Hyper Thyroid Anyone??

Options
Does anyone have a hyperthyroid? I was recently diagnosed with one and have since been on medication. And in the past 2 months have GAINED about 10 lbs. Which doesn't make me want to take my medication............

Replies

• inotnew
    inotnew Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have hypo thyroid, not hyper. Mine is slower but not by a lot. dry skin and a lot of sleeping is associated with it.
  • lrhodes49
    lrhodes49 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have had a thyroid problem for 4 years and it took about 1 year to get my medication right. The medication works as soon as they get it adjusted to what you need. Feel free to friend me if you like.

Now that the medication is working it's just me not doing what I know I need to do (eating right and excerising) that is keeping me from my goal.

I joined here on 9/16 and I have already lost 2lbs. Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • LovingMe19
    LovingMe19 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    My friend does, look her up, SlwNStdy is her username.
  • kimiel51
    kimiel51 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I had to be kept hyperthyroid at one point after cancer surgery and found that I gained weight being hyper vs. hypo. When I was put on a more normal level, I found that it was easeir to lose weight. Please take your medication! You will feel much better taking it!
  • rachemn
    rachemn Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I have the same. I've been on methimazole for the last year and it also made me put on weight and I have had a real hard time taking it off. However, without the meds, my heart starts racing and skipping beats so keep taking the medication. The thyroid is scary because it affects almost every part of your body and can really mess you up.

I've had problems with hair loss too from it. :p
  • SarahMason08
    Options
    Hi There! I've been dealing with it for the last 8 years. It's tough. It's hard to keep a steady weight. My weight has gone from 165 to 105 and back (currently back). My best suggestion is to eat a healthy diet, and maintain exercise. On top of that, try finding what triggers your thyroid to act up. For me it's stimulants and processed foods. I have found that eating gluten "aware" (It's tough to go gluten free), eating more of an anti-inflammatory diet. And keeping lemon balm extract around at all times to help with the high heart rate spikes is very helpful. I've done a lot of research and visited a holistic doctor to avoid the awful meds. It took a while though. Good Luck!
  • FitMissVicky
    FitMissVicky Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have graves' disease and have had a couple of relapses after my initial treatment for hyperthyroidism. I also gained weight, not simply because of the treatment but because of the increased appetite you get and I think my metabolism was just plain wonky. Most of the weight I put on before the diagnosis.

Please take your meds. That one gland can affect so many different parts of your body and leaving it unchecked can have very dangerous results. Weight is only one component and as a side effect of the illness or treatment it is the least of your worries. Once you get your levels back to normal you will find it easier to lose weight. In the meantime, take your meds, track your calories, eat healthy and get lots of exercise (providing your muscles allow you - I had extreme muscle weakness when I had my last relapse and it sucked). Eat lots of iodine-rich food like broccoli and kale. Drink lots of water. You'll feel a lot better.
  • SarahMason08
    Options
    Hi There! Try lemon balm extract when your heart rate spikes, also try paying attention to what causes your heart rate to spike (sometimes it's nothing, I know). And do your research. I've been off Methimazole for a year now (this time). And have been doing really well. Now I'm just working on getting the weight off. Good Luck! :smile:
    I have the same. I've been on methimazole for the last year and it also made me put on weight and I have had a real hard time taking it off. However, without the meds, my heart starts racing and skipping beats so keep taking the medication. The thyroid is scary because it affects almost every part of your body and can really mess you up.

• Lucianna_D
    Lucianna_D Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I've had hyperthyroid for years (Graves Disease)... I tried Methimazole & it didn't work for me it actually made me feel awful, then I was put on PTU propylthiouracil, this actually worked.. Getting adjusted took some time.. I too put on some weight and now well its hard very hard to take it off..
  • rebshu85
    Options
    I am on Methimazole. It really seems to be workings. Within a few days I can feel myself getting back to normal. My mood especially is much better. The hard part is just remembering to take the meds, I have never been really good about that but am really trying to remember.
    I know weight is only half my problem and that not taking my meds would make it much worse. Thank you. I am just struggling to adjust to this.
    I had actually joined MFP back in feb....and lost almost 35lbs. (12 of which I have put back on :ohwell: ) and then we moved and with the stress of that I stopped coming on (Big Mistake!!) So know I am back and trying to get my S**t together (easier said then done). My goal is to lose 5 lbs by the end of October, I figure I should be able to do that.
  • rachemn
    rachemn Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Hi There! Try lemon balm extract when your heart rate spikes, also try paying attention to what causes your heart rate to spike (sometimes it's nothing, I know). And do your research. I've been off Methimazole for a year now (this time). And have been doing really well. Now I'm just working on getting the weight off. Good Luck! :smile:

Where do you find lemon balm extract? I really want OFF this methimazole! I'm so tired of losing and gaining the same 20 pounds!
  • LMDelphia
    Options
    Hello! I actually have HYPOthyroidism, but I understand the weight jumping about. I too went from 105 to 185 and in between the past two years! (I'm 5'10, so neither of those are ok whatsoever). I am trying to just be happy and normal, working out a lot and eating clean. I need control of my body to feel good about myself. But medicine is supposed to help, just make sure they check your blood more than once every six months to make sure its working. My medicine goes up and down with weight, so hopefully it will ALL balance out soon. Also, check the medicine directions. Most thyroid meds say no eating for an hour after you take it to be on an empty stomach, no soy, no excessive iodine, no vitamins or fortified foods for two hours after, etc. Just knowing what you need to do will make it work better. If you have a thyroid auto-immune (I do) you will be on meds for life, so don't try to stop taking them or you WILL get super sick.
  • Uerzer
    Uerzer Posts: 273
    Options
    Does anyone have a hyperthyroid? I was recently diagnosed with one and have since been on medication. And in the past 2 months have GAINED about 10 lbs. Which doesn't make me want to take my medication............

take your medication.... im serious about that!