Ozempic or Contrave anyone?

Options
2»

Replies

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,519 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    I think you updated your rice estimate now? Yeah it looks much more reasonable. When I saw that earlier, I figured that's about double the calories from rice that I have in a meal, which sounded like a lot to me. I assumed maybe you just really like rice, or that's what comes with the meal and you weren't wasting it.
  • Rockmama1111
    Rockmama1111 Posts: 262 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    joowelz wrote: »
    Someone here said my rice calories are off. I did a google search and found this. Does this look accurate to people? If my rice calories have been over the actual amount all this time, this would be life changing for me. (I updated my diary today to reflect the lower calorie amount and am now on budget.)

p85i00y5i0dt.jpg

Yes, that’s a better choice for comparison. BUT… I would look in the database for the exact brand you have, measure it out dry to the gram on a food scale, then cook it with water as directed.

If you don’t have a food scale, use measuring cups and follow the recommended serving on the package. But note how your new example is a 150 gram serving and your original entry said 130 grams cooked but was incorrect? That can be a lot of calories! And no wonder it’s confusing. You aren’t alone.

It’s good to get the hang of spotting inconsistencies so you can make more accurate entries and then start to really hone in on where you get the most out of your calories.

• JustaNoob
    JustaNoob Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    By the way, i just logged a sample day of meals and my diary is public. For those accusing me of eating an unhealthy diet of junk food, please review and tell me which part is junk.

My problem is i am constantly hungry and my meals do not satiate my appetite. I always feel like i could eat a little bit more after each meal.

Nighttime is particularly menacing. I literally feel agitated and lightheaded until i have a snack like cheerios or peanut butter.

I know how frustrating it is to feel like you are eating healthy and less portions and not get anywhere. I've done that so many times! But the calorie amount that you consume is important and so easy to underestimate.

This year my two best friends and I decided to lose weight. We all took different approaches and just support each other's goals and provide accountability. I am the only one who has lost any weight and of the 3 of us, I have eaten the worst. My friends have cut out breads, sugar, all processed stuff, but they are still not in a calorie deficit. I took the approach that I would get better at logging and being in a calorie deficit. I hope to add more veggies and less processed things but I wanted to know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I was in a calorie deficit.

One of my friends started logging her healthy foods and realized that she had been eating way more than she though she was each day.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    Someone here said my rice calories are off. I did a google search and found this. Does this look accurate to people? If my rice calories have been over the actual amount all this time, this would be life changing for me. (I updated my diary today to reflect the lower calorie amount and am now on budget.)

p85i00y5i0dt.jpg

I didn't see your previous rice entry, but what you had before might have been the calories for raw rice rather than cooked.

Any entry that is cookable that was pulled from the USDA database will specify something like "raw" or "cooked."

Unfortunately, the green check marks in the MFP database are used for both USER-created entries and ADMIN-created entries that MFP pulled from the USDA database. A green check mark for USER-created entries just means enough people have upvoted the entry - it is not necessarily correct.

To find ADMIN entries for whole foods, I get the syntax from the USDA database and paste that into MFP. All ADMIN entries from the USDA will have weights as an option BUT there is a glitch whereby sometimes 1g is the option but the values are actually for 100g. This is pretty easy to spot though, as when added the calories are 100x more than is reasonable.

https://fdc.nal.usda.gov

Use the “SR Legacy” tab - that is what MFP used to pull in entries.

Note: any MFP entry that includes "USDA" was USER entered.

For packaged foods, I verify the label against what I find in MFP. (Alas, you cannot just scan with your phone and assume what you get is correct.)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,654 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    My original comment re: rice being off, suggested you look at Food Data Central.

Some more interesting links: https://www.nal.usda.gov/human-nutrition-and-food-safety/food-composition
    (The above USDA page also links to the Canadian Nutrient file)

Do you want to download the complete SR Legacy Database for use at home? https://data.nal.usda.gov/dataset/composition-foods-raw-processed-prepared-usda-national-nutrient-database-standard-reference-release-28-0

• Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    How is your progress lately?

If you make your diary public, someone may be able to suggest changes for foods that are more satiating. More protein, for a start.

I have and people have commented before. It's easier to say eat more protein than to actually do it. I am not a meat lover like some people. I like carbs. The idea of a giant piece of chicken is sickening to me, but I can easily eat two bowls of rice or 3 pieces of bread.

Wegovy is the brand under which Ozempic is marketed as a weight loss tool. We have no shortages in Canada and diabetics have plenty of other options to choose from, such as Metformin. My dad was a diabetic.
    using drugs to compensate for a poor diet is not healthy or advised.

Metformin isn't recommended for all t2 diabetics, and it doesn't do what Ozempic does. Metformin slows the release of insulin, while Ozempic keeps the gut from emptying, so you're fuller for longer. It can also cause diarrhoea, acid reflux, belching and other gut-related issues, and it's not recommended for people with a history of thyroid cancer.

While there may not be a shortage of Ozempic in some countries, there is a worldwide shortage because of non-diabetics buying up supplies to use it for weight loss, which is why I can't come off my therapeutic dose, because the stocks where I am aren't readily available anymore.

There's nothing wrong with using semaglutide or other medications for weight loss, if you're doing it under medical supervision. Semaglutide is a naturally occurring substance and reduces the risk of heart disease and strokes.

It's not helpful to just state that weight loss drugs are unhealthy. They are useful for people who have struggled to lose weight for a long time. And not all weight loss medications are suitable for everyone. People with thyroid issues can't take weight loss drugs containing certain substances, for instance.

For anyone considering using Ozempic or its alternative, it's best to consult your healthcare provider to see if it may help you, and to explore other options that might suit you better. Then there are things like SlimSip, BodyPow and SlimFast that might be helpful without having to resort to injectables like Ozempic or other medical alternatives.

• reginakarlcatz
    reginakarlcatz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    One of the reasons people lose weight on these drugs is due to the side effects of feeling nauseous constantly.

I've added protein powder and soy milk to my plan to obtain enough protein for the day to not feel significant, painful cravings. I still feel a bit hungry, but not overwhelming.

Thanks for the tip. The thing about protein powder is it doesnt fill me up like a food with volume you can actually chew. Re: soy milk - thats interesting. Do you find it more filling than almond or cow’s milk? I drink almond milk because its so much lower in calories. I dont have a lot of calories to work with.

So, I use soy milk as regular milk gives me a tummy ache and has more protein than almond milk. I guess I could use lactaid milk, but I'm used to soy milk. The whey protein also gives me a small tummy ache, but it's not horrible. I try to get 30% of my calories in protein. It's a struggle for me to get enough.