Menopausal mom trying to hold it all together

Options
Hello, everyone! If you are a woman on this delightful hormonal rollercoaster like I am, you know there is a lot of advice about what works for menopausal weight gain. I can’t believe it’s not an existing tag on this forum. If anything has worked for you, let me know!

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,872 Member
    Options
    I suppose I'm probably past the roller-coaster phase, since chemotherapy put me in menopause over 20 years ago, but I'm definitely menopausal, and was when I got here at age 59, back in 2015. For me, just getting my calorie intake at the right level led to weight loss - that after around 30 previous years of being overweight. Given how positive the results have been, I wish I'd done it years earlier! I'm 67 now, maintaining a healthy weight since age 60.

My vote is for finding new habits that are relatively easy to stick with long term, that also lead to sensibly moderate weight loss. Personally, I don't want just to be at a good weight, I want to be healthy if possible, and for that good nutrition and some exercise are also helpful IMO. ]

Different methods work for different people: There's no "one true way". I didn't do any particular named diet, just logged what I ate, reviewed my log, and gradually tweaked my routine eating patterns to meet my goals, eating foods I find tasty, filling, nutritious and practical. I pretty much eat the same range of foods I always did, just in different portion sizes, proportions, and frequencies. Add some exercise I personally find fun and a manageable bit of a challenge, and that seems to work OK.

You can succeed at this: I'm cheering for you!
  • lgmehling6033
    lgmehling6033 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Menaupause hit me around the same time i transitioned to whole food plant based eating 6 years ago at age 48. Beyond the hot flashes, I found having a regular intake of soy really assisted in keeping those and other hormonal swings in check. A little bit everyday. I do not take medications, or hormones. Going whole food plant based was a game changer for me overall tho. My inflammation dissppeared, i dont feel like crap every day, and I have way more energy and sleep better. As a result, i have more stamina and the energy to fight off any potential illnesses (Covid lasted a day and half with us), and to move more ( I walk a lot and take cardio classes). I lost inches first, and then the weight followed. I love to cook and we dont eat out often. I watch my portions because im admittedly a binge eater when food tastes good. I'm still working towards my ideal weight that I'd like to be, (dreaming of my pre kids weight 😂)but equally happy with the changes over the past 6 years. Natures medicine over pharma medictions for me any day. My philosophy is preventative maintenance goes a long way.