Hello MFP and Why I Am Here

Options
I am an engaged father of four plus two (almost blended family) and a grandfather to three. Over the past decade my weight has been in one pocket or another and though I had my best control over it during the latter half of 2008, I lost that control and my weight got to the highest it has ever been in my 40+ years of life. I had to do something to keep it from climbing any more.

And, so, here I am....

Have you ever been somewhere when a fat person walks into the room? Most everyone stops and stares. Some make comments to their friends. Some make a joke. Sadly, that person is immediately judged to be lazy, unintelligent, dirty, lacking self control, and disgusting. I don't want to be that person. I want to prove that room wrong.

A few years ago I was working as a IT Field Technician. My client's office was a cube farm with cubical walls about 6-feet high. I had finished my list of items and on my way to check in when I came up to the backside of the help desk cubical. I overheard the IT Director and the help desk attendant talking.

DIRECTOR: "Has Shawn finished today's list yet?"
ATTENDANT: "Not yet. As fat as he is, it will probably take the rest of the day. It is a wonder he can even walk."

They both laughed.

I was crushed. These were two guys that I, up until then, respected. I never saw them again. I never forgot what they said. I allowed myself to get lost in my emotions and comforted myself with food. It took about decade before I ever decided to do anything about it.

THAT WAS THEN THIS IS NOW

I know my weaknesses now. I have other outlets to turn to instead of the icebox. I have new goals:

1) I am getting married in 2012. I will be in much better shape than I am now when I say "I do".
2) I will see my grandchildren have children of their own
3) I hate taking medicine every day and so i will no longer have Type-II Diabetes or high cholesterol
4) Some of my greatest (solo) moments were when I ran as a teen and young adult. I will accomplish my life time goal of competing in a marathon before 2013 ends.

I am looking forward to reading your stories soon.

Best Wishes,
Shawn

Replies

• darlalu00
    darlalu00 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, but I'm glad to see your on the right track again. Congratulations and I wish you well in your journey! Feel free to add me
  • Stuartm1
    Stuartm1 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    You have the right intentions and if you stick to this and change your lifestyle there is no reason why you should not suceed. I look at photos of me in February this year when a walk in the Yorkshire Moors seriously made me realise how close I was to giving myself a heart attack and think never again. I was introduced to MFP by a good friend and 53 pounds off has made a terrific difference and although I have another few pounds to go I feel proud of myself and also realise how easy it is to eat what you want as long as you dont eat too much. Good Luck to you there are plenty of us in the same boat so take comfort in the fact it's not just you :smile:
  • denisegolden
    denisegolden Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    welcome shawn, yes, this is the perfect place to help you achieve the goals that you have. you will have several tools at your disposal and lots of support, feel free to add me.
    denise
  • shannonsnail
    shannonsnail Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Welcome Shawn!!
  • olso123
    olso123 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Welcome Shawn. You have come to the right place to get support and motivation to reach your goal. Good for you to want to get healthy for yourself and your new blended family. Feel free to add me if you like.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Man, I'm right there with you! I'm 308 lbs and work for as a civilian for the Air Force. I work around soldiers all day and to say I feel out of place and judged is an understatement. Going to the gym on my lunch break was intimidating initially. Nothing like being obese and showering with a bunch of 20-30 year old soldiers/pilots/military cops etc. I avoided the gym for years for that reason alone. But I finally channeled my inner biker 1% and said WTF.. I dont care. I'm going to take care of me and my family! I've been at it for 3 weeks now and getting some slow but decent progress. Keep at it man! Feel free to send me a friend request if you like, sounds like were in the same boat.
  • tcarnes72
    Options
    Hey Shawn Welcome! I hear your pain. I understand the desk and the lack of movement and trying to get to that place where you can move again. It hurts, it's mentally challenging, but most of all it's rewarding. Feel free to add me. We can all use a little Way to Go Man just for the small steps that are a success to us. This is a great place for that.
  • angimac
    angimac Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Hey, HHH (heretofore to be known as Triple H)... You forgot the part about where I gave you the web address here... :tongue:

MFP is one of the tools I attribute my 34 pounds (so far) to. Seeing what I eat and how it adds up. I never thought I ate much. I realize when you're eating the wrong things, it doesn't take much.

I was just thinking... I can't wait to see the pictures of us taken at your wedding... we can even compare them to the ones taken at Allen's...

On our own, we can do what we have to. If we've learned nothing else through the years, we've learned that together, there's nothing we can't accomplish.
  • shawnhurley
    shawnhurley Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks Angie. I never thought about the pictures part. You know I normally hide on the other side of the camera. i'd be interested in seeing out transformations as well. There is still a lot of time before we are there (close to a year or so).
  • prettyfitchick
    prettyfitchick Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    wow well im glad have list of goals to meet and with good postive friends im sure you can meet your goals feel free to add me as friend