What to do now....

Options
I started working out only 2 weeks ago, I was getting pretty regular with the workouts, doing 2 - 4 miles on the treadmill daily. That was a huge change in my daily routine and I'm no spring chicken, here, I'm 42 next month. I was consuming mostly fruits & veggies, cooked & raw. I purchased a juicer, been having fun with that too. Wednesday, I got up early, did 1.5 miles on the treadmill, showered & got ready for work, worked 12.5 hours, came home, changed clothes and found a lump right behind my left ankle. Concerned it could be a blood clot, I headed for the ER because there was no way in the world I could sleep worrying about that, anyway, the MD said it was tendinitis and to stop working out. WHAT? I was just getting started, on a roll and was completely motivated to continue. He said until I see my PCP, I had to stop and let my tendon heal. Ok, I see my PCP on the 5th of Oct. but what do I do in the meantime? I don't want to just abruptly halt my new routine. I want to keep burning calories and I'm not sure how I can do it without joining a gym (money I don't really have) or walking on my hands (which is completely out of the question). I can't do too many sit-ups because, well, I'd just get tired & stop...but walking was more convenient! What do I do? and how do I stay focused in doing something else? I'm ADHD without the H. :( So I found this "myfitnesspal" and I started logging everything the last two days, its pretty cool and I know I can keep with it since its on my phone, but will just keeping track of my calories without burning anything off work and how long will that take me?

any & all positive input will be greatly appreciated! :)
KatieRRT

Replies

• Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,183 Member
    Options
    Please take your doctor's advice. You don't want to suffer more serious consequences, and 80% of weight loss is about how you eat, anyway. That is the best way to take care of yourself, AT THIS time! Oct. 5 is not far away, either, so hang in there! :smile:
  • katierrt
    katierrt Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Well, the last 2 days, I've stayed below 1500 calories, so I think that's a good start at it, but I didn't realize just how many calories I was consuming everyday, what I should have done was log a normal day of my bad eating habits before I changed them, that way I would have a baseline and know how out of control I really was...Thanks for the comment, I really do appreciate it! :)
  • shabydonner
    shabydonner Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I understand walking being the workout of choice, trust me, even at 25, but over 300 pounds I find most standard workouts simply to much. I've tried some videos and stuff and I always end up feeling dizzy or like my legs are going to turn to noodles.

My suggestion would be to focus on limberness and strength training over the next couple of weeks. Some seated stretching (you may want to hold off on anything that would stretch you tendons for now though) will keep the strain off your feet, legs. and ankle but help limber you up more which can help in many areas of exercise, including improving the effectiveness of the work out. I have been trying to do a lot more strength training lately. I am having to start slow because even 15 minutes leave my arms feeling like lead but it is really a good work out as I am sweating up a storm by the time I'm done. If you don't have any dumbbells you can use cans of fruits or veggies. Also, though I haven't tried them, resistance bands are supposed to be pretty good and I have seen them for 20 dollars or less.

In general there are lots of ways to work out besides walking and sit ups. If you keep up the walking and do further damage you run the risk of not being able to walk anymore anyway, Could be you just need to do some strength building in your ankles before you go back to what you were doing. Better to be safe, let it rest, and see what your doc says, in the mean time take the chance to build you endurance and strength in other areas.
  • crb1988
    crb1988 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I would take your doctor's advice and rest. And use this time to focus on the foods, rather than the exercise. When you go back, ask your doctor for exercise advice.
  • katierrt
    katierrt Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'm going to stay down, but I'm not going to like it! :) But I like the idea of getting my food intake in order! I think I will concentrate in that area. That's a big area and if I will ever feel defeated, it will be there... I so love food, but if I don't stop, I know where it will take me.