. Sometimes we just need all the support we can get. There's no shame there. How's your sister by the way? I remember you were spending time with her after her husband died.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    Welcome back, Reenie! It's good to see you here again.

Just start back into it by any route that seems to present the easiest path, then keep going. We untangle a snarl one knot at a time.

I haven't had any major major bumps since being on MFP, but there were some big life-changers along the way that derailed me in other ways. It may not work for all, but I'm a believer in "behave as if".

Grabbing the reins, and doing something helps change my mindset. Trying to keep it all on the inside, change my mindset in order to make the behavior change . . . that doesn't work very well for me. But maybe that's just me.

Shortly after I was widowed, I was talking to a co-worker whose young adult daughter had recently been killed in a fall from her horse. It was just normal casual chat between us, talking and social-smiling a little, not a deep subject. Another co-worker walked by and remarked on us looking so cheerful despite difficult circumstances. When he left the room, the other woman turned to me and said something like "If I'm going to pretend something while going through the motions, I might as well pretend to be happy."

That made a lot of sense to me. For me, "behaving as if" can eventually make the "as if" situation feel natural and be real. I hope that idea's not depressing to you.

Wishing you success on this round!
  • dblirondog
    dblirondog Posts: 123 Member
    I had a pacemaker installed right after Christmas. It was tough to figure out what my future looked like. But now I'm full on back to it. There is no future unless we create one. It's easy to get hung up on the challenges of life, but we're not the kind of people to listen to those excuses..... Otherwise we wouldn't be here. You've got this!
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 712 Member
    Hi- Welcome back! I thought about you while you were gone. I have had plenty of ups and downs and in a couple of them I have let the not being able to/not having the mind space to take care of myself get the best of me and that has not been great for my health or feelings of self worth. I’ve finally realized that no matter what it is am going through if I can make myself take that first small step towards caring about myself again I can do what it takes. The motivation is simply that no matter what s%&*! I am going through or have to do for others it will be easier to manage if I myself am even just a bit healthier. It is sometimes so hard to see how to make space and time for one’s own health and needs. I am constantly being yelled at by drs and family about this (but of course the family all rely on me and are the ones filling up my so called “free time” so it is a never ending spiral unless I personally take action for myself).

The good news - you have taken that first step. You are back. Now take the next and stay engaged and let the giving and getting of advice keep you solid in your routine. You know the steps. Don’t try to go too fast. Make the things you do enjoyable and sustainable.

Now that you have started logging fill your house with the healthy things you want to be eating, toss the junk, pull out your kitchen scale and make sure the logging is accurate. Come back and tell us how we can support you.

One thing though - while you take a positive attitude, make sure you get any professional help you might need to tackle the mental health challenges you are having. Sometimes as much as you want to be positive and fake it till you make it, there are underlying challenges you need to address with help that a personal wellness website full of well meaning people can’t fully do. Addressing underlying mental health challenges like depression etc. is really important to successful long term weight loss or any type of behavior management and can give you tools and routines to apply to find success. I haven’t tried them but I understand there are now on line talk therapists for particular types of challenges — maybe that is an option worth checking out short term for a kick start.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    You're back. That's all that matters right now. You know how to do this, just got to get back to it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png