I fear...

Options
...that I may be approaching the dreaded plateau.

And I really don't wanna do that!

Now, I have approximately 12.5 pounds left to lose and I know that I naturally think "the faster, the better", but in all honesty, Christmas is my ultimate goal - which a think is very achievable if I put my mind to it!

I currently have my goals set to be losing 2 lbs a week, but I don't seem to be getting anywhere anymore.

12.5 lbs leads me perfectly up to Christmas at about 1 lb per week.

So do we think that if I change my goal settings to lose just 1lb a week, I might start noticing some weightloss again and avoid the dreaded "P" word?!

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated! :-)

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!! that means 12 weeks till christmas!!!!

sorry, that wasnt helpful....

Yes drop down to 1lb a week, maybe mix up your exercise routine, try something new for a change?! and eat cake, it'll boost your meabolism, and its friday afternoon!! (just oen smallish peice!) xx
  • cspence2270
    cspence2270 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I want cake too!!!!!!!!!!! :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:
  • Greenwellj
    Options
    Add a protein shake and cut out all sugar and very limited whole grains. I do 2 shakes a day and one healthy meal, mostly of raw foods.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options

Now, I have approximately 12.5 pounds left to lose and I know that I naturally think "the faster, the better", but in all honesty, Christmas is my ultimate goal - which a think is very achievable if I put my mind to it!

I currently have my goals set to be losing 2 lbs a week, but I don't seem to be getting anywhere anymore.

So do we think that if I change my goal settings to lose just 1lb a week, I might start noticing some weightloss again and avoid the dreaded "P" word?!

You're down to a weight where it's hard to lose more. 2 lbs a week isn't really realistic for most people at your size. It's attainable, but you really have to be working out hard and eating the proper foods and not starving yourself.
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    ...SHARKS.. and I don't even live by an ocean..it's totally irrational, I know..:noway:
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

with less than 15 lbs to go it is best to have your goal set at 0.5lbs/week (1lbs is a good goal for those with 15-40 to go, 1.5 lbs from 40-75, 2 lbs 75+ lbs to lose) If your deficit is too large and you don't have much to lose you risk burning a large % of lean muscle instead of fat, which means you may hit you weight loss goal quicker but you would be a higher % Body fat than if you got there slower.
  • sryan8408
    Options
    I love the 17 day diet. It is proven to keep you from your dreaded plateau. Its 4 cycles at 17 days a peice. Last cycle is maitenance. I bet you can make your goal weight in record time with this. It takes a lot of determination and commitment but it works. I started to help begin my weight loss with around 25 lbs to lose. First week I lost 5lbs. Its less depending on how much you have to losed but its amazing and you can repeat it depending if you didn't get that weight loss you needed.
  • SlimSadieG
    SlimSadieG Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    with less than 15 lbs to go it is best to have your goal set at 0.5lbs/week (1lbs is a good goal for those with 15-40 to go, 1.5 lbs from 40-75, 2 lbs 75+ lbs to lose) If your deficit is too large and you don't have much to lose you risk burning a large % of lean muscle instead of fat, which means you may hit you weight loss goal quicker but you would be a higher % Body fat than if you got there slower.

This is very interesting...
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    My trainers at teh gym say the best way to avoid/ work through a plateau is to change your exercise routine adn very your foods. If you body gets to used to somthing it will adapt. Try spinning or zumba if you never have! or haven't in awhile. My plateau ended when I changed up my routine.
  • ElbieBubb
    Options
    I had the same issue......

May sound strange but I cancelled my gym membership and started running;
    Different distances at different speeds four days a week
    One day 6 1km runs as fast as possible with a 1.45minutes rest between, a 5km run, a fartlek session and a longer slower run

Instead of the gym I joined British Military Fitness and do a "Boot Camp" circuit once a week not only started losing again but lost inches of my waist and revised my target downwards

Dont give up !!
  • gracibelle
    Options
    change it up! I know I must sound hypocritical, because I eat exactly the same amount every day, but for real, your metabolism will be kicked into gear if you eat 1200, 1400, 1600, 1800, 1600, 1400, 1200 for a week. That's NET though! Don't go below 1200 net! (Again, hypocritical... sorry.) And if you change up your workouts (swim, bike, run, elliptical, dancing, hooping, weights, etc.) You'll use different muscles, and your body will lose weight more rapidly.
    Cinnamon is also supposed to boost metabolism...
  • chickenpoppa
    chickenpoppa Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I still have 11.3 kg (24.9 pounds) to lose and ( i weigh myself every friday) i had my goal set to losing 2 pounds a week and last friday (not yesterday) changed it to 1 pound a week because i was only losing 0.2-0.9 pounds a week. Yesterday i lost 1.5 pounds:-) its only been one week so i am just going to see what happens.

Good luck:-)