Working nights???

Options
hi to everyone
i need a little help ive started working nights!!(lucky me)
my weight is going up and down and eating is all over the place too.
pls can some one given good advice
thank you

Replies

• zarzoo
    zarzoo Posts: 21
    Options
    hi to everyone
    i need a little help ive started working nights!!(lucky me)
    my weight is going up and down and eating is all over the place too.
    pls can some one given good advice
    thank you
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Pack healthy snacks and meals. Take water with you. Good luck,:flowerforyou:
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    Options
    I started this site just because of that. I put just over 10 lbs on in a year just because of night shifts. I had to re think my eating habits of thirty something years....it was interesting. I'm on maintenance now so....I eat day and night. I eat a meal and a snack on the night shift, one meal as soon as I get home at 7:30am, a snack when I wake up around 2:00pm to get me through to family dinner around 7-8pm, a snack with my coffee right before work around 9:30pm. I learned to find low calorie foods so I could eat more often during the day so my staple ice cream was out for a while. There's much more I could say, but keep us updated on your journey and we'll have lots of thoughts for you as you need it.

Anne
  • markfloyd
    markfloyd Posts: 69
    Options
    A good rule of thumb on a normal shift is to not eat after 7-8 PM. The average person will go to bed around 10. Apply that same principle to working nights. If you're the type that goes directly to bed upon completion of your shift, make sure your last meal is a few hours before you go to sleep.

I work night also, in KSA and I'm 8 hours ahead of EST. I hate night shift, but it places me almost on the same schedule from back home. I don't eat after 5AM unless it's a few Strawberries or an Apple. I also do 30 minutes of Cardio after work and I'm usually in bed by 9AM. My shift ends at 730AM.
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    Options
    A good rule of thumb on a normal shift is to not eat after 7-8 PM. The average person will go to bed around 10. Apply that same principle to working nights. If you're the type that goes directly to bed upon completion of your shift, make sure your last meal is a few hours before you go to sleep.

I work night also, in KSA and I'm 8 hours ahead of EST. I hate night shift, but it places me almost on the same schedule from back home. I don't eat after 5AM unless it's a few Strawberries or an Apple. I also do 30 minutes of Cardio after work and I'm usually in bed by 9AM. My shift ends at 730AM.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this theory, eating less than two hours before bed does not affect your weight loss achievment; however, can affect your quality of sleep due to having a full belly and lying down for bed. I eat right before bed and it did not affect my weight loss or maintenance at all, in fact it doesn't affect my sleep either.
  • jdickerson14
    Options
    I work nights 7pm to 7am. I eat a lunch around 3 pm and then try to eat my supper before midnight. Then I have breakfast around 5am...something light, usually oatmeal. When I started I would eat my supper in the middle of the night, like 2 am and then no breakfast. I was waking up in the afternoon starving and would overeat. I also drink lots of water while working.
  • zarzoo
    zarzoo Posts: 21
    Options
    Thank you to every one i will let you know how i get on
  • AuntyABBY24
    Options
    Hi, I work night shift in a respite unit for children with disabilities, 10pm til 8am. My main problem is that i dont do a regular shift pattern as i work on a rota basis so one week i might have 5 shifts together, and the next i might have my shifts split up!! Ive put on 2 stone since i started there nearly 3 years. I eat lots of crisps and biscuits and generally sugary food at work cos they give me a quick energy boost to keep me awake.

How do other people manage their diet? and what do you do about exercise. I'm usually knackered after work and i just go straight to bed.

I have access to a kitchen when at work and if there are no kids awake i'm able to cook but i probably wouldnt be able to cook anything major. Ive also just bought a slow cooker.

What I usually do is, if iv slept during the day, my 1st meal when i wake up is classed as breakfast (even if its 7pm) then later at work i miht have a sandwich but i rarely have a main meal towards the end of my shift (which would be tea) i'll have toast before i leave work and come home.

Any advise would be appreciated.