Adding Exercise When You Are DONE With It.

Options
What does it mean to be DONE with exercise? For me, it is a feeling of aversion to exercise after years and years of it.
I've been maintaining for three months now by a lot of headwork on binge eating problems. Good on me. However, I understand and realize now it is time to add the fitness component. Mentally, I just can't. I used to exercise ( walk track, treadmill, or outdoors) regularly, as well as light free weights. Now? I think of exercise and just have such an aversion to the idea- maybe because I'm so busy with other areas of life I view it as a work chore. I have tachycardia, too, and ever sin e my diagnosis in 2021 have avoided it, since that's where I first noticed chest pain. Now I take medicine and am OK. Maybe I am scated to try again? Ultimately, I want to maintain muscle as I age, and also go down ten more pounds. Why is my mind so blocked on healthy activity.

Replies

• brendaanguiano2019
    brendaanguiano2019 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the typos. I am literate. 😅
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    And who said exercise is only walking or running? Try something new--yoga, tai chi, swimming, acqua gym, cycling, any type of group fitness class, .........and the list goes on. Doing exactly the same thing for years can be boring. Time to switch up.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me that you just haven't found an activity that you love doing. Exercise for the sake of exercise can turn it into a chore. Exercise with a goal 9other than weight loss) in mind can make it play again.

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,404 Member
    Options
    The above, plus the fact that you don't have to have times for exercise that are separate from the rest of your life. Going to the grocery store? Park in the furthest spot in the parking lot and walk. Cleaning the house? Turn on some music and add a little dancing while you're moving around dusting, vacuuming, etc. You're still doing what needs done, just with a little more movement along the way.
  • beabria
    beabria Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Agreed with the above that finding the right activity is key. I find elliptical machines to be soul-sucking, hate being the uncoordinated one in group fitness classes, but discovered that I love rowing and weightlifting (which doubles as cardio and resistance). Others love ellipticals and live for group classes - the point is that people like very different things and your experience will be very different in a physical activity that you enjoy than in one you don't. I also listen to an audiobook while I work out and only let myself listen to it while I'm doing physical activity. That could be something at the gym, walking around the neighborhood, or even doing house or yard work. But, often I get so into the book, that I start looking for something physical to do so that I'm "allowed" to continue listening. Honestly, I sometimes put it on and just pace around the house - but that simple pacing will often rack up a couple thousand steps!!!
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    The above, plus the fact that you don't have to have times for exercise that are separate from the rest of your life. Going to the grocery store? Park in the furthest spot in the parking lot and walk. Cleaning the house? Turn on some music and add a little dancing while you're moving around dusting, vacuuming, etc. You're still doing what needs done, just with a little more movement along the way.

Yes! This thread has some great suggestions for working more movement into your day.

I am not sure I agree with your premise that you *must* begin some kind of formal exercise right now. Maintenance is great, but a caloric deficit is primarily going to be achieved by limiting intake, not by exercise (though it can help cushion it depending on what you do.) If you really dislike the notion of exercise, why not keep your focus on food for another month or so and experiment with a slight deficit to begin working on those ten pounds?
  • Rockmama1111
    Rockmama1111 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I also have a hard time going to the gym. My Fitbit saves me week after week. The “competition” with myself (beating last week’s steps, earning more calories) keeps me going. I’ve also been competing in Step Bet challenges, so I HAVE to hit my step goal or I lose my wager.

I’ve explored every street within a mile of my home, every park, every nature area. I walk to see friends, or we get together for coffee hikes. I walk to do errands, even the grocery store. (Though I have overbought a couple of times and had to Uber home!) I live in Northern Illinois, so if it snows, I bundle up and go out just to stomp through the snow for a while. Good sunscreen, adequate outerwear, and an audiobook are all I need. And good walking shoes! (I use my Step Bet earnings to buy them.)

I know this is all about ME, and you are not me, BUT… keep looking for that activity that you will crave because it’s a part of you.

• Hiawassee88
    Hiawassee88 Posts: 35,754 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    What does it mean to be DONE with exercise? For me, it is a feeling of aversion to exercise after years and years of it.
    Why is my mind so blocked on healthy activity.

Doing things we don't want to do, all in the name of weight loss, is the quickest way to burnout. Start doing everything on your own terms.

Read through the success stories, and you will find commonalities. Lots of good information and strategies there. Winner, winner, winner. Each of them have found their own pathway to health and happiness. They've made it their own.

I keep a fairly tight ship to keep me from flying off the planet. We don't have trainers and gyms here. We have horse whisperers, and maybe a dog trainer. I don't whine, complain, kvetch because I refuse to let anything sux the joy out of my meals, exercise and my life.

This is my choice. All of them are my choices. If I'm not smiling on the inside, I'm not going to fake it for anyone on the outside. Don't let yourself be defined by others' choices. Make them your own and start today.