Infidelity/weight loss/self-love help

Options
I'm really struggling right now. My husband told me 5 months ago that he noticed I was starting to have mobility issues and that he didn't want to be with someone who was so overweight. There were other criticisms too, but the shame I felt in regards to my weight prompted a weight loss spree. I've been doing well, I'm down 60 pounds since then, but he has also since revealed that he's fallen in love with my (now former) best friend. She's very thin, a runner, and I feel so betrayed and down on myself.

Even if I lose all the weight, my body will still show scars of what I've put it through. Already I can see the weird puckered skin of my lower abdomen from 2 pregnancies while obese. I'm on a razor's edge with my husband. He has not been able to reassure me that he's fully blocking his emotional affair partner/ex-friend and 100% committing to working through things with me, and until he does so I'm going to focus on myself and my kids. I got a therapist a few months ago and she's been fantastic with helping me develop strength and boundaries in regards to my husband (ex?)-so I don't feel that I need relationship advice. If he can't wake up and commit to me then we're done.

But, how do I love this body? I don't feel like I look any different, even after losing over 20% of my body weight. I feel a floppiness in some areas that were previously firm. Am I going to come out of this weight loss looking worse than when I was at my heaviest? How do I broach this topic with my therapist? How do you all find love for yourselves?

Replies

• Hiawassee88
    Hiawassee88 Posts: 35,754 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    There's no need to drop it like it's hot, for yourself or anyone else. Stop pushing yourself so hard. To hell with the shame, guilt, and everything else that's taken a big hit on your life. Gain some detachment. Stand back and see yourself as someone to be loved, and not a victim.

No one has to live in our body. No one gets that right. As bad as this is, forgiveness belongs to those who know how to love in the first place. That would be you. Pain is the precursor to change. Use this pain to make lasting changes, but don't push yourself to the brink. You'll only be digging yourself into a bigger hole. The system works.

Use MFP to track your data points. Ask questions and stay involved. Connected. You've got a plan for your emotional recovery. Connection is everything. You've got a hole inside, but new fitness friends can help you fill it.
  • avatiach
    avatiach Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    At my son’s college graduation one of the presenters said something I really liked and I wrote it down:
    « Stay strong
    Stay open to the world
    You are not alone. »

I think the advice about how to talk to your therapist (above) is really good and I would say—stay open to the world—to all you are learning through this journey.

Stay strong—you ARE strong—gove Yourself credit.

You are not alone—there is a community here, and you probably have one in real life, too.

Much luck!