Deflated

Options
Hey all. I'm needing help, motivation, inspiration. I'm a new dad for the second time, my diet and exercise is non existent. I've previously gone from 20st (280 pounds) to 11st (154 pounds) this was dine crash dieting, totally unhealthy and ofcourse the weight piled back on.

I am currently 251 days sober, and I have a half marathon coming up in October. I want to be able to finish this without stopping.

I want to be healthy enough to run around after my kids. I find it hard to diet and keep dieting with so much temptation, I guess I'm lazy and full of excuses. But I want this time to my final time. Height is 5 foot 8 (172cm)

Weight 16 stone 6 (104kg,230 pounds)

I've got my fitness pal, but no exercise equipment. I plan on running

I need a starting point, some help and a plan. Can anyone help please?

Replies

• AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    I will second @penguinmama87 says about walking with the children. Spring is around the corner in the U.S. and stroller walks with the newborn and older sibling are win/win/win. Fresh air is so good for the soul, and you're moving. Plus mom gets a break, which is win #4.

Give yourself some grace, OP, with transitioning to a whole new family landscape. Once you get your footing, oh about 18 years from now (kidding), you can begin to focus on your exercise/diet. In the meantime, keep things very simple. It may have a cascading effect. All the best!
  • pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,327 Member
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Check into your local YMCA, mine offers free child watch for up to 2 hours a day. Port sure that saved my sanity when my kids were younger. I started going there when the kids were 3month & 2.5 yo. There was some adjustment at first, the kids would cry and my workout would get cut short, but that didn’t last. Eventually, I started teaching classes there and staying for 2 hours nearly every day. It’s helped me physically and mentally. It was also a good example for the kids to see an active healthy mom. It was totally worth the price of the gym membership.

My kids are now 17 & 20. I survived and even thrived when they were young. As they got older they had their own activities, and I’d often go for a run or ride while they practiced. Hubby was also a key player in this. We both worked out, so occasionally we’d meet at the Y and trade parenting duty. He’d workout early in the evening and I’d keep the kids, then I’d show up at the Y and he’d take the kids home.

Good Luck & congrats on the sobriety!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Check into your local YMCA, mine offers free child watch for up to 2 hours a day. Port sure that saved my sanity when my kids were younger. I started going there when the kids were 3month & 2.5 yo. There was some adjustment at first, the kids would cry and my workout would get cut short, but that didn’t last. Eventually, I started teaching classes there and staying for 2 hours nearly every day. It’s helped me physically and mentally. It was also a good example for the kids to see an active healthy mom. It was totally worth the price of the gym membership.

My kids are now 17 & 20. I survived and even thrived when they were young. As they got older they had their own activities, and I’d often go for a run or ride while they practiced. Hubby was also a key player in this. We both worked out, so occasionally we’d meet at the Y and trade parenting duty. He’d workout early in the evening and I’d keep the kids, then I’d show up at the Y and he’d take the kids home.

I don't have kids, but have belonged to YMCAs in different states, and definitely recommend them for people with kids. Mine were super kid friendly.

I'd be surprised if free child care were still a thing though :lol:
  • pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,327 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I don't have kids, but have belonged to YMCAs in different states, and definitely recommend them for people with kids. Mine were super kid friendly.

My Y still offers free child watch while you work out. Of course, I live in a small town.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

My Y still offers free child watch while you work out. Of course, I live in a small town.
    I teach at a Y, too! As far as I know, child watch is included with membership, but for some people who take my classes, staffing can be spotty. It’s not an everyday thing; just some days they setup thinking they can workout with me but then get called out and have to leave. My location is very strict on certain policies such as two adults must be present the whole time to watch the children etc etc. Some of those members therefore prefer getting their workout in the early AM, I guess when their partner can watch the kids.

Hopefully other local gyms have similar offerings.
  • StaciInGa
    StaciInGa Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this was covered - but it would be wise to make sure you have good shoes. Good for you, based on your foot/arch structure and how your foot plants onto the ground when you walk/run. Find a local running store to get fitted. And consider getting socks from there also. Training with bad shoes can lead to pain and injury.

Beyond that, where are you at now in terms of activity? Have you already been walking/running? If not start with the couch 2 5k, then continue onto the 10k add-on. THere may be a half marathon add on. If not, after you are in 10k-form you can simply start adding time/distance each week to your long run day - while running 2-3 other days at 2-4 miles each.

And though you have a goal of weight loss, keep in mind that training for a half marathon does consume energy for your training runs each week. Don't cut your calories too low or your training will likely suffer. You may be going for 2 pounds per week now, but once you reach a point where you're doing more running than walking you may want to shift to a 1 pound per week loss rate.
  • StaciInGa
    edited March 2023
    Options
    ps-I just finished a half marathon on Saturday (mostly walking) in 3 hours, 16 minutes and change and my next goal is to get back into run form and be able to run 45-60 minutes a few times a week. I have not put my next half marathon on my calendar but there are a couple in October within a 3-6 hour drive... At my best a few years ago, I ran the first 10 miles of a half marathon. Then I stopped. Big regret!
  • GrumpyDumpty
    GrumpyDumpty Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    into my third week, ive purchased a "gymproluxe" set, apparently all the rage on tiktok, as i wfh and with 3 kids under 5, i find it tough finding any time to work out, so im hoping to use this bit of kit whilst im at my desk,

how does anyone get steps and excerise in ? mad
  • StaciInGa
    Options
    I work an office job - and I go for a 30-45 minute walk midday most days. Either outside, or back & forth in a hallway in an office building. I sometimes also get on the treadmill at home in the evenings, or go for a walk in my neighborhood at night.

Are you able to get a break at some point in your day from your spouse or other family to look after the kids while you go for a walk? Or have a stroller to take them with you? I realize that can be challenging with 3. Or is there a contained playground nearby where they can play and you can walk laps around the perimeter?
    into my third week, ive purchased a "gymproluxe" set, apparently all the rage on tiktok, as i wfh and with 3 kids under 5, i find it tough finding any time to work out, so im hoping to use this bit of kit whilst im at my desk,

• MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    @GrumpyDumpty Please keep in mind how much you have lost and kept off, very impressive. You’re doing great!
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options

My tracker doesn't always get the steps because my hands are pushing the stroller, but really, walking with the kids is great. I use a sit and stand stroller where the infant seat can click into the front, and the next two small children can take turns in the back portion. Am I really fast? No. But that's ok. @StaciInGa had a really good idea about going to the playground.

I do my formal working out when my children are sleeping in the morning. That works for me as a morning person. My husband is more of a night owl and he gets time to himself after the kids (and later I) go to bed. My children regularly nap in the afternoons until they are five or so (and have enforced quiet time after that.) You could time a break to get some workout time in then. Switching off with mom would also help and give her a regular break too.

I asked in my first reply about support - do you have friends or family nearby who can help out with anything?
  • GrumpyDumpty
    Options

My tracker doesn't always get the steps because my hands are pushing the stroller, but really, walking with the kids is great. I use a sit and stand stroller where the infant seat can click into the front, and the next two small children can take turns in the back portion. Am I really fast? No. But that's ok. @StaciInGa had a really good idea about going to the playground.

I do my formal working out when my children are sleeping in the morning. That works for me as a morning person. My husband is more of a night owl and he gets time to himself after the kids (and later I) go to bed. My children regularly nap in the afternoons until they are five or so (and have enforced quiet time after that.) You could time a break to get some workout time in then. Switching off with mom would also help and give her a regular break too.

I asked in my first reply about support - do you have friends or family nearby who can help out with anything?

Yes i have my girlfriend who is my chief cheerleader, she has baby if i need to go run, having 3 under 5 is a workout in itself
  • GrumpyDumpty
    edited March 2023
    Options
    past week ive tried religiously to get over 10k steps, we had a caravan holiday to celebrate both our kids birthdays, THREE KIDS UNDER FIVE

Diet went a little out of the window, however with the increase in the walking im hoping it will even out,

planning on getting out and going for a run soon

Follow my journey on my new flash website www.grumpydumpty.com

• StaciInGa
    edited March 2023
    Options
    About the 3 under 5 bit: it is a lot of work now, but there will come a time when they become a bit more self sufficient. You will get thru this phase! My youngest daughter is 21, my older daughter just turned 23 and my son turns 25 soon. Just over 20 years ago, I was in a head on collision/car accident and broke my legs. Could not even be left home alone w/ the kids for months after as I would not have been able to get them and myself out of the house in the event of an emergency. Was very stressful then, but a mere memory now!
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    StaciInGa wrote: »
    About the 3 under 5 bit: it is a lot of work now, but there will come a time when they become a bit more self sufficient. You will get thru this phase! My youngest daughter is 21, my older daughter just turned 23 and my son turns 25 soon. Just over 20 years ago, I was in a head on collision/car accident and broke my legs. Could not even be left home alone w/ the kids for months after as I would not have been able to get them and myself out of the house in the event of an emergency. Was very stressful then, but a mere memory now!

I think three little kids was absolutely the hardest. When my third was born, my oldest was 4.5.

My youngest three are now 5, 2.5, and almost 9 months, but I also have three older kids and it's totally different because the big three can do a lot of things on their own and help out with the littles. I can go to the store by myself sometimes! I'm also on the other side of that steep learning curve (but a newbie to the teenage years which are looming!)

I definitely don't intend any of my advice to be critical - just the kinds of things I've learned through experience or wished I'd thought of back then. I didn't get serious about my own weight loss until I had five kids, so OP, you are way ahead of me! It is hard, and you're doing great. It might not be as quick as you want and that's frustrating! But you really are doing great. :)