hands swelling up?

I did a 10mile walk with my dog today roughly 12minute mile so quite fast paced and both up and down hill but mostly on a hard surface (not sure if all this relevant ha) i drank about 500ml of water sipped throughout. Weather sunny but not hot.

So what im wondering is why my hands have swollen up loads!? Is it water retention from not drinking enough? Sodium?

Also does this happen to anyone else and how long till it goes down - quite tight and uncomfortable.

Thanks in advance

MissJ

Replies

• moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    My hands do that sometimes. Have you tried washing them? I find it stimulates the circulation to get rid of the swelling, or something.
  • It happens to me too. Only when I walk outside. I don't know why but when I stop it goes away
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    It's just gravity and your arms swinging. I always get swollen hands when I walk or run for more than an hour and can't wear rings because of it. My friends and I ALL got puffy hands when we did a charity 15K walk together.

Every 30 minutes or so I stretch my arms up then walk with them behind my head for a bit and try to make it look casual for curious passers by!
  • sykin
    sykin Posts: 1,676 Member
    My hands swell no matter WHAT kind of exercise I do. I'm not sure why - I assume it's the increase in blood flow. Mine usually goes away within an hour or two :)
  • Thanks guys :)
  • ya if you let your arms hang down while your walking for a distance like that they will swell...mine always have ! I just try to bend my elbows so my hands arent hanging down by my side and it stops that from happening !! I agree with moushtie too..warm water and a vigorous rub will help the swelling !!
  • I've noticed this when i'm doing long walks, usually anything above 12 miles and i think it's due to not drinking enough. This happened a few times but on the day I completed the marathon (walking, no running!) i'd been training for I was fine. The only difference was I was picking up water at each of the stops rather than making my one bottle lasting me the whole way. Maybe try taking two bottles next time you do the route. I've never had the same problem with any other type of exercise. Having a couple of glasses of water should help them go down, usually within an hour or two