When to exercise?

Options
I've heard that you're supposed to eat in the mornings to get your metabolism going again. I've also heard that you should eat after exercisng. I've been exercising at night, but would really like to do it in the mornings while the kids are still sleeping...would be much better than doing it at 11:00 pm! I'm just not sure if I should exercise and then eat, or eat and then exercise. The idea of exercising on a full stomach doesn't sound very appealing, so I'm not sure what to do. Would appreciate it if you guys could share how you do it. Thank you!

Replies

• Stacey82
    Stacey82 Posts: 69
    Options
    I've heard that you're supposed to eat in the mornings to get your metabolism going again. I've also heard that you should eat after exercisng. I've been exercising at night, but would really like to do it in the mornings while the kids are still sleeping...would be much better than doing it at 11:00 pm! I'm just not sure if I should exercise and then eat, or eat and then exercise. The idea of exercising on a full stomach doesn't sound very appealing, so I'm not sure what to do. Would appreciate it if you guys could share how you do it. Thank you!
  • Bug263
    Bug263 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Eat before you exercise (at least 45 minutes before) and then a lite snack shortly after preferably with protein in it as this will also help hold off hunger til lunch, sometimes if I'm rushing to get my workout and food in I just split my breakfast for the before and after. Hope this helps!
  • tomyhealth
    tomyhealth Posts: 181
    Options
    I have heard that you should eat a light meal or snack before you workout and then another light meal or snack after. I work out after work so I eat veggies or fruit in the car on my way to the gym and then have supper when I get home. I weigh in this Monday so I will see if it works.:smile:
  • hartkid13
    hartkid13 Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    I exercise in the morning. I eat very lightly 45 to 60 minutes before the workout and then within a hour after the workout. I've always been told that protein and potassium are important in the meals around you workouts.
  • nitag
    nitag Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I never thought about this.. I get up at 4:30 or 5 Am Monday - Friday to exercise and food is the last thing on my mind... But now that I am thinking about it, on Wednesday's and Saturdays, I always eat first then exercise later (days off) and I have much more strength... But at night, I don't have the energy after working all day.. I'm going to have to think this one out... :yawn: :yawn:
  • naner
    naner Posts: 110
    Options
    is it okay to workout at nite???
  • naner
    naner Posts: 110
    Options
  • Stacey82
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! You guys are always so helpful!
    I split my breakfast my breakfast this morning...half before and half after. But I only waited about 15 mins before exercising. I'll have to plan it out a little better for tomorrow!
  • Stacey82
    Options

I don't know if it's okay or not. I know that I hate it! For me to do it at night I have to wait for my kids to go to bed. Then I have all the stuff to finish up around the house and get ready for school the next day. By the time I get to exercise I have to force myself to do it and do give it the effort that I should...so probably not as beneficial as it should be.
  • sassyredgirl
    sassyredgirl Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Exercising is just that it doesnt matter what time you are doing it as long as you do it.
  • LauraK216
    LauraK216 Posts: 104
    Options
    I usually eat a bowl of Special K (or a Special K waffle) and a small portion of fruit about 45mins before I work out. Then after I cool down, I usually eat a banana. It helps me a lot! And I always worry about muscle cramps and spasms due to low potassium, so that's why I go the banana route.
  • nobigdiehl
    nobigdiehl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've always been told that you should eat a high protein snack about 45 mins before you work out. A good suggestion is a protein bar (Like Odwalla or Luna bars). They will help you through a long workout. And working out at night is not bad for you. It is actually quite beneficial because your body burns calories and fat when you sleep. So when you work out before bed your body is actually burning more as your sleep than they normally would. I always workout at night. And most times I dont eat afterwards or if I do I eat, I eat something with a lot of lean protein or high water content like chicken breast or fruits and vegies and only a small amount.