Hiawassee88 Posts: 35,754 Member
    a468hyarl8v5.png
  • Hiawassee88
    dlw3j2bvbwpg.png
  • Hiawassee88
    edited March 2023
    @snowflake954 Many may never leave home, and that's alright. Kids can't afford a place of their own. Everything old is new again, but they'd better learn how to cook. Isn't that the way, in Italy? La famiglia sticks together, and takes care of each other. Residential care is avoided unless there's no other option.

Grandmaw's ways are best. She knows how to moderate portions, make something out of nothing, throw it into the oven, kick the door shut, and place it on the table, beautifully.

I believe dieting is the cause of food problems. The first diet is an enormous mistake. Don't start none - won't be none. All or Nothing food thinking. Eat all the things or nothin' much. When I was growing UP, we never talked about dieting or the scale. No one talked about it. We had a school cafeteria and everyone had the same lunch. I don't remember ever being hungry or thinking about food. There were so many other things to do, and we had a strong sense of loyalty taking care of one another. That's just the way we rolled.
    We're going back to that. I see it. That's nirvana. We are going to take care of each other, come hell or high water. I've experienced both.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    I remember my Dad when the pigs got too fat. He'd say "Gotta give them some oats for awhile--it'll slim them down". All these skills are out the window. People knew what to do in the past. We hardly ever ate out. All home cooking and we had a huge garden with fresh vegetables every summer. My Mom, who worked as a nurse at night, canned peaches and tomatoes. We were always working.
  • Hiawassee88
    edited March 2023
    @snowflake954 Boom. You're right on the money. Oats are just the ticket, for slimming the prize winning pig for the County Fair. Yes, indeedy. Did we talk about this, about 4 years ago. Feels like déjà vu. Do you remember feeling more déjà vu as a kid, than you do now. I felt it all of the time. Rarely, now.

My Grandmaw spent all of her time in the garden. She had so many children, she didn't know what to do. She canned and they stored all of those jars in an underground shelter. You remember. It's still there, with all of that food. They were prepared for everything. 🤣 On Sundays, she put the newspaper over her head, and pretended she was taking a long nap. She learned how to compartmentalize the kids and noise. You should've been there.

The black Hudson. She drove sooo slow, about 20 mph. Good thing, so many kids were crammed in the back seat, they fell out of the door, going around the corner, to the Dairy Queen. Took her over an hour to go 20 miles to the grocery store. She always pulled those speakers off the pole at the drive-in movie.

giphy.gif
  • Hiawassee88
    edited March 2023
  • snowflake954
    @snowflake954 Boom. You're right on the money. Oats are just the ticket, for slimming the prize winning pig for the County Fair. Yes, indeedy. Did we talk about this, about 4 years ago. Feels like déjà vu. Do you remember feeling more déjà vu as a kid, than you do now. I felt it all of the time. Rarely, now.

My Grandmaw spent all of her time in the garden. She had so many children, she didn't know what to do. She canned and they stored all of those jars in an underground shelter. You remember. It's still there, with all of that food. They were prepared for everything. 🤣 On Sundays, she put the newspaper over her head, and pretended she was taking a long nap. She learned how to compartmentalize the kids and noise. You should've been there.

The black Hudson. She drove sooo slow, about 20 mph. Good thing, so many kids were crammed in the back seat, they fell out of the door, going around the corner, to the Dairy Queen. Took her over an hour to go 20 miles to the grocery store. She always pulled those speakers off the pole at the drive-in movie.

giphy.gif

I can only say--they don't make em like they used to. :D:D

PS: And don't get me started on the county fair.
  • snowflake954
    Mom and Dad both came from families of 10. I can still remember Sundays at Grandma's (Dad's Ma) with all the cousins. The house was small--Grandpa had built it, and the adults were all crammed into the sitting room (grandma had that picture of Jesus that schimmied from 2 pics, one of his face on the cross, and the other blessing with his hand. I'd run from one side to another to see the difference), and all the kids were playing in a small back room. I have a pic of all of us there. Those were good times.
  • Hiawassee88
    fnw5ebiwusa1.png
  • Hiawassee88
    sam-elliot-mustache.gif
  • Hiawassee88
    253jqx7lnr1r.png
  • Hiawassee88
    captain-america-punching-bag.gif