Do you pay?

Options
jamielarsen6jl
jamielarsen6jl Posts: 4 Member
edited March 2023 in Getting Started
I am thinking of services that you have to pay for and if it is worth it? Does it make a difference

Do you pay? 3 votes

Do you pay for services?
100% 3 votes
Is it worth it?
0% 0 votes
Does it make a difference in you diet?
0% 0 votes

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,872 Member
    Options
    What kind of services are you asking about: Premium MFP? Registered dietitian? Therapist? Personal trainer? Food delivery service? Something else?

I pay for lawn mowing services, plumbers, and that sort of thing when I need them. Have paid for coaching (rowing coaches), psychologist, massage, exercise classes, rowing club and gym membership, and stuff like that in the past, which are sort of related to the above, but not exactly. My insurance has covered situation-specific physical therapy and registered dietitian (cancer-related) in the past.

I can't recall having paid for anything directly related to weight loss, if that's the question.
  • jamielarsen6jl
    Options
    Well seeing that we are on my fitness pal how about start there. Do you pay for this app?
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Well seeing that we are on my fitness pal how about start there. Do you pay for this app?

No.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,022 Member
    Options
    Your poll doesn't make any sense. It asks people to vote for a question. No options to indicate answers.
  • kcassboren
    kcassboren Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    No
  • AnnPT77
    Options

I suppose I should've answered all the questions.

No, I don't pay for MFP. I've used premium at times, so it's familiar, but I went all through weight loss and the first several years of maintenance never having used premium, just free MFP.

It's worth the price I pay (free), and more. I'm grateful that the free version is so robust, TBH. Premium has some nice features, but it's very possible to get along without them, IMO.

MFP absolutely made a difference in my weight loss and maintenance. I'd lost close to half of my intended amount of weight, just rough-counting calories on paper and eyeballing portions, but loss was slowing and had gotten quite unpredictable. I joined MFP to log with more accuracy, and it has worked great for me.

I've paid for various services in the fitness realm, but that had nothing to do with weight loss for me. (I was very active while remaining overweight/obese for around a dozen years.) There's nothing else (services or products) that I can recall paying for exclusively for weight loss. On the products side, I had a food scale and a bodyweight scale - which were important during loss/maintenance - long before losing weight, and didn't get a fitness tracker until after.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,615 Member
    Options
    When I want to be served, I go to a restaurant. I have a server that serves me, and I tip them a decent amount, so I pay for service. When I want to eat out at a restaurant, I guess it's worth it to pay for the service instead of cooking at home.

Where I live, it's illegal to pump your own gasoline, so I indirectly pay for the service of having my vehicle fueled. I don't really have a choice, so I can't say whether it's worth it. I will say I totally don't mind not pumping fuel.

A water and wastewater utility provide water and sewer service to my home. I pay for that. I think some of what the utility does is wasteful, so I'm not sure it's worth what I pay, but I also am happy to have water delivered to my home at all hours and in any quantity I want, and I'm glad to be able to send my poop away to be treated elsewhere. I guess that's worth it.

I am planning a big river trip. We will pay a shuttle service to move our vehicles from the put-in to a safe storage location for the days we're on the river then take them to our take-out. We are paying for that service. As it turns out, we're even paying a service to rent rafts and have the trip outfitted this time instead of doing it for ourselves; we're paying a fair bit for that service for sure. Saves wear-and-tear on our personal rafts and gear, plus we get to row 18' boats! I think it's worth it this time. We did self-outfitted last time; the cost was probably less than half, but it was a lot of work. This time, yes it's worth it.

Are there any particular services you're interested in?

If you're asking if MFP Premium is worth it, I suggest doing the free 30-day trial and deciding for yourself. Pump your own gas if you want. Pay your water bill. And good luck getting a permit for a river trip.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    No. Why would I pay for something I'm perfectly capable of figuring out myself? (Well, to be fair, I pay for internet and I bought a computer, so technically I did *pay* for all the knowledge at my fingertips.)
  • jamielarsen6jl
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Well thanks for all you smart *kitten* answers to show me how the community here is. We are on the MFP community so why the *kitten* would I be talking about anything else besides dieting and weight loss but I guess that is hard for some to wrap your head around. I won't ask anymore questions thanks.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Well thanks for all you smart *kitten* answers to show me how the community here is. We are on the MFP community so why the *kitten* would I be talking about anything else besides dieting and weight loss but I guess that is hard for some to wrap your head around. I won't ask anymore questions thanks.

Uh....

Newly posting in community and post a "poll" that has answers that are not mutually exclusive with a rather broad question and you don't expect a little snark?

Come on. Have a little humor. Ask any questions you like. Ask broad questions that don't really have answers, and you shouldn't be surprised at non-answers.

My question to YOU is -- will you be paying for any services? Will it be MFP Premium? Will it be some other similar site? Will it just be something else? Do tell!

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,564 Member
    Options
    I don't pay for this app, no. I do pay for a running website (wish I could stop it temporarily as I'm injured) and for eatyourbooks because I have about 60 cookbooks and like to try new recipes from them. There you can search your own cookbooks for specific ingredients, course, type of meal and others. So if I have a kohlrabi and tomatoes left I can find out if I have a recipe that combines both, or just one and that is a main meal or a soup.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    @yirara oooh, someone else who likes kohlrabi!...I can never find it in the store though, only at specialty growers.

That "eat your cookbook" thing - there is a free site that does that reverse recipe lookup by ingredients, allrecipes.com

I'll just quietly leave now -
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,564 Member
    Options
    @cmriverside Actually, I'm not a big kohlrabi fan. there are such better tasting roots around, but unfortunately not here. I know allrecipes, but I can't search through my own cookbooks I think. That's why i pay for it. But hey, this, and the running website is the only subscription I have.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    @cmriverside Actually, I'm not a big kohlrabi fan. there are such better tasting roots around, but unfortunately not here. I know allrecipes, but I can't search through my own cookbooks I think. That's why i pay for it. But hey, this, and the running website is the only subscription I have.

Oh, I see. Well if you're gonna pay for a sub, one that helps with easier cooking seems to be a great idea.
  • avatiach
    avatiach Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    After a couple of years here I finally decided to try the 30 day trial for the premium version. I appreciate the no ads piece of premium, so I am keeping it.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    avatiach wrote: »
    After a couple of years here I finally decided to try the 30 day trial for the premium version. I appreciate the no ads piece of premium, so I am keeping it.

I really don't know why more people don't go that route - it's free, so try it to see if YOU like it instead of asking other people if it's worth it to THEM?

I'm glad it's working for you, and I hope you enjoy it. I have some travel coming up, so I'm probably going to wait until I return, although I might hit the free trial button to get me through March.